Author Topic: Defend this  (Read 173 times)

Offline Vikecoach26

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
Defend this
« on: August 21, 2019, 09:16:02 AM »
Our first game is approaching (6th grade) and have a new team in the league that runs a pistol with 2x2 sets. Their QB and RB seem to be their best players. The RB is very shifty and has very good speed, the QB is a bigger kid who looks to have better feet then an arm. We run a base 5-3 but can show some 4-4, 6-2 looks as well. anyone have success against this look and have any advice?

Thanks!

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Defend this
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 10:21:02 AM »
I always start with coverage?

Whats your coverage? can I assume when youre in the 5-3 its cover 1?

When you go into 4-4 are you cover 1 or 3 or cover 2 man under (2 Man) for passing teams?

Whats your DE play in the 5-3? box, contain or force? when you go into 4-4 do you use DEs and is it just to strong side?

I tend to go with the Collapse on the QB and force him to prove he can throw especially when they are 2x2 with little protection in the backfield.

Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline blockandtackle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 10:37:38 AM »
Our first game is approaching (6th grade) and have a new team in the league that runs a pistol with 2x2 sets. Their QB and RB seem to be their best players. The RB is very shifty and has very good speed, the QB is a bigger kid who looks to have better feet then an arm. We run a base 5-3 but can show some 4-4, 6-2 looks as well. anyone have success against this look and have any advice?

Thanks!

Can they throw?

If not, turn your 5-3 into a 5-2, man up on the WRs in Cov. 0, pinch the DTs into B gap, slant the NT, have 1 LB fill the opposite A gap, and keep the other LB as a free hitter in the box.  This will force them to pass.  Keep 7 in the box.  7 in the box from 4 wide is almost impossible to run on.  For long yardage/passing downs, you can play Cov. 3 or just pin your ears back and bring pressure on that young QB to see if he can make a good throw--few can at that age.

If you are worried about the pass and they play 2X2 sets exclusively, the 4-4 with Cov. 1 and Cov. 3 look better.   Put the OLBs on #2.  CBs on #1.  Blitz the ILBs and stunt your DTs around when you want to bring pressure.  The 4-4 can be a great blitzing platform.

Trips sets can be a pain if you're not used to them, but they don't have to be.  From the 5-3/5-1, if you're cool with Cov. 3, just slide the WOLB back into the box and cheat your MLB to a 50 tech over the strong side T (you may need to slant or adjust your DL so the MLB is a B or C gap player or a free hitter) and the FS cheated over behind him, then play Cov. 3 with the MLB walling off #3 and the FS cheat.  Man up the weak side WR with the CB and RB with the WOLB.

The same concept applies to the 4-4 vs. Trips:  Cheat your MLB to a 50, check Cov. 3 as a 1/4, 1/4, 1/2 concept, and do what's basically the same stuff alignment and covereage-wise to the Trips.  This allows you to do some stuff on the weakside to double that single receiver if they're hurting you with that matchup--cheat the OLB out onto that weakside WR and roll your CB deep to play 1/2.  Your FS can play the 1/4 on the strong hash--cap the deep route of anything going inside the hash.  Strongside CB can play the 1/4 on the strong numbers.

Vs. sprint out pass, teach your ILBs how to do "secondary contain."  If the QB is sprinting or rolling to the ILB's side, he'll come hard off the edge to attack the QB's near hip while the BSLB rotates to the hole in the underneath middle of the field to look for crossers--especially drags.  You can do this in any defense that keeps 2 LBs in the box, either the 5-2 look or the 4-4 I just described.

Teach your DL to play their gap and, in a pass rush, look for "aiming points" on the QB.  DEs should attack the QB's near shoulder and try to keep him contained inside.  DTs should attack his near number.  NT goes for his belt buckle in the 50.  If they're getting a pass rush, the DEs need to be taught to be disciplined and not make an inside move until they're at even depth with the QB--if they shoot inside too early without someone else on contain, they blow contain and the QB has room to scramble or roll out.

