Author Topic: 46 Guts Worked Great Week 1  (Read 197 times)

Offline 32wedge

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
46 Guts Worked Great Week 1
« on: September 03, 2019, 07:16:32 AM »
This is the defense I wish I had been running the last 3 years. 

I have 18 players (nine 8th graders, nine 7th graders) and 1 part time assistant.

We played a team with 40+ players and 6 coaches running a nice shotgun wing-t offense.  We came out star struck, lined up wrong and let them score on the first series.  After that, we settled down and, except for one broken play TD, stuffed them the rest of the way and scored on a safety. 

Offline Majortom

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
Re: 46 Guts Worked Great Week 1
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »
coach, any video?  I installed it this year but under close scutiny by HC. he thinks we will get burned to the outside sooner or later. He wants to take my stud OLB's and swap them with my Corners to help with contain. I tried my best to explain that those OLB's and MLB are your main contain/spill players behind the DE's attack. He says he knows the Bear but anyway thats not really what it is...He already stated 1st time we get burned outside he wants me to be ready to do some switching. Now I have to come up with a call (likely just line up in a 5-2 zone with the kids swapped out) in case he freaks.
Thanks
14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds

Offline 32wedge

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 01:48:18 PM »
coach, any video?  I installed it this year but under close scutiny by HC. he thinks we will get burned to the outside sooner or later. He wants to take my stud OLB's and swap them with my Corners to help with contain. I tried my best to explain that those OLB's and MLB are your main contain/spill players behind the DE's attack. He says he knows the Bear but anyway thats not really what it is...He already stated 1st time we get burned outside he wants me to be ready to do some switching. Now I have to come up with a call (likely just line up in a 5-2 zone with the kids swapped out) in case he freaks.
Thanks

I have video but was out of town visiting the in-laws this weekend and haven't done much with it.  I will post when I get a chance. 

We made a lot of mistakes in alignment.  I don't think we ever shift to unbalanced formations but after the DEs starting playing, containment was good.

Offline Majortom

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:35:30 PM »
sounds good, we have 2 very quick but a little light DE's but they are 2 of our best open field tacklers. Sometimes they get a little too aggressive. The OLB's are doing great. 1 is more athletic but not as smart. He missed his assignment several times until I reminded him to count. He is never sure when he is to cover the TE. We just lost our starting corner to a broken hand that will need surgery. Luckily our 1st game should be easy so I can coach them up some more.
Tom
14th year youth coach 7-12 yr olds