Author Topic: ARRRRRGH - Bad Rules piss me off  (Read 340 times)

Offline SingleWingGoombah

• Silver
  • Because, football.
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Head Coach
ARRRRRGH - Bad Rules piss me off
« on: August 19, 2019, 12:13:12 PM »
So new league this year, its an unlimited with striper league.  I am coaching 6th grade, and will move up with the team, but I am seriously considering going to down to coach a 3rd/4th grade team next year just so I can show them how awful some of these rules are. 

- No one can be over the center, defined as no on in the A gap, closest defender to center on the line has to be head up over guard (not even inside shoulder of guard)
- 2nd level defenders cannot be closer than 5 yard to line of scrimmage
- no blitzing
- no QB sneaks defined as whoever takes the snap from under center or a direct snap with in 3 yards of LOS

Within 5 yards of the goalline, they were at least smart enough to have the 2nd level able to move up to 1 yard of the LOS.

Any other short yardage situation though is pretty much a gimme under these rules.  Just make the biggest A gap possible, and a quick and easy dive hand off.  You can have a center and 2 other rbs as lead blocks too. 
Any time you want to pass, line up in a 4 yard deep shot gun, and split out those guards again, as the d line are the only ones who can rush the passer.  Now you can send out your best athletes from the middle of the field with and the QB can run with the center freed up to lead block. 

And all stripers at all ages have to have a hand on the ground... cause lets make it harder on the big slow kid to get to their block. 

Rant over!

Online CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Double Wing
Re: ARRRRRGH - Bad Rules piss me off
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 12:43:42 PM »
We have very similar rules in our league 1st-3rd with the A-gap restrictions.  Althought only a MLB over the center is restricted to start 5 yards back.  Other LBs can align shallower.

For short yardage if you really want to prevent the up the middle dive.  Put LBs on the LOS head up on the OT as additional DL, then stunt them in to the A-gap.  Might be able to get away with that as it's not necessarily against the rules.

Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

• Silver
  • Because, football.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
We have very similar rules in our league 1st-3rd with the A-gap restrictions.  Althought only a MLB over the center is restricted to start 5 yards back.  Other LBs can align shallower.

For short yardage if you really want to prevent the up the middle dive.  Put LBs on the LOS head up on the OT as additional DL, then stunt them in to the A-gap.  Might be able to get away with that as it's not necessarily against the rules.

Except my guards have a 20 yard split from the center, so the OT are like 21 yards away.

Online CoachSugg

• Bronze
  • Work Hard! Play Hard!!
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:18:15 PM »
LOL

Actually my first run thru this with my previous team, I did that at 8u, just slightly less exaggerated.  I'd run 3-4 yard split between the C and Gs, and then I'd snap it and immediately hand it to the sniffer back.  Wouldn't ya know it, the next year they "clarified" the rules.

Initially the ref's were over enforcing the rule and almost had the DG's in the B gap.

I'm president of our league now.  The rules have been specifically clarified so that the DG must align no closer than a 2 tech, and must at least initiate contact with the G prior to going through the A-gap or they can go through the vacated space in case of a pull.  It is there is protect an Under center snap for 1 second, after that we let them play.  Haven't had many issues on it over the past few years.

But it could definitely be exploited as the rules are written for a 20 yard A gap.  What saves us is that we don't allow a LB over center closer than 4 yards.  But any other LB can be within a yard of the LOS L or R of the Center.  So wouldn't really work too effectively within our rules.  Our only goal is to protect the snap for that 1 second.
Kent Sugg
Bridge Creek, OK

Offline CoachBigD

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
Interesting rules.  I'd take advantage of them as you stated, particularly with a really wide A Gap.  I coach 5/6th grade, and we play by high school rules, which in fine with me.

Online terrypjohnson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 12:47:54 AM »
I have the same problem. I don't like the red stripe because my son can't play TE because the "stripes" have to play tackle-to-tackle. He's not even allowed to line up in a 5-technique on defense. Sadly, he's the only player I have that can consistently catch.

The only good thing is that I can lineup my Mike at 3 yards instead of 5.

Offline sabot6d

• Copper
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 02:03:58 AM »
If they gave me a dumb rule like that id put everything i had  as far away as possible like the lonesome polecat.

