Author Topic: Going to see this "D"  (Read 330 times)

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Going to see this "D"
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 05:53:49 PM »
Actually with 8Us it's very productive with no tricks at all and no pulling.  You can't count on its gaining yards on any particular down, but average is usually high just because of how most players this age [don't] defend to the sidelines.

And on the naked bootleg there's only one defender out there (likely a CB on air), especially to the near sideline once you have the sweep threat going to the wide side, and your QB has a good chance to beat him 1-on-1.  Or you can establish your QB as the major threat to the wide side -- no handoff so safest -- and then you have all those bodies blocking to the narrow side.
Yeah got it, I mainly coached 7-9s

As I said, I ran this offense and with teams that have good coaches, and our league did, it was hard to get outside with DEs aligned outside our TEs. Our league protected the sidelines very well so off tackle plays were key to success and wedges.

When we ran into inept coaches I could run anywhere I wanted because, well, they were inept. But for the other half the league we had to work to get outside.

One of the reasons I went to the WingT is I was morphing into that alignment anyway so I just went full DC WingT where the jet sweep was inside the corner anyway because in my league the outside is challenging.
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 12:21:53 AM »
Sheesh, next you are going to tell me you were in the Vietnam war. Talk about being handcuffed.

Handcuffed and shackled.  All the organization's teams lost last weekend but mine.  I'm currently in first place in the league.  So organization's HC is suddenly showing up at my practice this week and immediately wanted to change how I block sweep to match how the other teams that lost did it.  He's a really, truly great guy and I love to coach for him but I'm thinking he wants to micromanage his one team that has a chance to get to the Super Bowl.  I don't blame him for that.  If I were him I might do the same.  Yet I still refused to block it as he wanted/suggested.  To his credit he allowed it.  Came over today and watched me run it the way I think it should be run and saw it work.  He stopped making me try and change it. 

I don't change things on 7-8 year olds.  Want to confuse an 8 year old?  Change what you're telling him.  That's it.  That's all you have to do.  Or better yet, let two different coaches run over and tell him what to do after you did. Tonight I had to train a new DE when next game's DE will be gone.   After I told him how to play it, and he never once made a mistake, three other coaches - THREE - went over and told him how to play it.  By the end of practice he was begging me not to play the position.   Guess why?
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2019, 07:30:33 AM »
Tonight I had to train a new DE when next game's DE will be gone.   After I told him how to play it, and he never once made a mistake, three other coaches - THREE - went over and told him how to play it.  By the end of practice he was begging me not to play the position.   Guess why?
???
Ouch,... I've had to talk with parents about changing what we taught but rarely coaches

That sucks
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »
I don't change things on 7-8 year olds.  Want to confuse an 8 year old?  Change what you're telling him.  That's it.  That's all you have to do.
7-8 year olds?  Heck, that works on adults!
Or better yet, let two different coaches run over and tell him what to do after you did.
One of my biggest worries in coaching is being the coach who does that, or having another coach do that.  Just last night with 11Us I was worried we were doing that with subtle differences (or non-differences, depending how they'd think about it) in what we were telling them to do in a drill on jamming receivers.

Still not close to my absolute biggest worry in youth football coaching: running over a kid in the parking lot.