Author Topic: My Season so far  (Read 99 times)

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
My Season so far
« on: October 09, 2019, 03:50:15 AM »
I'm 67 years old now and hung up my whistle a few years back.  This fall though the wife was scheduled for medical tests from September to November and so
I knew I wasn't getting out town.  I was stuck here with no plans.  I figured I'd just end up drinking beer and getting fat.  So I volunteered to coach.  I did not brag about who I was to get placed.  I just offered to coach and simply asked that I be more than just a bag holder.  I was offered to HC a team of 7-8's.   ::)  That's not really my cup of tea with kids running around screaming and hollering, pushing and shoving, and with the attention span of a 15 minute cartoon. 

But I took it.

And - Yes - they were running around screaming and hollering, pushing and shoving, and with the attention span of a 15 minute cartoon.  They did not disappoint.  I drank three times as beer as before after practice.  I even opened an account with a local brewery.  They probably think I own a tavern.

I coach for a feeder team to a four tier team organization that all run the same offense and defense which includes me.  So I'm coaching wishbone and Jack's 6-3 in "Red" but which the organization doesn't seem to know is Jack's 6-3.  So if I have questions on defense I don't ask them.  I ask Jack.  They think their wishbone playbook is a "high school" playbook.  Sorry.  No.  It was drawn up by a youth coach on the back of MacDonald's napkin.  I only use one play in the entire playbook.  I pretend to use the others. 

I have never been a wishbone coach.  Youth wishbones have a hard time getting outside without option.  Usually their best play is to run three backs through the same hole off tackle.  Stop that and they lose.  In seventeen years of coaching I only saw one wishbone team make the playoffs.  However, now that I coach it myself I'm learning how it works.

I am currently undefeated and unscored on.  I am 3 points shy of having the highest scoring offense in the league (Next Saturday I play the highest scoring team.).

At one point I wanted to quit.  The insane pandemonium was one thing but being handed a playbook that didn't work was another,  I got annihilated first scrimmage and threw out the playbook and invented my own but was careful to give them similar names to what the organization uses and similar backfield action.  This is because the organization's President comes around to observe my practice for 20 minutes a night and I'm supposed to be running his stuff.  He is, however, really, truly a great guy.  He is an absolute pleasure to coach for.  Of course he has absolutely no idea I changed the plays.  If he sees something different he would jump in to fix it back to where it wouldn't work and then, when he succeeded, couldn't figure out why it didn't work. 

Now he just leaves me alone on the plays but assists on execution of which he's very good at.  He no longer asks what play I ran.  I score. I win.  He's happy.  This is what makes him unusual.  I have the best team (win/loss) in his organization.  I kept waiting for him to say, "Thanks for the great job.  Now that they're winning I'll take over now."  I wouldn't blame him.  I might do it myself if I were him.  But he doesn't do it.  He just helps me.

Meanwhile my kittens that love to chase string have now become cats that catch mice.  We tackle.  I use DP's "meet me in the alley" drill as well as "Whose ball is it?" and even his "circle of death".  They all work.  I also use my own fumble drill as well as my DC46/Killer Bee contain which, combined with Jack's 6-3 has only given up one first down. 

And they no longer scream and yell or push and shove.  They know they're in first place.  They have to defend it.  Amazing how that changes their attitude.   They listen now to every word I say.   They're waiting to see the next magic trick I'll pull out of my hat.  Because wishbone lets you run all kinds of razzle dazzle.  According to the manual we're supposed to be in foot to foot splits.  We're now at one yard and that's for 7-8's.  For wishbone I look like an Air Raid offense.  Mahonz has mentioned increasing splits here several times and I conspired with Michael to do so with my Run & Shoot offense (Now averaging 400 yards per game in passing alone.).  Now I'm doing it myself.

Coaching has always been work for me.  It's like a second job only more important than my first job.  You're coaching the perfect snap, the perfect handoff, the perfect run, the perfect block, the perfect tackle, and the perfect read.  Basically, the perfect play.  But in the past, most times I'm coaching older boys from the sideline, the worst seat in the house (At least those in the bleachers have raised seats.). But they let me on the field with 7-8's.  I'm in the huddle.  I'm there.  I see it all.  Best seat in the house.

This has been a very, very enjoyable season (Since I tossed out the playbook and coached football.).  7-8's are really very nice kids.  They don't want to sell drugs, hate, or discriminate.  They just want to have fun.

So do I.     
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline dollar

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: My Season so far
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 07:43:55 AM »
Great Read!

Thank you for sharing.

Offline Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 09:30:21 AM »
What a great read Clark

Thanks for everything
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:51:18 AM »
This is a fun read, almost like a testimonial for DC wishbone ;)
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline CoachDP

• Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »
I'm 67 years old now

--God bless you Clark.  I'm 58 and if I'm not coaching at 67, I hope to at least feel like that I could. 

So I'm coaching wishbone and Jack's 6-3 in "Red" but which the organization doesn't seem to know is Jack's 6-3.

--lol

So if I have questions on defense I don't ask them.  I ask Jack.

--Best coaching decision ever.

I only use one play in the entire playbook.  I pretend to use the others. 

--loller

I am currently undefeated and unscored on.

--No surprise there.

At one point I wanted to quit.  The insane pandemonium was one thing but being handed a playbook that didn't work was another,

--I can understand that.  Football seems to fueled through on-field chaos and noise.  I don't care for either.

I got annihilated first scrimmage and threw out the playbook and invented my own but was careful to give them similar names to what the organization uses and similar backfield action.  This is because the organization's President comes around to observe my practice for 20 minutes a night and I'm supposed to be running his stuff.

--You have so much more patience than I do.

He is, however, really, truly a great guy.  He is an absolute pleasure to coach for.  Of course he has absolutely no idea I changed the plays.  If he sees something different he would jump in to fix it back to where it wouldn't work and then, when he succeeded, couldn't figure out why it didn't work. 

--I'd rather work for a complete jerk who knew what he was doing, than a clueless nice guy.  However, you know what you're doing and you've gotten it to work for you.  Regardless, I don't want "help" from either.  Again, you have patience.

And they no longer scream and yell or push and shove.  They know they're in first place.  They have to defend it.  Amazing how that changes their attitude.   They listen now to every word I say.

--I've said many times that there's a reason that kids will listen to one coach and focus on every word he says while completely ignoring another coach with talking and grab-assing.

7-8's are really very nice kids.  They don't want to sell drugs, hate, or discriminate.  They just want to have fun.

--True enough.  Even though I'm without patience, it's certainly a requirement for that age.  I enjoyed my 5 years with that group. Good stuff, Clark.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope