Author Topic: First Game in the Books  (Read 230 times)

Offline lobwedge

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
First Game in the Books
« on: August 29, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
Well we had our first set of games this weekend switching to the DC WingT this off season. I coach 2 teams, 4th and 5th graders on one and 6th and 7th on the other. We won with the younger team(hey, what else do you want right), but feel we left a lot on the table. After reviewing film, my fullback needs to carry out his fakes and get out on his block when he's not getting the ball. We need to fix 47 speed. Only ran it 4 times and never got more than 8 yrds. my #4 back gets lazy in his motion at times and the tackle is not getting out fast enough. Drill tonight with a rabbit on the 4 and ball drill the tackle to get out faster. The older team lost but we played last years champions who got even better this year. After watching film, we have a lot to clean up. We scored twice on this team, and we never scored on them at all last year, so improvements were made. All the kids are loving the system and most of the parents are enjoying it as well. I learned much about play calling the DC Wing T this weekend and we should be much better for our next round of games. Both teams have installed 24, 16, 38, 23, 33 quick, 15, 47 speed, and wedge. We will be installing 32 trap and midline over this week and next. The older team is crossblocking but not consistently. Pass left and Right worked a couple of times but need to rep this more. Overall this weekend i give us a C+.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: First Game in the Books
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 03:49:49 PM »
After reviewing film, my fullback needs to carry out his fakes and get out on his block when he's not getting the ball.
Definently fix these
We need to fix 47 speed. Only ran it 4 times and never got more than 8 yrds.
???  I cant remember running this play 4 times in a game. I think 3 was my max. Try not to run it too much as the adjustment they will make wont let anything worth while work.
my #4 back gets lazy in his motion at times
Replace him as soon as you see it. Use your backup to light a fire under the number one
and the tackle is not getting out fast enough.
make sure the SE isn't too far out. If your LT is your backup FB he should be fine.
Drill tonight with a rabbit on the 4 and ball drill the tackle to get out faster.
Also have the WB stare down the corner as he runs towards him. It keeps his view off of the LT.
I learned much about play calling the DC Wing T this weekend and we should be much better for our next round of games. Both teams have installed 24, 16, 38, 23, 33 quick, 15, 47 speed, and wedge.
I stopped installing plays and I just installed tags and cues.
We will be installing 32 trap
LEFT 32 trap is one of my favorite plays.
The older team is crossblocking but not consistently.
I only taught cross blocking when we faced a 6 man front. It was an easy install but I didn't use it too much as most youth dad coaches tried to stop this offense with a 5-3 cause of my wedging night and day and almost on every play.
Pass left and Right worked a couple of times but need to rep this more. Overall this weekend i give us a C+.
I don't know why the TE is always open, he must be the most ignored player on the offense.

Start looking at the other teams best tacklers, the nice thing about this offense is you can change on the fly and either run away from them or put a blocker on them.

Attack where they are not. If you need more I will PM you my number
Have fun this year and go get 2 trophies
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline lobwedge

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 04:11:38 PM »
Thanks for the input Coach. We got some things fixed in practice this week and will have next week as well before our next game. We are using Backs Over, Power, Jet, and Slot cues. Will be putting in Left and Right Cues along with Trap next week. We also got one of our best linemen back this week.(a recess incident at school kept him out of our first game  ::)). I had in my play call list to run 47 speed once per quarter. Should it only be once per half?
I think i have the 4 back fixed. It was more of a timing issue that he was slowing down and he was too far off the line as well. He knew he couldn't go forward from motion until the snap, but because he was so deep, he couldn't always get out to his block. We made sure he always aligns with the QB now for his route to the 6 for his base block. i adjusted his steps as well and made sure he walks them off every time. Timing was looking good for 47 Speed and 25 power. We ran all our plays without the ball, so all the backs could do their job without worrying who was getting the ball. Fakes and blocks looking much better. We will continue to fine tune as we go, but any help is appreciated.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 04:25:10 PM »
We ran all our plays without the ball, so all the backs could do their job without worrying who was getting the ball. Fakes and blocks looking much better. We will continue to fine tune as we go, but any help is appreciated.
Once I started doing this it was like a light bulb came on for not only me but them as well.

