Author Topic: Offensively how do i attack a Gap 8, Gap Air Mirror defense?  (Read 144 times)

Offline mmartinez

• Copper
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Offensively how do i attack a Gap 8, Gap Air Mirror defense?
« on: November 09, 2019, 03:06:56 AM »
We are playing in the semifinal game sunday vs a 8 Gap/ Gap Air Mirror defense.  What is the best way of attacking this defense?

Offline C-Rob

• Benefactors
  • Silver
  • A.K.A. tso1696
    • Online Youth Football Coaching Clinics
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
Re: Offensively how do i attack a Gap 8, Gap Air Mirror defense?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 06:48:31 AM »
Not knowing your offensive scheme and assuming you use a tight end, I would consider putting the TE in a Nasty Split to widen the Defensive End and run Off Tackle.  If you are running a winged offense you can mostly likely widen the DE as well.  Again not knowing your scheme, I would consider down blocking by your o-line when running Off Tackle to wash everyone down.  If the DE doesn't widen with the Wing, sweep to that side again having your o-line down block.  Also a Tight End pop pass is a good play as well.  With this said, these are general thoughts and may not apply to what you are trying to do on offense. 
On-line Youth Football Coaching Clinics
http://www.coaches-clinic.com/

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »
We are playing in the semifinal game sunday vs a 8 Gap/ Gap Air Mirror defense.  What is the best way of attacking this defense?

I don't know your offensive scheme, or what tools you have to work with, offensively.  I don't don't know the age group so it's impossible to know if the passing game can be used as a viable threat.  Most importantly, without video I don't know how they run their GAM and thus where it can be best exploited.  It's like asking, "How do you stop the Double Wing?" when my Double Wing is different from another's.    Is it an 8-3 with 3 LBs inside?  Is it an 8-2-1?  Where do they position their 2nd Level defenders?  Or 3rd Level?  Do they have a Single High Safety, or a Rover?  If it's a talented GAM with a good DC, it can be a challenge.  If it's not a talented group, or isn't well-coached you can probably exploit it everywhere. More information and some video would be helpful.

--Dave

"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Online Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 11:57:26 AM »
I don't don't know the age group
At the left it said, "Coaching: 9 & Under".  If we don't take the info in those boxes seriously, posters won't keep them up to date.

Offline mmartinez

• Copper
  • Coaching: 9 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2019, 03:10:10 PM »
Our team is mostly 12 year olds. We run a base Double wing that have a variety of formation based on the Double wing foundation. We do split out our wing and our TEs. Run a Trips formation. We have a big FB and one of our WB is a man in a boys body. Our left TE is very tall, athletic and has great hands.

Our opponent runs a modified 8 Gap
3 down lineman
2 standing DEs on each side of the down lineman all 4 seal the edge... Tall
1 small blitzing LB that flows based on the formation your offense presents. He other is keying on a player or formation
2 CBs that are very close inside.
1 Safety/ Deep MLB

They can be beat on the pass but the come so hard it has to be a slant of quick flare.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INSIGHT

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2019, 03:22:51 PM »
At the left it said, "Coaching: 9 & Under".  If we don't take the info in those boxes seriously, posters won't keep them up to date.

"Mostly 12 year olds."

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Online Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »
Our team is mostly 12 year olds.
Then you need to update your profile.  I'd put "other" for your offense.

The age they say they're coaching in that profile is one of the first things I look at as I read a post.  It saves a lot of time with questions like DP's.  But if people don't take seriously keeping those things up to date (Like what, once a year?), they're useless.  Of course they're already useless for someone who's coaching more than one age group at the same time; maybe we should have separate login identities for such cases?

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 03:37:03 PM »
Our opponent runs a modified 8 Gap
3 down lineman

--0 technique?  3 tech?  4?  5?  Where's the bubble?

2 standing DEs on each side of the down lineman all 4 seal the edge... Tall

--I'm thinking it's a DE and OLB on each side.

2 CBs that are very close inside.

--Inside of who? 

1 Safety/ Deep MLB

They can be beat on the pass but the come so hard it has to be a slant of quick flare.

--They come so hard?  LBs?  DLs?  If it's DLs, then Trap should be your friend.  What does the DE & OLB do?  Does one press and the other contain?  If they're tight, then shouldn't Sweep be available?  If they both come hard off the edge, then Counter should kill it.  Do they change when you go to Trips?  If you can throw, and they have only ONE Safety, you should be able to pass all day, provided your team is consistent in the passing game.  If you don't have time because of their rush, can you go to Gun?  YOU can still threaten them with Power from either the Pistol-Wingback, or the QB.  Of course a hard count, as well as first sound snap should take care of some of that rush.  Wedge should always be there for you.  But if they have 3 down linemen and their DE & OLB stand outside our your TEs, there has to be a bubble there for either running Power or ISO.  And a Nasty Split should completely eliminate their effectiveness on the edge because however they align to it, they are wrong. 

If you need more detail or clarification, feel free to call me.  I'll PM you my number.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »
Create more gaps then they can cover, you do this by adding more men one side by alignment,pulling, backfield action or any combo.

The hardest play we have to defend in 10-1 is double wing like power. 5 gaps by alignment, +qb, +2 pullers, + fb.  We have fixes for this however if we dont know its comming they get a big gain the first time they do it.

So power, g scheme, trap, counter all effective vs gap8/10-1
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 07:00:55 PM »
So power, g scheme, trap, counter all effective vs gap8/10-1

Ooof.  Forgot about G.

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Online Wing-n-It

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:14:48 AM »
Then you need to update your profile.  I'd put "other" for your offense.

Throughout the years coaches have put in different age groups and offenses to throw off others that may be in their division or lurking to fin out who and what is being asked. Its one of the cool things about this site anonymity (Thanks spell check, I cant even Pronounce it)  ;)
Robert

2 Things my offense will always have is a Wing and a Wedge