Author Topic: Robust T  (Read 175 times)

Offline rangibson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Other
Robust T
« on: October 06, 2019, 07:21:58 PM »
Coaches... Has anybody run the 'Robust Offense' at the 12u or 10u level? Or does anyone have feed back on this offense at this age group. I would appreciate all opinions.... I am looking at it for next year. Thanks. R

Offline rangibson

• Copper
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Title: Other
Re: Robust T
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »
The silence is deafening.... Let me try again. Has anybody used the Robust Offense at any age ??

Offline COACH JC

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 12:27:16 AM »
Are you talking about the “Dead T” “Power T”? Never heard of Robust T.
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 08:14:35 AM »

Google says its split t
Football's True Smash Mouth Offense! Robust Football https://www.amazon.com/dp/1420846116/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0aYNDbXWZQB55

If thats the case, theres a few old thread you can look at. Yes, option based T is viable as young as 7. Just a matter of how you teach it or your level of understanding
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 01:55:26 PM »
Woody Hayes called it that.  So find some old OSU film, and see if you can determine whether that was split T, power T, or what.  I don't recall seeing pulling linemen (but memory may be faulty), so I'm guessing split T.  I seem to recall a long time where the QB didn't reverse out, but then later a lot of belly option, so he may have switched flavors of T.

Offline bignose

• Bronze
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »
The Robust T, according to Woody Hayes, "Hot Line to Victory," was a FB based series, revolving around the FB Belly (Lead) off tackle. It was part of his goal line package.
The plays were:

26 FB lead with the RHB kicking out like on a power. The QB reversed out deep on this and meshed with the FB 3 yards in the backfield.
38 Keep / Pitch:  Belly option off of 26 play fake
26 Keep Pass: off of Belly fake

Supplemental plays were:
30  LH  Handback Counter
22  FB Iso
21 FB Dive (Quick opener)
28 Buck Sweep
RH  Counter Reverse @9

Plus some play action passes and bootlegs.

It was not the Split T. The backfield action is quite different.

The Split T QB slides down the LOS much like a modern Flexbone QB. The Robust T has the QB reversing out, deep.

In the one platoon era of college football, early 1950's he came to Ohio State  from Denison, mainly running the Split T. (Football at Ohio State). They tried blending the two series but did not think that they were compatible. Something to do with footwork and line splits. 
The "Robust T" was his goal line package circa 1968 /1969, while his open field offense was I oriented.

The "Dead T", (Bay City T, Michigan T), and Power T are two other T formation variations.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 09:39:42 PM by bignose »
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles!

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »
Wow, so Woody Hayes did switch flavors of T along the lines I remembered.  My memory seems to be scary good for this stuff, considering I didn't understand football until at least 1966.  I mean really, really didn't understand it -- had to look up "Football, American" in our Funk & Wagnalls Standard Reference Encyclopedia before I could "get" this game I saw being played at the school I was entering.  Soccer was easy to understand on sight, didn't need to read the entry on "Football, Association", and Grampa Nick said he played it at a high level; but this business about "first down" was a head scratcher until I read the explanation.  And yet I can recall OSU's varsity on TV playing first one style, then another, so I must've started mentally recording it instantly then, or maybe even before I understood it!