Author Topic: Fitting the Kids Into Positions  (Read 113 times)

Offline Coach E

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
Fitting the Kids Into Positions
« on: August 21, 2019, 12:27:06 PM »
I am helping coach a team and the HC of the varsity has asked me if I'd be willing to run a Wing-T style offense. I don't have to, but he'd like me to. So, I sent him this manual and asked if this was OK. Yes!

Right now, I have 14 kids for sure...maybe 15. I am hoping to get up to 18 by the first game in two weeks. We are in a weight-limited league with no one over 150 lbs allowed to play any of the positions that can catch, throw or run with the ball in the normal course of play. (We are allowed to put them there during XP attempts, though.) I have 6 players definitely over the 150 mark (165+), one kid at 152 and the rest range from 84 to 140 pounds. The following is based on "classic" position assignments in the DCWT manual.
  • My 152 lb kid is my FB all the way. No doubt.
  • I have another kid - kind of a goofball and gets contact shy at times - who is definitely my HB. Good hands, good speed, can catch and throw well.
  • My WB is smaller, but is the third fastest on the team behind my right guard (174 lbs) and my FB
  • I have two kids at SE - 84 and 110 lbs - that can both catch and have decent speed.
  • I have two kids at TE - both in the mid 140s - that can catch and block reasonably well. Neither has ever played football before this year.
  • My linemen are assigned by ability with my best two at LT and RG. I have two guys at RT - my weakest overall lineman and another first year player with decent size.
  • That leaves my QB. He's the second smallest on the team but has a decent arm. I can tell he's nervous as hell, but doesn't talk much. I need to get him going and he is my project player for the season. Right now, I feel I have no where else to play him.

My conundrum: substitutions. I could probably swap around the HB, FB and WB, but there would be no one to fill their spots in return. Also, my HB could play QB (he did for a time last season), but again, no one to step in. I only want my 84 pounder to play SE - he's also a first timer - and is really too small to put anywhere else. The other SE is being trained at WB but is way too slow to actually run a play, but can certainly get in the way during a block.

Anyone have suggestions on how to work subs in? I know I need to get more guys, but these are my limitations.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Marcus Aurelius

Offline DREagle

• Bronze
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Retired
Re: Fitting the Kids Into Positions
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »
If you stick with the manual you can get plays/subs in at SE.  Send the plays in with the SE and rotate at least 3 "starters" (you only need one that can actually catch).  I usually did the same with TE if I needed plays for kids and would just run away from the strong side on plays where I had a weaker blocker in.

This way you've got simple instructions for the kids that you are rotating in. SE is almost always heading straight for the nearest deepest defender and the TE is reaching on the backside.

If you are asking about training backups with a really limited roster I would suggest cross training your entire backfield. You need at least one more player that can learn multiple spots back there so you have at least one sub.  Any linemen that can make it weight and agility wise?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 04:38:05 PM by DREagle »

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 05:02:56 PM »
  • My 152 lb kid is my FB all the way. No doubt.

Nice
  • I have another kid - kind of a goofball and gets contact shy at times - who is definitely my HB. Good hands, good speed, can catch and throw well.
I wouldn't put him at HB if he is contact shy. Typically if everyone on other teams wants this one player of yours, he is your HB. You may wanna trade your FB to HB and train up or have another FB. Just saying from experience
he sounds like a good TE candidate
  • My WB is smaller, but is the third fastest on the team behind my right guard (174 lbs) and my FB

I can see this but I cant see the RG being the fastest and be on the line but you know them more than I
  • That leaves my QB. He's the second smallest on the team but has a decent arm. I can tell he's nervous as hell, but doesn't talk much. I need to get him going and he is my project player for the season. Right now, I feel I have no where else to play him.
You have a project player at QB and he's nervous? I don't need my QBs to be vocal leaders or anything but they need to be pretty mentally tough.

Anyone have suggestions on how to work subs in? I know I need to get more guys, but these are my limitations.
Score in 5 plays and play defense  ;)
I typically didn't have my QB play defense so he just was next to me while the defense was on the field so I can talk adjustments to him without waiting till halftime.
I usually didn't change out my FB or WB or HB unless I had to due to injury. My HB and WB played both sides FB not so much. Sometimes I put him on the D line to knock some people around, he liked it
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline Coach E

• Silver
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 10:28:04 PM »
I wouldn't put him at HB if he is contact shy. Typically if everyone on other teams wants this one player of yours, he is your HB. You may wanna trade your FB to HB and train up or have another FB. Just saying from experience
That makes sense. However, we ran Gauntlet and 10 Yard Fight tonight and the contact shyness seems to be gone. He was attacking the defenders. We'll see how it goes, but he looks good there so far.

I can see this but I cant see the RG being the fastest and be on the line but you know them more than I

He is the fastest and most athletic. However, because of the weight limit I can only play him on the line on offense.

You have a project player at QB and he's nervous? I don't need my QBs to be vocal leaders or anything but they need to be pretty mentally tough.

True. I will need to rethink this. It was kind of down to "FB...Check. HB...Check. WB...Check." My thinking is my TEs, both brand new to football, will be easier to train there. One kid certainly has the athletic ability to be QB, but when he asked me the difference between a Safety position and a Safety score, I thought QB would be a tough mission for this year.

Score in 5 plays and play defense  ;)

See? This is why I ask the experts! It didn't even occur to me to do this.

I typically didn't have my QB play defense so he just was next to me while the defense was on the field so I can talk adjustments to him without waiting till halftime.

I like that idea. I think I'll steal it

I usually didn't change out my FB or WB or HB unless I had to due to injury. My HB and WB played both sides FB not so much. Sometimes I put him on the D line to knock some people around, he liked it

If you are asking about training backups with a really limited roster I would suggest cross training your entire backfield. You need at least one more player that can learn multiple spots back there so you have at least one sub. 

Well, we're definitely into ironman territory this season. Lots of playing time all around.

Any linemen that can make it weight and agility wise?

No, unfortunately. I'm kinda skating by the rules a bit if my guys are within 2-3 lbs. The guys on the line are all well over the limit. If I could, that RG would be my FB, the FB would go to HB and the HB would go to QB.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
- Marcus Aurelius

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 07:32:27 AM »
The guys on the line are all well over the limit. If I could, that RG would be my FB, the FB would go to HB and the HB would go to QB.
I didn't realize the weight limits on runners so this changes the whole scope of my previous post. I was thinking the same thing but as I was typing it I thought there may be some limits you were dealing with.

Glad the HB is getting there

Keep posting progress. and if you need anything were here.
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 02:50:58 PM »
Only wr, Wb, and TE got subbed for me. Occasionally the hb did ,this was based on his conditioning.

If i had wing backs that could really break open a game ide keep him in too.
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random