Offline Coach E

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 10:05:19 AM »
Our org's rules:
  • Offensive Line Splits: Must be no further than the ability to extend both arms simultaneously to their sides and still make contact with the hands of the lineman on either side. Tight Ends can split out in all grades (9yd from sideline). This is consistent with the defensive line rule, which requires Head-up alignment. (Warning on first offense, then assessed a 5 yd penalty for illegal formation).
  • Defensive Line Alignment: All down defensive lineman must be lined up directly across (helmet to-helmet) from their offensive counterpart. Defensive End is to line anywhere from head-up on the Offensive Tackle to the outside shoulder of the Tight End (or where a tight end would be in the case of a split end). (Warning on first offense, then assessed a 5 yd penalty for illegal defense).
  • Defensive Stunting Rule: No defensive stunting is allowed at any time. To allow for proper adherence to this rule, at the snap of the ball a defensive  layer must only cross the line of scrimmage in a straight path (no slanting). A defensive player with left or right gap responsibilities must first cross the line of scrimmage, making contact with the offensive lineman if necessary, before moving laterally to cover either gap. This rule is intended to prevent defensive line stunting and we ask that coaches respect the spirit of this rule. The only exception to this is the Defensive End. The DE can line up in the gap between the Tackle and Tight End. (First offense 5 yd penalty, subsequent infractions 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalties).
  • Blitzing Rule: Absolutely no blitzing is allowed. Blitzing is defined as a linebacker/cornerback/safety vacating their normal responsibilities to attack the offensive backfield in a pre-determined manner. Linebackers/safeties/cornerbacks must be coached to read and react to what they see on the field. A LB/CB or S can make his first move forward after the snap as he reads the play. No LB/CB/S can be moving forward prior to the snap of the ball. A false start by a LB/CB/S on a long count is evidence of the intention to blitz and will be assessed a penalty. LB's must be 3 yards from the LOS at the snap of the ball. CB's must be 5 yards and safeties must be 7 yards from the LOS at the snap. During an extra point or inside of the 3-yard line, LB's and CB's may move up to one yard from the LOS, but still may not blitz. This rule is a fair play and safety rule. We are trying to teach our players the basic fundamentals of youth football and expect every coach to respect the spirit of this rule. (First offense 5 yd penalty, subsequent infractions 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty)
  • Quarterback Sneak Rule: Due to the no-blitzing rule, the quarterback cannot advance the ball in between the tackles if there is less than 3 yards to go for a first down, whenever the team is inside the 5 yard line (including extra points). NO QUARTER BACK SNEAKS ON SHORT YARDAGE – No exceptions – even a broken play must be run as described. (5yd penalty)
  • Down Lineman Stances: All offensive and Defensive lineman must be down in a 3 (three) or 4 (four) point stance with the exception of the Defensive End who may remain in a 2 (two) point up position. (Warning, then 5 yd illegal formation penalty).
  • Offensive Line: There will be a balanced 7 man offensive line at all times. Offensive and defensive ends must be on the line of scrimmage, but they can be split and they need not be in a down position. (The tight end DOES NOT have to be in a three-point stance if split wider than 2 yards). All players split wide must not be within 9 yards of the sideline. (5-yd penalty)
  • Defensive Formation: Defense must be in a 4-4 formation only (4 man line, 4 Linebackers and 2 Cornerbacks and one Safety). Only a 4-man balanced line is allowed (No down player lined up across from center). Defensive End is to line anywhere from head-up on the Offensive Tackle to the outside shoulder of the Tight End (or where a tight end would be in the case of a split end). Inside linebackers should be balanced horizontally and should start out stacked (behind Defensive lineman) but can shade left or right one gap depending on responsibilities. Linebackers must be at least 3 yards off the line of scrimmage, Corners 5 yards off the line of scrimmage and the Safety must be at least 7 yards off the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped. You can move your Corners and Safety up to three (3) yards off the line of scrimmage within your own 10-yard line. During an extra-point or inside your own 3-yard line, the linebackers can be lined up 1 yard off the line of scrimmage.
  • Offensive Man in Motion (5th and 6th grade only): Motion is ALLOWED, however; at the snap of the ball there must be at least 3 offensive backs in the backfield between the Offensive Tackles. (Illegal Motion 5 yard Penalty).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Marcus Aurelius

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 10:32:10 AM »
I can’t even follow all that worthless drivel.

—Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 11:02:16 AM »
um...wow...those are a lot of rules...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline Coach E

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
um...wow...those are a lot of rules...

Yeah. No Beast or UBSW, no Trips/Quads, no wide splits... I tried to run Cisar's Single Wing my first year, but kept getting flagged for having the QB run wedge. They were calling it a QB Sneak so he had to hand it off.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Marcus Aurelius

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 11:35:03 AM »
Our Second Grade Division used to have a Rule where you couldn't cover the Center. Then when everyone went huge A Gap splits they revised it to DG's had to align  yard away  from the Center.

They no longer have this Rule but I actually agreed with the Spirit of the Rule.

Gave the O a better chance of actually running a play rather than jail-breaking the Center every play.

But for the older age groups....no.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 02:10:15 PM »
Whoah! All these rules are for Middle School?  ???

Online CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2019, 02:19:27 PM »
Gave the O a better chance of actually running a play rather than jail-breaking the Center every play.

Being able to jail-break the Center is a sure sign that either the wrong kid is playing Center, or he hasn't been coached very well.  We went the final six games of the 2002 season, the entire 2003 season and the first 4 games of the 2004 season without a fumbled snap or glitch from Center (ages 7-9 and 8-11).  It can be done.  We implemented a Snap/Step System with our Center and QB, when we saw that teams would try to abuse an opponent's Center.  We still use it today as an EDD.  But heck, as stupid as the rule is, I'd love it.  I'd run Fullback Wedge all day, and I don't line up anyone in the A-Gaps anyway, despite not having the stupid rule.

--Dave
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:24:41 PM by CoachDP »
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

• Silver
  • Because, football.
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2019, 02:36:32 PM »
Our org's rules:
Offensive Line Splits: Must be no further than the ability to extend both arms simultaneously to their sides and still make contact with the hands of the lineman on either side. Tight Ends can split out in all grades (9yd from sideline). This is consistent with the defensive line rule, which requires Head-up alignment. (Warning on first offense, then assessed a 5 yd penalty for illegal formation).

When we were on defense, I would request their splits to be verified every single play.  And please walkoff the 9 yards on that split end too.  He looks a little snug to the sideline.  Thank you mr official.