Author Topic: Rival Game for #1 seed in playoffs  (Read 171 times)

Offline Vikecoach26

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
Rival Game for #1 seed in playoffs
« on: October 01, 2019, 09:16:32 AM »
We are a 6th grade team and it's our rivalry week. The team we play runs a double wing offense. We are preparing for counters, FB traps, tosses and they do like to throw to a wing off the line. Their QB, 1 WB, and FB are their best players. We have run a mix of 50 front and 4-4 all year and it has worked well as we have only allowed 1 td through 4 games. I am always up for open suggestions to defend their offense. We are 0-3 against them going into our 3rd year in the league. Last year we lost to them in the championship game as well.

Here is one of their looks:

0          000X00
          0     0    0

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Rival Game for #1 seed in playoffs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:43:08 AM »
Don't know if there is a question in there

But.....

When we faced good misdirection teams that did a lot of counter and reverses I quarter drilled my defense.

Got it from clark

Use no ball but in the offenses huddle give the eventual ball carrier a quarter and make all players act like they got the ball while running the play and the defender who tackles the ball carrier the one with the quarter gives the defender if tackled the quarter.
Change it up and they see the importance of doing their job.
I have also gave all 3 or 4 ball carriers quarters at the same time. Its cheap and effective.

We may not have one every game but we rarely got "faked out"
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 10:09:24 AM »
Generally speaking, defensive schemes don't defeat offenses; players with good fundamentals do.  That being said, I commonly see defenses that have no idea how to defend an offense.  Case in point: I was looking at a friend's game video.  His opposing defense had 9 players inside the box, as if there were some sort of rule that you could line up only one player outside of the Tight End.  And he was playing an outside shade.  When my friend's offense ran outside their easily reachable contain man, you can guess what happened.  Every time.  And the opposing coaches never changed from that.  Even though each time a sweep was run against them, it went for big yards/touchdown. 

You need to cover the inside, the outside and the pass.  Don't put 3 Linebackers so close together that just one of them could do the same job of the other 2.  That's a waste of manpower and is like playing with 9 against 11.  Don't put 2 outside contain players so close together that one could easily do the other's job.

Our defensive success over the years came partially from our players being taught unique fundamental concepts: no breakdown/buzz/gather before tackling, not taking on blockers, taking the same pursuit lanes regardless of the direction of the play, 11 on 1 pursuit, etc.  In addition, they weren't afraid to play (i.e., good at practice, but completely intimidated on game day).

If their Double Wing is run really well, they will make it an absolute chore for your defense.  If their Double Wing is like most of the other offenses I see at the youth level, then you should have a field day with their high, deep tosses, their non-existent pulling, and their QB who just stands there and watches the play after he pitches it.

--Dave
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 10:13:35 AM by CoachDP »
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 10:11:28 AM »
Use no ball but in the offenses huddle give the eventual ball carrier a quarter and make all players act like they got the ball while running the play and the defender who tackles the ball carrier the one with the quarter gives the defender if tackled the quarter.

Yes, it's called "Quarters Coverage."

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Vikecoach26

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys! These guys seem to have our number for some reason. Last year we gave up one first down, had 2 safeties, 2 picks and lost 6-4??? We definitely want this one bad.

Offline JustPlay

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Winners do
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 07:54:55 PM »
DP always seems to cover the questions pretty complete. My one add - I stress we all have our job. Do your job. Trust your teammate to their jobs. No hero ball.
nothing replaces effort. nothing replaces the mind. One with out the other is a waste of time.