Author Topic: Double wing problems  (Read 168 times)

Online Bill03

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Other
Double wing problems
« on: October 30, 2019, 10:46:46 PM »
We finished our regular season on this past Saturday, and for the 9 games Pryor we went without any major issues. When I saw the  referee crew that pulled up I knew it was going to be a long day..  it started with a kinda new one for me , motion. He says once we are in a three point stance we can not get up quickly to go in motion. Said that is tring to pull off the defense. There went rocket and lazor motion. Then he said we can't snap down quickly into our three point stance. That would do the the same thing. Then there was the cut block. I don't have to tell you guys about that one !! I ran some gate pull but really didn't have to. After being cut a few times they weren't in any hurry to come in. We did the all block dave taught me in the beginning of the season, worked great.

I wrote a email to the head of the refs, he said he has access to the league film and check to see what if any the issue with motion and the three point stance. The cut block is what it is. Last week I faced a team that put 11 in the box not im not  exaggerating . You can bet we cut them .. didn't get one call against us. We should have thought to be honest, my TE high lowed with the center a couple of times.

As any of you guys had issue with the three point stance and motion before? I guess I could go back into the two point stance with me RBs. But I really not want to think about that at this point.

Bill

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: Double wing problems
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 11:57:59 PM »
He says once we are in a three point stance we can not get up quickly to go in motion. Said that is trying to pull off the defense.

--We've been called for moving "suddenly."  When we go from 2-point to 3-point, we do it as fast as possible.  But when the officials see that we are doing it consistently (fast) the same way on each play, it no longer falls under the "trying to pull the defense offsides/imminent snap" rule.  Once I ask them "how slowly am I supposed to run my offense before it's legal?" they leave me alone.

There went rocket and lazor motion.

--We leave our WBs in a 2-point stance.  Jet motion and O-Motion is a full-out horizontal sprint.  I've never been called for motioning too fast.

Then he said we can't snap down quickly into our three point stance. That would do the the same thing.

--As I said above, I've been called for this, but very rarely.  I have the discussion with the refs before the game so that they aren't "surprised" by this.  That seems to stop them.  Since a "snap down" to the 3-point stance is so rare, it confuses the poor things, who are only too glad to resort to the flag.

Then there was the cut block. I don't have to tell you guys about that one !!

--We got rid of the cut block simply so that I wouldn't have to prove to officials how stupid they are.  We just slide down our backside protection.

We should have thought to be honest, my TE high lowed with the center a couple of times.

--If you change your Center's blocking rules from MOMA to MOPA, you won't have that issue.

As any of you guys had issue with the three point stance and motion before?

--No.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline jcarbon2

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »
MOPA??? 
Expert in "BRAIN DEAD DEFENSE" and the "CAVEMAN SPREAD"

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 12:31:56 AM »
MOPA???

Man On/Pivot Away.

We used MOPA when we were teaching the BSTE to shoeshine.  By having the Center pivot, instead of blocking away, we avoided getting called for chop blocks because our Center was sometimes making contact with a defender while the BSTE was shoeshining him.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline gumby_in_co

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 01:50:37 PM »
As any of you guys had issue with the three point stance and motion before? I guess I could go back into the two point stance with me RBs.

Yep. We got used to being flagged for "false start" on the first few plays of the game. When we pointed out that the kid being flagged is a wing back, sometimes they backed off. Other times, they were too proud to admin they were wrong. We heard:
"He can't motion once he puts his hand on the ground" - which is BS
"He can't 'pop up'" - which could be interpreted as simulating a snap, but in this case, it was BS because this idiot had already flagged us 3 times for false start.
"He can't go backward. He has to motion parallel to the LOS" - more BS, but I really liked how he tried to save face

My favorite was an opposing coach screaming, "MOVEMENT IN THE BACKFIELD!!!" ever play for the entire game. Didn't get flagged, but it was both annoying and amusing at the same time.
Mission Statement: To create a Football Family that our players and parents can't imagine not being a part of.