Author Topic: Zone Blocking for 7th graders(12 and 13 years old)  (Read 8214 times)

Offline CoachMattColorado

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Single Wing
Zone Blocking for 7th graders(12 and 13 years old)
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »
We run a pro set as our base formation, with the off tackle power play being our bread and butter play. We have tried GOD blocking, but am interested in ZONE blocking. We will have fairly athletic lineman, not overly fast but higher than average IQ. Would ZONE blocking be something we could teach and be successful with at this age group?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
Re: Zone Blocking for 7th graders(12 and 13 years old)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
Matt:

The answer depends entirely on how you intend to zone it.  IZ is actually a bit harder to learn.  OZ can be done via the stretch (vertical angles) or via the pin and pull methodology. Technically you can use IZ for the off tackle but you have to have a TE to accomplish this.  I will say without question that kids still need to learn to block one on one regardless.

You also need to teach backs differently when using Zone concepts.  Patience is KEY to a good back. Under zone rules they are looking for the hole to open regardless of where it happens.  As such plays become Right and Left as opposed to holes. 

Can it be taught? You betcha it can. 

jmho

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

CoachKell

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
You can run IZ with or without a TE, it just depends on how the defense aligns, we run it to the open side plenty

IZ is no harder than OZ to teach , it's a little harder to execute though because the back needs to make his reads a little faster

If you take IZ, and make that your bread and butter you'll be fine with it

As for that age group ...absolutely, 6 is the youngest I've seen a team run zone.

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:17:33 AM »
Follow up questions - We have a couple of quick guards, can you pull using Outside Zone?

Also we would like to use Wedge or Beast as a change of pace and on the goal line, so the kids would need to learn Zone, Wedge/Beast, and Passing blocking. To much ?

coltscoach

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:34:13 AM »
Coach you can do anything you want... If they are uncovered and the next lineman down can get there to cover the open gap .. pull em... they will have to boogie though.

I know with our huge line splits the lineman would never get there though at times we do fold block ..

CoachKell

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »
Follow up questions - We have a couple of quick guards, can you pull using Outside Zone?

Also we would like to use Wedge or Beast as a change of pace and on the goal line, so the kids would need to learn Zone, Wedge/Beast, and Passing blocking. To much ?

Some teams use Pin and pull for their OZ play, Nebraska, Indianapolis Colts.. It's preference really I just find it easier to stay within the Zone guidelines if I teach IZ/OZ in similar fashion. 

It may be too much , but that depends on your kids, I now stay Zone and power.. that's it

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 12:57:04 PM »
Good info, thanks. How about Pass Blocking if we run Zone. Slide Step since it is a similar motion to the Outside Zone? Man Blocking?

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
Matt

The pro formations lend themselves very well to zone blocking. Zone blocking lends itself very well to slide protections.

I will post up my discoveries a little later on that should give you a good head start. I have a string of meetings coming up. I hate it when work gets in the way of the really important stuff.  :D

What league do you coach in?. 

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
Matt

Here are my zone discoveries. I can really coach em up on OZ maybe not so much on IZ. So this is OZ speak. Plus I wouldnt play big slow kids on the line....medium size and fast is OK...big and fast is the best. These kids gotta move well as a unit. Its also best to find 6 ( 5 starters and 1 rotator ) and play them all in the same positions all season. They have to get a good feel for one another. During combo drilling I even have them drill next to the man they will be playing next too. This is really important.

Pro I-

Never had any luck sending a lead block into the mix. They get in the way. So what we did is use the FB to take the place of a TE position and incorporated a SE position. So now it’s a Spread I. This does a number of things. The SE will pull one more defender out of the box but only if you can pass keeping the D out of cover 0. It creates a nice set of rules for your FB because he is now multiple…meaning he can block the edge front side or the edge backside. These actions lend themselves well to one of my favorite I formation plays…the FB sucker traps.

One back-

Now you can play a slot and a TE. The effectiveness does not really change running the football because you are still creating at least equal numbers in the box. With the Ace back formations you will put a little more pressure on the coverage because you now have an immediate 4 receiver threat if you can effectively pass. With the I formation the immediate threat is 3 receivers.

So either way you go I cant see a huge difference. 

