Author Topic: Type of offense ? (Youth 10-12 year old)  (Read 381 times)

Offline rangibson

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Other
Re: Type of offense ? (Youth 10-12 year old)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 07:56:19 PM »
Offense.. Get the book on Amazon ... Diamond offense.

Defense.. JJs 33 stack.. Available on line.

Both are for simplicity, yet complete.

Offline 32wedge

• Benefactors
  • Bronze
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 07:30:37 AM »
You have very little practice time.  If you have experience with a certain offense and/or have coached these kids before, do as Dave said and run what you and they already know.

If not, you should install a Single Wing base series with Power, Counter, ISO/Blast (middle), Sweep and Sweep Pass.  This requires a short install time (can be installed in one practice) and doesn't require specialized players such a QB that needs developing.   You can block all 5 plays with the same Solid Blocking Scheme.  This base offense will be very formidable considering the short amount of practice time in your league.  There is a world of formations, motions and backfield actions that can be added on if you have time later on.

I would be happy to help you get started if you want.

Offline garnerr1

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: GAM
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 11:03:50 PM »
Thanks to all for your feedback .. much appreciated ..

Offense that I plan to run will be Double Wing (Toss series - power, sweep, counter, pass ) (Wedge series - QB, FB) (Gun - or BSW, spinner QB trap, spinner QB/TB power) , that's it. Keeping it simple and make sure we have lots of reps.

Defense will be a 6-3 attack.

Coach Garner

Online CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 11:27:27 PM »
Offense that I plan to run will be Double Wing

Brilliant!

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline bdjackson

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »
Speaking from experience, you Gun package should be a change up once your kids can run under center with their eyes closed. Under center as won plenty of games and even championships by itself. Focus on you lineman, pulling, schemes, defense recognition and then worry about shotgun once all of that is perfected. Otherwise you will find yourself spinning in circles. For defense, with the restrictions on your LB's I would recommend Jacks 63. I would not recommend JJ's as you will end up running it in a 40 or 60 front anyways and it takes away the attack philosophy of the defense.

-Brian
Being Capable, first begins with being Confident.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »
Offense that I plan to run will be Double Wing (Toss series - power, sweep, counter, pass ) (Wedge series - QB, FB) (Gun - or BSW, spinner QB trap, spinner QB/TB power) , that's it. Keeping it simple and make sure we have lots of reps.
In 4 practice sessions before the season?  How?  That really looks like much too much, not "simple" at all.

I get that everybody's offense and defense will be practice-time-limited the same way, but it still seems like you've got too many moving parts there when you could've picked something simpler.  I remember Mahonz once posting about a similar situation to spend the majority of your practice on defense, installing that first, and then a stooopid-simple offense like beast.

Offline terrypjohnson

• Benefactors
  • Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 11:11:54 PM »
In 4 practice sessions before the season?  How?  That really looks like much too much, not "simple" at all.

I get that everybody's offense and defense will be practice-time-limited the same way, but it still seems like you've got too many moving parts there when you could've picked something simpler.  I remember Mahonz once posting about a similar situation to spend the majority of your practice on defense, installing that first, and then a stooopid-simple offense like beast.

I agree with what Coach Goodman is saying. I hit a similar snag my first year at 8U. Thanks to a hurricane, we literally had six practices to get ready. We started with the Pro-Set and got our butts kicked in a scrimmage at the end of of practice No. 4. At practice No. 5, I put in the Single Wing with Power, Sweep, XX, and Sweep Pass. While I added a few wrinkles as the season went on, those four plays made it really simple. The only thing I would do different is to add Wedge

Note: I'm still learning about the Double Wing (Coach Val's "The Toss" will arrive Friday), so I don't know how easy or difficult the install process will be. However, I wanted to share my experience out here because I think it could help someone.

Coach Terry

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 08:17:31 AM »
Ive been in this scenario before and had an OC running dw my 2nd season coaching. We just had toss and trap/on. We totalled 5 plays that season. 
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 07:13:28 PM »
Garnerr1 has mostly experienced players, 10-12 YO, but not experienced with him or together, and they get 4 practices of 2 hours each before the season, and 1 practice each week during the season.  He's going to need a little time just to decide what positions to put his players in; he may have to take a chance and fill his depth chart based solely on the previous positions the players have played, so as to start practicing rather than evaluating from minute 1 of day 1.  Most of the players will have experience with fundamentals, but somehow it never seems to work out that the players' basic skills once they're in your hands are what you assume them to be.  Just getting their responsibilities down on defense is going to take a large measure of that initial practice time.

Given those realities, I'd eliminate any kind of offensive plays or systems with too many necessary details -- the ones that are said to be deadly once you get them down right but are total crap when you're only halfway there.  Things like wedge, toss and turn, trap.  You need plays that are only halfway crap when run like halfway crap, not total crap when run like halfway crap.  So there are only a few systems I'd consider:

Balanced line beast with either small or large splits -- balanced line to comply with league rules, snapper looking thru the legs.  A few runs and passes to be able to exploit any part of the defense, including a little misdirection but very few ball exchanges.  Maybe it looks like short punt formation if you want to balance the backfield too.

Some flavor of I formation with splits as wide as can be covered comfortably.  Could be anything from ace backfield to triple or power I.  No cross blocking or traps but can down block and reach block.

If you and your team's suited to it, a simplified TCU spread.  It has 2 players in the backfield between the tackles as required by league rules, but 4 wide receivers.