Author Topic: It's not about me...  (Read 69 times)

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
It's not about me...
« on: October 09, 2019, 11:12:49 AM »
Or you...or any individual, its about all of us...its about THE TEAM...

So as I posted elsewhere...my previously unbeaten 8 year old rookie tackle team...who was averaging 38 points per game and only allow 11 points per game....got their teeth kicked in on Saturday...22-16...so, not exactly a butt whooping...but by the standards they had set, it kinda was...I was not there, I went to watch my son play in Russelville, and I couldn't coach my boys and go and watch my boy...so my blood relation won...

But...I was told by the other coaches, and some of the parents, they were flat, they looked slow, they looked tired...in the first half, they didn't block, they didn't run the right direction, they didn't do their jobs...about mid way through the 3rd quarter they started playing football again...after they were down by 2 scores. and...I did not have film for the first half, I got film for the second half...and the last drive the boys went on was a thing to watch...physical play, hard running and we came up about a half a yard short on 4th down and never got the ball back....

My coaches who have been with me forever took it for what it was...a loss...lets regroup and get them refocused...the two dad coaches...who do a good job...well they thought the sky was falling...we need to change everything...we had trouble with the snap, we need to go under center...the H backs were going the wrong way, we need to move them to Guard...our weakest olineman...we need to split him out wide as a wide receiver so he isn't in the way :P Luckily, there were no calls for summary executions of any of the players...

I talked them both off the ledge, and after looking at the little bit of film we had and discussing things with all of the coaches, we came up with a plan to "right the ship"...but first...I wanted to address the team...so last night we had our first practice after the loss...instead of our normal warm up, I was going to talk to them...not 100% sure what I wanted to say to them, okay, not accurate...not sure how I wanted to deliver the message...but I know the points I wanted to hit....

So I get to the field...set it up for the drills...and my early arriver shows up with mom. And he realizes he doesn't have his practice jersey...mom says, I laid it out for you, not my problem, go ask coach to borrow his...but his is red...can you call dad and ask him to bring it...no this was your responsibility, and it is not the first time it happened (which is how he happens to know my spare jersey is red), maybe you will learn from this...

Boy is beside himself, all manner of pissed off...I suggest to him he probably should stop speaking to his mother like that...which was a suggestion he took...but made the mistake of starting to speak to me the same way...which he learned was a bad business decision...we went into OSI mode (opportunity for self improvement)...lots of movements and running and commands given faster than he could possibly comply, which of course he failed to comply with and the drill got louder and as I finally let him execute a movement (mountain climbers)...I roared at him "THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU...QUIT MAKING THIS ABOUT YOU...THIS IS ABOUT THE TEAM"...I ended the OSI...gave him a couple of minutes to compose himself...and called him over...

Are you going to have a practice jersey to wear tonight? Yes Does it Matter what color it is? No You will be able to practice because I have the spare jersey right? Yes Quit being selfish, make it about the team and lets have a good practice.

And as soon as the "It's not about you" fell out of my mouth, I knew how I wanted to deliver the message...everyone shows up, gather them up, get them on a knee and begin...

Do you remember last week in practice when I told you if you continued to practice like this, you would play like this and you would get your teeth kicked in? Yes...what happened? We got our teeth kicked in. Did you like getting your teeth kicked in? No...

Football is hard...and sometimes it hurts, it hurts in practice and sometimes it hurts in the game. But we does these things so we can have what we want. And we want to win. So we have to do the things that we have to do so we can do the things we want to do. And that means sacrifice sometimes. Sometime you have to do something you don't really like doing, but you are doing it for the TEAM. Its not about you 29, or you 21 or you 82...its not about any of us as individuals...its about all of us as a TEAM...these are your brothers...sacrifice for them, sacrifice for the TEAM...make each other better...make the TEAM better. We are going to have a good week of practice...we are going to demand things of you, and we expect you to do them...for the TEAM.

Then we went to work...and it was a good practice...and every boy did what we asked (demanded) of them...they were not perfect on every rep...but they were fighting and the effort was there.  If they play like they practiced last night...they are going to kick the bad guys teeth in :)

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.