Author Topic: 2019 Peewee  (Read 578 times)

Offline JustPlay

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Winners do
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Coordinator
2019 Peewee
« on: August 24, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
Today we played the league champs  from last year. They had 19 returning players.

We beat them pretty good. I would say the score was 28-0. My kb defense scored 14. Pick 6 and scoop and score. We did not allow a first down till the last 5 mins of the game with game in hand. all my first years were getting reps. They had a blast. We had two whos ball shouts today - They caused a fumble on a qb keeper - ball comes flying out and my line all start shouting "Whos Ball!" They other was my OLB  ripping the ball out of the rb hands  - running back to the sideline - "whos ball coach!"

Offense was ok. but I dont deal with that side of the ball. Go team!

nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2019 Peewee
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 07:26:14 PM »
Nice !
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 07:45:12 PM »
We had two whos ball shouts today

I should have gotten it copyrighted back in 1999.

Congrats on the game!

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline JustPlay

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Winners do
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
Who's Ball - brought to by Coach Potter TM
nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:48:48 PM »
Today we played the league champs  from last year. They had 19 returning players.

We beat them pretty good. I would say the score was 28-0. My kb defense scored 14. Pick 6 and scoop and score. We did not allow a first down till the last 5 mins of the game with game in hand. all my first years were getting reps. They had a blast.
Awesome job coach

We had two whos ball shouts today - They caused a fumble on a qb keeper - ball comes flying out and my line all start shouting "Whos Ball!" They other was my OLB  ripping the ball out of the rb hands  - running back to the sideline - "whos ball coach!"

I used to hand out crunch bars for causing a fumble and for retrieving a fumble or a pick.  (Thanks DP)
I gave the crunch bars out at Mondays practice after the game.

One of my players, who is actually in intensive burn care in San Antonio hospital for a work related accident, ( keep Tyler Maddox in your thoughts and prayers if you can) He knocks the snot out of some kid then recovers the fumble jumps up while the other kid is still on the ground puts the ball straight up in the air like He-Man style and shouts "CRUNCH BAR!!"

The parents got a kick out of it.

Side note as I may not be able to just leave my last comment as is.
Tyler is doing pretty good, he has been there for about 2 weeks and they hope he can be transferred here to a Houston Hospital soon

I don't want to derail this thread but I sometimes type as I am thinking about it. I'll open up another thread with an update later.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:41:37 AM by Wing-n-It »
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline JustPlay

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Winners do
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 11:07:57 PM »
We won 14-7.

Defense was strong. We did not give up the TD. IT was a muffed punt that caused the 7. We did get stung on a reverse. OLB and DE were having too much fun crushing the rb/qb's. I will live with the aggression. Film shows that my De's are not doing their jobs on force. A good team will eat us up on B gap. Very weird film review shows my Left side DE and OLB kinda switching places. OLB would run a twist inside and DE would contain. Not my doing. We had a pick and fumble recovery. we did give up 3 first downs and most of that was self inflicted. Both my corners were moving like tar in the winter. Explosion drills are coming this week. My line was not getting off the ball very quick so we will need to work on that. MLB had a great day. 9 tackles patrolling the paint.

Offense is still stuck in the mud. Everything behind the LOS is slow. Snap is slow - even under center. Hand off is slow. wrong angle. stuttering RB dancing waiting for ball to be handed off. Causes hole to open and close before RB gets there. side passing was slow. go routes were spread to far out, so the qb could not throw the go route. I know O is more difficult than defense, but we play an equal team next week and we are going to be in a dog fight unless the O can put up some points.

Offline JustPlay

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Winners do
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 02:12:15 PM »
Week 4- 28-0

I should preface this by saying I watched film on them -

We played the league offensive point leader. From the get go the boys were focused and did their jobs. These guys ran a DW with a an effective FB dive. My MLB rose to the occasion. When the DW cant run a dive you have to head outside where the KB is brutal. Passing at this age is minimal. They were shut down and the frustration on the other side line was loud enough for our parents to hear.