If you really want to mess with a team that has a running QB, play the 4-4 in a Cov. 0, but line up as if it's Cov. 1 and have your FS just step up to about 5-8 yards and spy the QB the whole way.  If that QB tries to drop back and then just scramble and run over you on the ground, your FS should be ready to stick him.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »
I tend to go with the Collapse on the QB and force him to prove he can throw especially when they are 2x2 with little protection in the backfield.

The best pass defense is a heavy rush to the QB.  Respect the run and pressure the QB, and since it's simple to do both at the same time, they have only to prove to you that they can throw and catch on a consistent basis.  Few 6th-grade QBs are willing to stand in the pocket.  Fewer still play on a team that can form a pocket.  Don't overthink it.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 11:19:36 AM »
9th grade down you need to prove to me you can throw for me to respect your spread offense.

Cover 0 man free, or 00 and be creative and simple in your pressures.

Im being asked to coach 8th grade defense, literally just got the call and was asked " we need you and that spread killer defense".  All it is was cover 0 and 00 from 425.

Ill put some things here if you are considering just being a damn dirty ape.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:39:04 AM by ZACH »
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 11:27:26 AM »
9th grade down you need to prove the me you can throw for me to respect your spread offense.

All day, every day. In fact, I am getting tired of repeating myself on this matter. Coach Lonnie runs our scout offense and likes to boot out and throw the deep ball to the kids we ignore. They had 2 TDs last night from trips. 3RD GRADE TRIPS!!!  My DB coach started adjusting to cover the WR and I waived him off. He said, "they just threw over the top to a wide open guy". My response: "Let's see them make that play with an 8 year old at QB instead of a 30 year old and we'll talk." A few minutes later, they ran the same play with a HS safety (big brother of a player). We nearly picked it off. For me, you need to score twice through the air before I even pay attention.

Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 11:48:29 AM »
Ill put some things here if you are considering just being a damn dirty ape.

Oooo! 
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Vikecoach26

• Copper
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Wing-in-it, DE's are there to be force players and we are in cover 1 correct. Zach, yes I interested to hear more. Help me with the "spread killer"

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 01:25:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Wing-in-it, DE's are there to be force players and we are in cover 1 correct. Zach, yes I interested to hear more. Help me with the "spread killer"

You got it...

"Panther"
-----------------------------F
------------S----------m----b--------W
-------c----------6----2----2----6---------c
------x--------------0-0-#-0-0-------------y
-------------h-------------1--------------z

Bare bones right?

Panther 0 aka scratch (man free)- boundary backer blitzes unless game planned other wise. Fred plays mid field checking back out to crosser. If sam or will blitz is called fred takes over that assignment. If "saw" is called fred takes field slot, bud or boundary mlb takes boundary slot. Mike then plays free.

Panther 00 or "claw" 
Middle backers play 6 man pressure , fred spies qb to rb

Secret is the 6 tech ends. In base they have back out and qb contain. They can also be added to blitzes like sam,will, or saw and drop to curl flat to create a zone under pressure while maintaining pocket control. In pressures that invlove the 6 tech to leave his post he is to do so.

Out of your 50

----------------------------f
-------------s------------m------------w
-------c-----------6--3--0--3--6---------c
------x--------------0-0-#-0-0-------------y
-------------h-------------1--------------z

Same applies...fred covers for Blitzer in 0 man free...unless its mike...he just plays under.  The 50 is great 7 man pressures bc you dont need to move much to create and over load.

Same applies 6 tech has back out, qb contain

Offline Vikecoach26

• Copper
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
Zach, thanks for the info. I will take this and play with it at practice this week.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
Zach, thanks for the info. I will take this and play with it at practice this week.

Dont know your age group

Simply put , you have a guy, you have a gap, you are the back up and the rest of you find ball and tackle it.

Be aggressive at all times.

Offline Vikecoach26

• Copper
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »
6th grade. I agree!