Author Topic: Motion Cadence Issues  (Read 366 times)

Offline COACH JC

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Motion Cadence Issues
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2019, 01:06:42 AM »
Working it in practice today.  Sharp loud defensive sounds during the motion caused our linemen to jump almost every time.  If the refs don't enforce, we probably won't be able to run motion plays.

Course not. There’s a reason the rule exists. It’s damn near impossible not to jump when the D is doing a hard count and your players have been taught to go on sound.

If the refs don’t enforce it, i’d fight fire w/ fire. Make a freaking mockery of the game until the refs fix it. You could do the same thing they are, even w/o motion. Have your MLB scream WATCH 22! in a hard count tone. TE RIGHT! COBRA BLITZ!

You could say whatever you want as long as it has something to do w/ your defense. Bet the refs would put an end to it on both sides.
It's all about having fun.  But losing aint fun!

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »
Personally I don’t thonk screaming motion directly at the QB/C (as the video shows) is a standard call. Frankly i’ve never understood the point of calling out the thing everyone can see.
I'd first envisioned the players on one side of the formation calling "motion" to indicate a back leaving their side, going toward the other, and possibly players on the other side of the formation echoing the call to acknowledge it.  But going by your description, I don't see how that could be anything other than disconcerting signals.

The first time it happened I'd stop play and give the defense the choice of burning a time out or taking a delay of game penalty (based on general principles of "delay of game"), and if it was repeated call the 15-yarder.  If they do it yet again, the violator must be disqualified.  If they tried saving it for a goal line situation, I'd flag it, let play continue, and if it appeared to mess up the timing of the snap, the penalty would be a touchdown.

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2019, 05:39:59 PM »
Turned out to be a non-issue in championship game.   Warned referees prior to the game and other team yelled motion but we practiced against it enough that didn't matter.   We lost anyway 22-0, they had great defensive game plan that I didn't expect and had no answers for.  Five championship games under belt now 2-3 record with 2 game losing streak.   We'll keep chopping wood.