Author Topic: What Makes Your Offense, Your Offense?  (Read 209 times)

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
What Makes Your Offense, Your Offense?
« on: September 05, 2019, 02:01:22 PM »
I had written about this before, but could not find it in the search engine.  Frustrating because then I had to go through a pile of my PowerPoints and notes to find this, so I'm reposting it here, so that it will be easier for me to find in the future.

What makes your offense, your offense?

This is what makes our Double Wing, our Double Wing:

It is the formation.  We have two Wingbacks.
It is our blocking rules.  They are specific to this offense.
It has a core play, with a series of plays off of that core play.
It has a specific philosophy.  What are we trying to accomplish with this offense?

What is NOT the Double Wing?

1. No pulling.  Whether you pull one, two or three, you have to pull to run this offense.
2. Base blocking.  The Double Wing is a rules-based offense.
3. Wide splits.  The Double Wing is not the Flex-Bone or even the Wing-T.  0-6 inch splits are the norms needed for double-teams, pulling and to prevent blitzing.
4. A deep Fullback.  With a deep Fullback, Wedge, Counter and Trap become a real challenge.  As does his Kick-Out.  He's called a "sniffer" for a reason.
5. A QB that hands off and watches the play.  The Double Wing is an 11-man offense and whether the QB leads up and blocks through the hole, kicks-out or does a hockey-stick maneuver, the ONE thing he isn't doing is standing there watching the play after a hand-off.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: What Makes Your Offense, Your Offense?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
One day I am going to run the true Double Wing. And that day will be glorious!

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 03:04:56 PM »
One day I am going to run the true Double Wing. And that day will be glorious!

I will probably have to go back to youth ball in order to run the DW, which I don't have a problem with.  What I have a problem with is finding a youth org that's close enough to me. 

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 03:33:08 PM »
Dave

Did you dodge the Hurricane Bullet this time??

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Seabass

• Silver
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
Good idea Dave!

This is only my 2nd year in this offense. This is how I see it up to now.

Our formations are not unique at all...in today's game at least 80% of the teams we play have 2-3 formations that look exactly like ours. We are usually in some version of spread....although it is very easy for us to get to double tight. We could be in 2x2 with 4 displaced receiver's, 3x1 with 4 displaced and empty with 5 receivers OR 2x2 and 3x1 with one of those displaced receiver's moving to a TE and even motion to empty from there.

The key components that make our offense go are the following 4 things:

1-We use motion at 3 different positions. This allows us to move defenders.

2-Our ability to run the same action over and over but change who we are reading which changes who gets the ball, as well as where the ball get's inserted.

3-Recycle blocking rules out of different formations

4-It's series based so we can change the series to take advantage of our strengths or the defenses weaknesses.

I like the flexibility of our offense. Last year we were really good up front but we didn't have a ton of team speed. We based out of inside zone and and some power/trap concepts in order to set up plays to the perimeter.

This year is the opposite. We have plenty of speed but we are weak up front. So, we will base out of Jet and throw the ball to the perimeter a lot. Our change up will be to run the ball between the T's as the defense widens.

The only thing I don't like about this offense is that it is VERY QB-centric. That guy has to make quite a few decisions or the offense becomes limited. I see teams at our level run stuff that looks similar to ours but it's fake. It becomes fairly obvious when the options are pre-determined by the sidelines vs. the plays being read and executed by the QB.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »
I run the DCWingT

What makes it mine is I don't use the cadence set by Clark
Our motion is faster than what I've seen in other DC WingTs videos.
And the Speed of pace (no Huddle) we used to huddle but I found we were spending too much time on teaching them just how to huddle. So we tagged plays gave them a base and if the line needed to wedge the QB yelled red. Green was guard pull along with GOL and Speed was blue.

Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 05:04:38 PM »
Did you dodge the Hurricane Bullet this time?

It's hurricaning on us, right now.  School was cancelled for today and tomorrow.  I'll head to the beach this weekend to see if our shell of a house is still a shell of a house.  Believe me, Palm Springs is by far the more attractive option.

--Dave
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:32:21 PM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
It's hurricaning on us, right now.  School was cancelled for today and tomorrow.  I'll head to the beach this weekend to see if our shell of a house is still a shell of a house.  Believe me, Palm Springs is by far the more attractive option.

--Dave
And My wife wants to move to North Carolina   :D
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 06:06:28 PM »
We run the Delaware Wing T pretty true to it’s roots. But what makes it a little bit of our own is the terminology. Definitely have a different way of calling our plays. Also we have a “5 back.” Essentially another TE that we’ve gotten involved in run game. So when teams prepare for us, they have to prepare for a 5 back attack.

Lastly i’d say the way we’re able to so closely mirror a true DWT at the youth level, is very abnormal. I’ve only seen 2 or 3 teams that run it as close to the way it’s meant to be run, as we do. 

That’s why I always specify that we’re a DELAWARE Wing T team. I think there’s a ton of teams that identify themselves as Wing T, but very few are Delaware Wing T. And there’s a big difference. 
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 09:01:41 PM »
And My wife wants to move to North Carolina

Western part of the state?  No hurricanes.  Central and eastern?  Better bring an umbrella.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline Coach Correa

• Silver
  • Loved by few but Respected by All
    • generalgridiron.com
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 09:42:24 PM »
Like Jake i started with Delaware Wing T in 2002 but evolved into Wes Elrods Hybrid WT scheme wise and created a language and system that explains everything literally in each call and has much carry over in blocking schemes. . We have aloyt of pro style flavor in our arrrangements and use alot of pro style concepts within our system . We use tighter splits but nowere near ft ft for a variety of reasons. Our pas protectections are simpler than most so all this combined makes my HYBRID WING  very much mine....
Head Coach Tito Correa
Meriden Raiders 9-U
Offense-Hybrid Wing
Defense - Odd- Stack

Offline terrypjohnson

• Copper
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 12:36:07 AM »
I run several different Single Wing sets. I use the Beast, Rockne's Box, and the Coach Eien's Fat Formation. I've added a few wrinkles from Coach Wilkins, Coach Parker, Coach Mahoney, Coach Cox, and DoubleWingCoach.

Here's my offense in a nutshell:

1) Tight line splits (shoe-to-shoe).
2) While the blocking scheme varies, I almost never do any one-on-one "on" blocking. Aside from my son, I've never had much size on my team, so I use angles to give my smaller kids an advantage.
3) I always want to overwhelm the defense at the point of attack.
4) I run several different plays that look like the same play, which forces the defense to play honest. I'll be happy when I move up to the 10u age group where I can snap it directly to the HB or FB (8u rules say that only the QB can take the snap).

I'm sure as time goes on, I'll add to this list. I certainly learned a lot from the Double Wing forum this last offseason!

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 09:58:35 AM »
My offense

2 running back, 1 TE, 2 wrs are on the field every play.

We use 1-2 foot "smart" splits

Always have an open side, always a closed side (fit formation the field ala dcwt)

No huddle, fast paced, check with me, 5 plays.
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
Whats an Offense??  LOL
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)