This is a huge adjustment and a good thing you did. Very nice coach
Robert

Offline lobwedge

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 12:48:38 PM »
Now second set of games this season. Much improved.  :). The younger team scored 6 tds with our backup fullback. (our starter was out for this game). Wedge is really starting to be effective, 24 and 23 gashed them up. scored twice on 38 power toss. Fakes were much better and effective. Defensively, we are still giving up too many pionts and will be correcting some things this week. The older team still won despite only scoring 2 TDs thanks to the Killer Bee. Both were passing TDs which is rare for us in the past. Once we started moving the ball, they sold out and blitzed our nasty split and corner from the right side. Pass right one helped with that. 47 speed is still not what is should be for either team but is improving. I think i only ran it once per half this time.  ;D. We will be playing a benchmark game this week with a perennial contender for the championship. We will be perfecting our 32 trap and getting is some more passing practice because i can see more teams loading up to stop the runs. What are some of your adjustments to blitzing the nasty split and corner on the right side? Thanks.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 12:59:50 PM »
We ran all our plays without the ball, so all the backs could do their job without worrying who was getting the ball.

We've run our Double Wing with our eyes closed.  "Eyes Wide Shut" drill.  Both with and without the ball.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »
What are some of your adjustments to blitzing the nasty split and corner on the right side? Thanks.
QB wedge

Do they follow motion? Who follows WB when in motion. A corner who follows WB across formation can be taken out of the play by Jet 24 where the WB will be past the QB at snap

Run left

or 24 Power

Left 32 trap should really help with that as well. The HB route will take him behind the blitzing corner and whoever comes in from the split. Close the split and run 24

Robert

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »
I had in my play call list to run 47 speed once per quarter. Should it only be once per half?

Run it enough to win.  Do not run it to just run the score.  If you're well ahead after three tries, stop.  Otherwise, win.  If you find yourself running it often in order to win, you'll need to develop plays off it because D's will stop this play if run too much.

I think i have the 4 back fixed. It was more of a timing issue that he was slowing down and he was too far off the line as well. He knew he couldn't go forward from motion until the snap, but because he was so deep, he couldn't always get out to his block. We made sure he always aligns with the QB now for his route to the 6 for his base block. i adjusted his steps as well and made sure he walks them off every time. Timing was looking good for 47 Speed and 25 power. We ran all our plays without the ball, so all the backs could do their job without worrying who was getting the ball. Fakes and blocks looking much better. We will continue to fine tune as we go, but any help is appreciated.

:)
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline lobwedge

• Copper
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 10:14:26 AM »
Run it enough to win. 

Seems like a good ratio to me coach  :). Thanks.

Offline lobwedge

• Copper
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 10:19:12 AM »
We've run our Double Wing with our eyes closed.  "Eyes Wide Shut" drill.  Both with and without the ball.

--Dave

We are doing this drill with the wedge and its helping. I've never thought of it for any other plays. May see where we can run "Eyes Wide Shut" with other plays. Thanks Coach.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »
We are doing this drill with the wedge and its helping. I've never thought of it for any other plays. May see where we can run "Eyes Wide Shut" with other plays.

This was something we'd do mid-season to really sharpen the knife.  There was no way I could get a decent look with EWS early on in the season.  But after 4 games, EWS (initially without the ball; then with the ball), could really sharpen up our plays.   And if we ever stalled the offense in a game, I'd call a time-out and say, "Good grief guys, you can run these plays with your eyes closed!"  lol

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline lobwedge

• Copper
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »
QB wedge

Do they follow motion? Who follows WB when in motion. A corner who follows WB across formation can be taken out of the play by Jet 24 where the WB will be past the QB at snap

Run left

or 24 Power

Left 32 trap should really help with that as well. The HB route will take him behind the blitzing corner and whoever comes in from the split. Close the split and run 24

They followed motion early on, but stopped after we scored the first TD. Halfway through the 3rd qtr, they began sending the linebacker inside the DE through the split every time. When the wing went into motion, the corner moved up and also blitzed. They also began to blitz on the outside of the DE on our left as well. Their line was in a 202 tech. Our best play became pass right to the TE. I'll work on some of your suggestions so we will be better prepared for that type of adjustment next time. Thanks.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
There is also a 48 Yo Yo

As you can imagine its the WB motion across then gaining depth on a Yo Yo route and goes back to the right almost like a reverse.

A SE reverse will slow that blitzing motion down as well. Put in your SE that can run and 47 56 reverse. I'll try to post video
Robert