Our O put up more points this week than we have all season. Its amazing how more effective you are when you know who to block.

On to the next week.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 07:27:04 PM »
Rollin'
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 02:36:26 PM »
Week 4- 28-0
Was that your 4th game, or 3rd?

Offline JustPlay

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Winners do
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 07:12:08 PM »
4th Game. 3rd game we won 7-6. Defense was alive and good, but we were having some "issues" on the first drive getting in to game mode. I asked about this on the board and did a little extra and we pitched a shut out.

My kids are flying around having a blast on D. Offense is coming along. My HC ( who is my bro) is working hard on it. O is much more detailed than D. With D I have every base covered by 2-3 guys. On O its hard to go anywhere if just one player is not dialed in. So I have started breaking down the O on film and giving my 2 cents on how I think they will attack us - how I would attack us with their players. We had 4 scores last week. Which was equal to our entire seasons output.

Offline JustPlay

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Winners do
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 02:20:45 PM »
Win 33-13. Defense gave up 7 on the fist series.  ???

It was a 9 am start and it was wet. First time our kids played in water. Had a few fumbles and missed tackles. Their only score on defense was a result of my DE not closing the B gap and 4 missed tackles. OLB went IN and mlb took wrong angle and one player actually thought my corner had him so just watched... AGHGHGHGHHG.

The rest of the game was easy. no first downs. 1 pick. The team we were playing was very poor. Looking at film we really did not execute on the line like I want but the 7 non line were amazing as usual. Most of my mpp player got 25 reps on D alone thanks to a diligent AC .

On O it appears we did well but when I look at film it was just our players were faster than theirs. We did get MPP 2 TD and 2 ext points.

We did give up an TD on kickoff. "Hey lets kick it deep to be kind.....(me) Hey we never practice kicking deep, lets not do stuff we dont practice.  - HC go ahead and kick it deep.

I know we won, but I do not feel satisfied. So much work to be done.

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
We did give up an TD on kickoff. "Hey lets kick it deep to be kind.....(me) Hey we never practice kicking deep, lets not do stuff we dont practice.  - HC go ahead and kick it deep.

Id like to have heard that conversation after the KOR.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »
Win 33-13. Defense gave up 7 on the fist series.  ???

Their only score on defense was a result of my DE not closing the B gap and 4 missed tackles. OLB went IN and mlb took wrong angle and one player actually thought my corner had him so just watched... AGHGHGHGHHG.

The team we were playing was very poor.

Looking at film we really did not execute on the line

our players were faster than theirs.
You should have blown these guys out of the water. Your studs got you that game. Y'all need to be better coaches than your players are studs

You need to find away to keep them hungry during a game they "should win", I hate that should win crap players start playing easy, coaches start coaching like "We got this"
which brings me to my next friggen point

This burns my A$$ like you wouldn't believe. They should have scored 0 points on y'all. No mental mistakes. If you don't deal with this now, you'll be bounced out in the first round of playoffs, if you make it.
DONT coach to your opponent, unless your opponent is you.

Look through game film, find the hardest hit after half time and go buy a practice jersey that's black or just a different color from your teams practice jersey and hand it to the player with the hardest hit from last game. Once the kids see him wearing the different jersey after you told them that he had the hardest hit of the game, they will be like sharks in a feeding frenzy wanting to get the biggest hit and they will smell blood when the game is in your favor and play harder so you wont see players "taking a play off" when they feel they "got this"

I know we won, but I do not feel satisfied. So much work to be done.
You won on score board

sorry for the brutality but you literally nailed my first few years before I went Potter Gregory style

Dave P is who I got the jersey idea from
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:44:06 PM by Wing-n-It »
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »
Heh...in our game we needed an onside recovery to tie, and we never practiced it.  Our HC on the sideline just described it to our kicker and a few from our cover team.  It almost worked -- could not have done it better if we'd practiced it!

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 04:39:37 PM »
It almost worked -- could not have done it better if we'd practiced it!

So if you'd recovered it, wouldn't that have worked out better?

--Dave

The Mission Statement: