Author Topic: (Co) Conference Champs  (Read 148 times)

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
(Co) Conference Champs
« on: November 08, 2019, 12:18:30 AM »
So despite our lackluster start to the season, we ended up winning our last five games, going 5-1 in conference and tying for first place.  We also lead the conference in scoring at 29.5 ppg.  We won tonight, 35-22.  As to the slow season start, we lost to a 9-1 team (25-21) in a bizarro game that was split up over two weeks, played both away and at home as lightning had cancelled the game in the 2nd Quarter.  We lost to a 6-2 team (22-19) in another bizarro game that was ended midway through the 3rd Quarter when the game was stopped for an injury and never resumed.  We lost to a 6-3 team (41-28) when their receiver was credited for a TD when he'd stepped out of bounds while running the route and we had a TD called back.  And we lost to a 5-1 team (34-27) on an INT thrown on the last play of the game when we had the ball at their 7-yard line.  Conversely, we picked up a win via forfeit, when a 1-7 team didn't want to play us.  After all this, we reeled off wins in the last 5 games of the season to tie for 1st place.  I had a good time with this group and thoroughly enjoyed coaching all 3 of our JV RBs.  Tomorrow night, we'll see if we can qualify for the play-offs with a Varsity win. 

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
Re: (Co) Conference Champs
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 03:32:54 AM »
2019 JV Final Rushing/Receiving Stats (RBs Only)

RB Total:
158 carries
1142 yards
7.2 yards per carry
4 fumbles
90 yards (longest run)
14 TDs

RB 1-Freshman
48 carries
532 yards
11.0 yards per carry
1 fumble
90 yards (longest run)
5 TDs

RB 2-Sophomore
78 carries
468 yards
6.0 yards per carry
1 fumble
33 yds (longest run)
7 TDs
1 reception
14 yards
14.0 avg.
14 yards (longest)
0 TDs

RB 3-Sophomore
32 carries
142 yards
4.4 yards per carry
2 fumbles
16 yards (longest run)
2 TDs

--Dave
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:36:35 AM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 11:21:44 AM »
Welp, no Varsity win.  We were 7-3 going into this away game with our rival who was 2-8.  The night before some idiots from our school had gone to their school and painted our colors all over their field and other vandalism.   Lots of juvenile social media back & forth so that the bear had been properly poked. ::)

Despite our opponent's 2-8 record, they run the triple option Flexbone to perfection.  And they hide the football as well as can be done.  They've always been a problem for my teams, over the years.  And they took the opening drive for an 8-minute, 15-play ride until they scored, going up 6-0.  We came right back down the field and scored on our own 13-play drive, going up 7-6.  But the 1st Quarter evaporated quickly, and our score wasn't until the first play of the 2nd Quarter.  They had another time consuming 13-play drive, but didn't score.  And we took possession and in 8 plays scored another TD, going up 14-6.  On the next series, we stopped them in 4 plays, but only got our 3rd possession(!) with minutes remaining in the 1st Half.  At their 40, we threw a Hail Mary into the end zone, which was caught, but was then knocked away by an opposing defender.  While it was only 14-6 at half time, we weren't worried as we'd had no problem moving the ball and were receiving the opening kick-off to start the 2nd Half.  A 21-6 lead would probably be too much for their ground-based attack to overcome.  And it would have been....

But in the 2nd Half, they kicked onside, and it ricocheted off the helmet of one of our frontline players, bounced high in the air, and our opponent recovered.  They drove the ball down the field and scored.  A 2-point conversion later, and we were tied at 14.  They kicked on side again, but this time the ball went deeper and a 2nd Level player picked up the ball and broke their contain!  He returned it 45 yards, getting tackled at their 14-yard line.  On the next play, we ran for 12 yards, getting tackled at their 2-yard line. We ran the ball again, my RB got hit at the 5, but moved the pile like a bull, finally collapsing in the end zone for a TD and jubilation ensues!  Except that the ref said his knee was down before he scored.  So the ball was placed at their 1-yard line.  On the next play, their defense jumped off sides, moving the ball half the distance to the goal line.  And on the next play, our QB fumbled the ball on a QB give/keep.....

Our opponent took over possession at their 2 yard line.  They proceeded to run the ball 98 yards in 14 plays to go ahead, 20-14.  We were frustrated, but not worried.  We had no problem moving the football all night, and their missed XP left the door open for us.  We returned their next kick-off to their 47.  On 1st Down, we ripped off an 11-yard run and a 1st Down.  On the next play, we completed a 14-yard pass down to their 22.  A run of 11 yards gave us 1st Down at their 11.  Two plays later, we threw a TD pass, tying the game at 20.  And then we did something we rarely do.  A bad snap on the XP and the opportunity to take the lead had vanished.

Our opponent owned the football for the next 18 offensive plays.  When we finally were able to force them to punt, there was only 3 minutes remaining.  We drove the ball to their 45, when our QB threw his first interception of the game.  Our opponent drove down to our 18-yard line and with seconds remaining and no time outs for either team, they ran their field goal team onto the field.  Their try was blocked, and we went into overtime. 

We won the toss and decided to give our opponent the ball.  It took them 4 downs, but they scored a TD.  And worse, they ran for the 2-point conversion and scored, making it 28-20.  We took over and on 1st Down threw a pass that we caught at their 5, and our receiver ran over 2 tacklers punching it into the end for a touchdown, making it 28-26.  We called a timeout to set up the conversion.  One thing about a Spread team trying to pass for a 2-point conversion; all the routes are compressed.  We'd have done better to either run the ball or take a penalty to two to move the ball back to gain some space.  Regardless, our QB was pressured.  He had no open receivers.  He threw the ball as he was getting hit and the ball was intercepted.  Game over.  28-26 them.  End of season, and of our playoff hopes.

--Dave

« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:23:27 AM by CoachDP »

The Mission Statement:

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:09:50 AM »
Ouch, tough one coach...
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 12:16:14 PM »
Ouch, tough one coach...

Yep, and this entire season I've had no time to assist with the youth team.  Well, looks like I've got all the time in the world now...

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline Dimson

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:39:03 PM »
Terrible way to end the season but it is good to hear you RBs did well.

Online dcooz

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:35:17 AM »
7-4 missed the playoffs?? Rough sledding in NC. They have teams here in Illinois 5-4 4-5 making the playoffs. Their is 8 different playoff brackets here. That's definitely a heart breaker to end the year.

Online Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:45:29 AM »
Yep, and this entire season I've had no time to assist with the youth team.  Well, looks like I've got all the time in the world now...

--Dave
Are you not coming back?
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:02:17 AM »
Are you not coming back?

No idea, Robert.  When I took this opportunity I wanted to peek behind the curtain and see how they did things at a school where football was a major emphasis.  And I've done that.  I took plenty of notes.  So we'll see...  I have no idea what other opportunities are out there.  Or even if I want to coach.  I have a standing offer at another high school, but it's the blind leading the blind over there so I'm not interested.  I don't mind their blindness, but at least allow me to help you cross the street. lol. Coach W and Coach C are at that school and would like me to come over there (they were 2nd in the conference in scoring running a hybrid DW), but the Varsity header wants the JV program to be "unified" with the Varsity next year (meaning that he wants the JV to be just as bad as their winless Varsity), so no way would I touch that without certain agreements in place.   Even the terrible programs have no interest in going in a different direction.  They think that all their problems stem from (lack of) talent, when in actuality, all their problems stem from (lack of) coaching.  So I'm pretty much disenchanted with it.  I know the time to hang it up is getting closer.  And it may have already happened.

--Dave

The Mission Statement: