Author Topic: GOL blocking  (Read 167 times)

Offline SnapIt

• Copper
  • "Football is easy if you're crazy as hell."
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
GOL blocking
« on: September 16, 2019, 11:20:07 PM »
I’m trying to teach my O line to pick up blitzes and follow the GOL blocking rules.  Versus a 4 tech and a stacked LB when running 24, the RT should have the lineman “on” him, WB tracking to LB, and RG to backside backer.   However, The manual says RG must step playside (playbook defines as to called hole if I’m understanding correctly) first and pick up a blitzing backer in B before tracking to backside backer.    So on 24 is the RT first step left and RG first step right?   Does 23 follow these same rules?   Mainly worried about stacked LBs and teaching my players to pick them up.   If the LB tips that he’s blitzing I think we can pick it up correctly.   If LB blitzes from depth I’m hoping the step to the called playhole allows them to pickup the LB.   Am I understanding this correctly? Any coaching tips are appreciated.
"Success is the peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable." - Coach John Wooden

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Re: GOL blocking
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:44:28 AM »
When "On" blocking step with playside foot.  So on "33" LG steps off on left foot if Man Over.  LT steps with right foot if Man Over.

If that's clear, let me muddy it up.  If either LG's or LT's man slant away, they just keep going to next man up.  Never chase a "wrong defender".  There might be a stacked LB behind him making him "right". 

Learning to block "stacks" takes two weeks, not one.  This is the primary success of JJ's front.  So you have to think ahead on your schedule.  Although you can't prepare for JJ's stacks in one week, he can't prepare for you in two.   You'll crush stacks.

If I missed your question, try again.
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline SnapIt

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 10:31:19 PM »
So if the LG or LT doesn’t have a Man Over them are they just stepping with their inside foot and tracking to backside LB (assuming no one on inside gap of course)?
"Success is the peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best of which you are capable." - Coach John Wooden

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:43:36 PM »
So if the LG or LT doesn’t have a Man Over them are they just stepping with their inside foot and tracking to backside LB (assuming no one on inside gap of course)?

B1                  B2
        V    V        V    V
  TE  LT  LG  C  RG  RT  TE

24 Play to right:

RG has man on.  Step with right (hole side) foot.
RT has man on.  Step with left (hole side) foot.

Left side of the line has "man over" towards center (playside) called a "Reach block".  So LT has man in front of LG.  LG is releasing downfield to double team center's man (B1).  But this can change.  If the player over LG slants inside into LG's path, LG has him (Never run by an unblocked defender).  If LT's man slants inside into LT's path, he'll take him.  Both LT and LG are moving right to pick up inside slants first and BS linebacker second. If LT sees LG pick up his man (LG's man slanted in) that's the only time LT would go for B1 and then only if the man over him did not slant in (But then he couldn't get by him anyway to get B1 even if he wanted.).  Most of this can be found around page 36 in the manual.

On the left side of the line the blitz can't get through before the "24" handoff no matter what they do. 

Right side is trouble if man over RT slants out and B2 slants in.  It is natural for RT to follow man over.   It's how JJ's defense works and it does work.  You have to teach him to follow his left foot and go where it takes him which will be B2.  Since FB is reading RT's man he will cut inside on that outside slant.  So even if there was no B2 your RT will still be correct to follow his left foot.  So really, nothing changes except the desire for RT to chase his man over to the outside.  That's what you're really coaching (Trust your left foot and not your eyes.).  If RT were to close his eyes, and step with left foot and DRIVE, he'd be right every time.

Offline SnapIt

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 07:14:47 PM »
Thanks so much coach.   I've reviewed page 36 as much as my brain can process, but I've never been accused of being the smartest one in the room, so thanks for bearing with me.   So, in our stacked LB scenario, when running "24",  the RT does not chase the DT slanting to the outside.

I've viewed the diagram on Pages 38 and 39 which isn't exactly our scenario, but similar - "The WB’s rule is to “track block” to the inside linebacker on any runs to the “6” hole, scraping hips of any defender in front of our RT (But skip blocking a DT on runs to the “2” or “4” hole.) or cracking anyone outside the RT’s helmet. "

I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that in the "stack" situation we've been discussing that the WB must pick up the DE slanting outside.  Correct my logic - The FB is of course reading the DT for the direction of his cut.   DT slants outside, so the FB normally would cut inside to the "4", but that gap is now clogged by our RT blocking the LB filling that gap, so the FB is going to have a hard time going there.    The WB must block the DT, because if he's untouched he'll blow up our FB......  Hopefully, I'm correct so far. 

If this is correct it's a slight rule breaker for our WB's rule to "skip blocking a DT on runs to the "2" or "4" hole - which I'm ok with.

At this point, I'm asking how I best teach my WB to break his rule to "skip blocking the DT on 24 and head directly to the LB".    I can't find the page, but it sticks in my mind that this rule is broken if the LB he should track block is blitzing.   If the LB walks up into "B" pre-snap, the WB's track block won't get to the LB so he changes to track the DT slanting out??   That makes sense and I think that I can teach that as a rule breaker.     

Here is the scenario I fear and really the crux of my entire question - If the LB does not "tip" his blitz into "B", my WB is in a quandry.   His first rule is to bypass the DT and track block the LB.    By the time he is passing the DT he sees the LB move forward and disappear into the B gap.    The RT either incorrectly chases the DT slanting outside and can't block blitzing LB, or steps with inside foot takes the LB, leaving the DT slanting outside whom can no longer be blocked by the WB.       

I'm thinking that the solution may be in correctly teaching the "scrape hips" concept as well as your advice in the manual to rep blocking stacks?   Based on our opponent we'll need to rep this scenario with my RT and WB until they get proficient at reading the LB blitz so they can make the proper decision??

Hopefully, I'm somewhat close????

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 01:22:53 PM »
Yes.  You have to rep blocking stacks.  WB does bend the rule.  You need a blocker on both hats.   That's why you have to rep it.  But, if you're facing stacked LB's you'll face them every down, not just once in awhile.  Does some team play stacks on your schedule?

Offline SnapIt

• Copper
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 03:46:37 PM »
Thanks so much.   Just me typing it out has helped solidify the concepts in my mind.   3-5-3 is popular in my area so we do see it, but we’ll be ready.