Author Topic: New team, new problem  (Read 216 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
New team, new problem
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:37:37 PM »
I was reading the other thread below and one of the comments made me want to post. It was talking about being in a moral dilemma because of the kid playing hockey and not attending all the football practices. Should he be held to the same standard as others?

I am the HC for a really small 8-man team. We only have 10 players. Injuries have already cut into our numbers, so every body counts. This kid does not give full effort and when I call him out, he throws his little temper tantrum and pouts. I decided to make the whole team do gassers because of his attitude today. He refused to do them. He then laid around on the ground as I was working with something else with the team. He later made some smart alec comment and I told him that I think he should leave, which he did. This is the second time this kid has displayed this "attitude". The first time, he decided to quit, but apologized and came back. It still cost him sitting out the first game. The kid is obviously a cancer to the rest of the team and while my preference would be to just can him, I don't want to jeopardize the season for the rest of the kids. We've already had to forfeit the first 3 games due to injuries, but we were at least able to take the first two games into the second half before injuries forced us to concede. He is a good athlete, but we also played extremely well in our first game without him. We were actually ahead in the game before I had to call the game in the 4th quarter.

Yes, I would prefer to not have this kid on the team at all. But I also know, that if he's not on the team, then we are two players away from forfeiting other games and possibly the rest of the season. So yes, for me it is a moral dilemma. The first time the kid "quit", other players wanted me to give him another chance and after speaking with him and the AD, it was agreed to allow him back.

I am taking the 24-hour rule before I talk with him tomorrow.

I'd love to hear your take on this situation.

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: New team, new problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 08:46:24 PM »

No, you wouldn't.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »
I was reading the other thread below and one of the comments made me want to post. It was talking about being in a moral dilemma because of the kid playing hockey and not attending all the football practices. Should he be held to the same standard as others?

I am the HC for a really small 8-man team. We only have 10 players. Injuries have already cut into our numbers, so every body counts. This kid does not give full effort and when I call him out, he throws his little temper tantrum and pouts. I decided to make the whole team do gassers because of his attitude today. He refused to do them. He then laid around on the ground as I was working with something else with the team. He later made some smart alec comment and I told him that I think he should leave, which he did. This is the second time this kid has displayed this "attitude". The first time, he decided to quit, but apologized and came back. It still cost him sitting out the first game. The kid is obviously a cancer to the rest of the team and while my preference would be to just can him, I don't want to jeopardize the season for the rest of the kids. We've already had to forfeit the first 3 games due to injuries, but we were at least able to take the first two games into the second half before injuries forced us to concede. He is a good athlete, but we also played extremely well in our first game without him. We were actually ahead in the game before I had to call the game in the 4th quarter.

Yes, I would prefer to not have this kid on the team at all. But I also know, that if he's not on the team, then we are two players away from forfeiting other games and possibly the rest of the season. So yes, for me it is a moral dilemma. The first time the kid "quit", other players wanted me to give him another chance and after speaking with him and the AD, it was agreed to allow him back.

I am taking the 24-hour rule before I talk with him tomorrow.

Time to go serious ironman. If you finish the game....great.....if not....thats OK to. You at least did it the right way.

This kid should not be allowed back a 2nd time.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
Agreed.  He's done. 

I went against my better judgement due to numbers shortage.  Kid signed up then quit after 2 practices.  Came back and asked to be reinstated showed up to 1 practice and hasn't been heard from again. 

At least my situation he wasn't acting like a Spoiled 2 year old.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline terrypjohnson

• Copper
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 02:39:10 AM »
You have to let him go. While I can understand being flexible, you cannot tolerate lack of effort. If you do, the other kids are going to give less effort as well. No one wins in that situation.

I can sympathize with you... I finished my Jamboree with 11 players.

Offline SingleWingGoombah

• Silver
  • Because, football.
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
Since you said discussing with your AD... and your profile says HS, I am guessing this kid is at least 14.  Acting the way he does is concerning.  I think there is something going on with him.  More often than not, there is an underlying reason other than the kid is just a brat. Might be a good idea to have a discussion with him, talk to the parents, stuff like that.  It would be easy to let him be someone elses problem, but I would guess that is what he is used to.  Sometimes throwing a curveball can have an impact.  Obviously this would be something done outside of practice so that it does not take away from your team.  I would not let him back to practice until you can get some answers. 

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 04:43:41 PM »
I suspended him for the remainder of the season.

In doing so, this may have put the final nail in the coffin as two of his friends decided to walk out with him. This would put us at about 7 kids. We told the kids to think about it through the night and let us know if they want to continue or not tomorrow.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 06:15:44 PM »
I suspended him for the remainder of the season.

In doing so, this may have put the final nail in the coffin as two of his friends decided to walk out with him. This would put us at about 7 kids. We told the kids to think about it through the night and let us know if they want to continue or not tomorrow.

His "friends" did gasses FOR him while he refused....then walk away with him?

I'd kill the entire chitshow. Let Pier pressure take over in the hallways.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 07:04:37 PM »
His "friends" did gasses FOR him while he refused....then walk away with him?

I'd kill the entire chitshow. Let Pier pressure take over in the hallways.
Kids...what do you expect?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 08:57:34 PM »
You've done the right thing.  As Mike says let Peer pressure do the work.   

Its on the Admin's now! 
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)