You have to decide a few things. Are you going to bucket step or slide step the uncovered linemen play side. With bucket stepping you can have tighter horizontal splits. With slide stepping you must be a little wider or they start stepping all over each other. I was taught that slide stepping is a more athletic move over bucket stepping but I cant really say there is a difference. Zone blocking requires athletic movement.

The reason I settled in on slide stepping is two fold. It marries up with slide protections and sift blocking.

You are teaching your linemen how to slide down to the play side and get into a combo situation when teaching OZ so to slide protect is basically sliding down to a monument without climbing. That monument in my world is determined by two things. The FB /TB and the TE. We will always slide away from the TE. I have yet to find a kid that can play OT and slide around a vacating TE. So if we always slide away from the TE the FB or TB will always block to the vacating TE position. If no TE then we have the FB or TB call the direction of the slide so that he always matches up with the most dangerous edge rusher. If both edge rushers are dangerous he will slide the line towards the most talented OT. If both OT’s are talented then it is simply his call.

I would never use slide protection with two TE’s unless only one TE will vacate or if you have two backs that divide, each taking one of the edges.

Sifting is a backside technique for any linemen that is covered. It lends itself well to slide stepping. Its an influence block more then anything. The goal is simple. The defender head up is not allowed to take your inside gap so slide into that gap allowing that defender a free release to the outside or away from the POA. This allows an aggressive defender into the backfield without hurting your play and allows your O-lineman to climb almost immediately to the second level.

Slide stepping also lends itself to cutting the backside odd tech since this block has to happen immediately and usually at a little bit of a distance with the wider splits. Slide stepping also dials in with our speed blocking rules which is much like sifting.

At this age I would use progressive horizontal splits.  A gap 12, B gap 18 and C gap 24 if you use a TE. That would be a good start.

Don’t forget about training up your backs as well. They are just as important as the blocking. 

Coach Mike
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 03:37:34 PM by mahonz »

CoachKell

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
Good info, thanks. How about Pass Blocking if we run Zone. Slide Step since it is a similar motion to the Outside Zone? Man Blocking?

We use a Fan/Man principle, but you can use full or half slide it's a very similar step

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
We use a Fan/Man principle, but you can use full or half slide it's a very similar step

Rich

Can you explain Fan /Man?

Thanks bro.

Coach Mike

Offline coachbradley

• Copper
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Option
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 11:00:07 PM »
Some teams use Pin and pull for their OZ play, Nebraska, Indianapolis Colts.. It's preference really I just find it easier to stay within the Zone guidelines if I teach IZ/OZ in similar fashion.

I'm going to play the role of village idiot for a moment.  I've heard the "Pin and Pull" term before with regard to a zone blocking concept, but how does it work exactly?  I have a picture in my head of what it seems like it should mean, but I'm struggling to marry that with the zone principles...

Let's use an example...

.......................W......M......S
........................E......N......E
........................T..G..C..G..T

To me, zone right (inside or outside) would have PST & PSG combo PSDE and Sam.  C & BSG work Nose to Mike and BST sifts to Will.  How would the Pin and Pull technique work in this scenario?  It must have something to do with uncovered lineman...when the puller gets out there, is he looking for first color and it becomes a drive block in space?

In my head I hear Pin and Pull and I think trap (down, down, kick).  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

CB

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 11:31:36 PM »
Outside Zone is more concerned with blocking alleys than combinations.  Either your first step is at a 45 degree angle up field to the play side seeking to over take the defense and create cutback lanes.  OR your pining with the covered linemen and pulling with the uncovered.  Another theory is pull and replace this allowing the covered linemen to release his man and go second level.   IZ is definitely all about the combination, using 2 to drive them back vertically into the second level.  IZ has the uncovered man slide stepping to assist with the covered person Play side. 

Using your example you could use IZ and/or the angle step OZ.  With Pull and Pin you PSG would merely hook around the OT looking to get the first ugly. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:35:44 PM by CoachShad »
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

CoachKell

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 08:32:29 AM »
Rich

Can you explain Fan /Man?

Thanks bro.

Coach Mike

The On side fan blocks, the off side blocks man, run off of a IZ look, our (Mountjoy ) numbering system stays the same, center blocks 0 guard 1 tacle 2 etc. 

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
What league do you coach in?.

Coach Mike - I coach in the Arapahoe Youth League, we are a Spartan team. Corp group of kids, 4 to 6 players, have been playing flag and tackle since they were 6 years old. This is their 3 year of tackle.