Author Topic: Zone Blocking for 7th graders(12 and 13 years old)  (Read 8212 times)

coach msl

Re: Zone Blocking for 7th graders(12 and 13 years old)
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »
I used to run no huddle exclusively, but now not so much, I find there are certain benefits to running from a huddle

Can you give a few pros cons?

Offline CoachMattColorado

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »
Matt

Couple of things…for wedge the line collapses down 50% not 100%, my mistake. And I wasn’t thinking when I posted that you are in AYL and get an extra week of pre season over me so you can certainly add in a scheme. Which one depends on what you want.

The reason I insist on good play action right away is that off the OZ action it is sooooo very good.

What you will experience with Zone blocking is your combos not working together. I strongly suggest participating in the Falkner thing. That will really push things along for you. What happens is both linemen will climb to the second level and your RB will lose yards….or the linemen will never climb to the second level leaving big plays on the field…or one will be indecisive and climb leaving his buddy one on one when he shouldn’t be.

Last year we ran UBSW, but to be honest not all of the coaches bought into the system, and the HC ended up switching the O half way thru the season. That is on me since I brought up the UBSW to the HC. This year I am planning on getting total buy in before we ever get to August. This info will help

The play calling/ numbering using an OZ system. Would it still be ODD for left and EVEN for right, with a HOLE number, ie 26 Power 2 Back 6 Hole, or something a that reflects where you want the back to run, like Stretch with an ODD or EVEN number?

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
Last year we ran UBSW, but to be honest not all of the coaches bought into the system, and the HC ended up switching the O half way thru the season. That is on me since I brought up the UBSW to the HC. This year I am planning on getting total buy in before we ever get to August. This info will help

The play calling/ numbering using an OZ system. Would it still be ODD for left and EVEN for right, with a HOLE number, ie 26 Power 2 Back 6 Hole, or something a that reflects where you want the back to run, like Stretch with an ODD or EVEN number?

Matt

Hole and back numbering can be whatever you are used to.

We simplify a little.

0 Hole is Wedge / Dive / Sneak...or the A gaps ( QB taps his butt check to tell FB which A gap....no tap...follow center )

1 hole is Trap left, 2 hole is Trap right...or counter...or the B gap.

3 hole is off tackle left, 4 hole is off tackle right...or the C gaps.

5 hole is perimiter left, 6 hole is perimiter right....or the D gaps.

Coach Mike

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline RookiePat

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 01:00:39 PM »
Matt

The pro formations lend themselves very well to zone blocking. Zone blocking lends itself very well to slide protections.

I will post up my discoveries a little later on that should give you a good head start. I have a string of meetings coming up. I hate it when work gets in the way of the really important stuff.  :D

What league do you coach in?. 

Coach Mike

Coach,

How does IZ/OZ lend itself to option plays out of the Pro formation?

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 03:14:59 PM »
Coach,

How does IZ/OZ lend itself to option plays out of the Pro formation?

Pat

Describe your option play a little.

Coach Mike

Offline RookiePat

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:56 PM »
we've run the triple option out of the pro set (split back veer), with the playside back on a dive and the backside back on a pitch route. The QB would read the DT but I'm imagining any type of zone blocking would allow a DE read??? 

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 08:44:55 PM »
we've run the triple option out of the pro set (split back veer), with the playside back on a dive and the backside back on a pitch route. The QB would read the DT but I'm imagining any type of zone blocking would allow a DE read???

Pat

Yes, reading the DE is straight up zone thinking...DT read...too much thinking for the OG / OT...and maybe TE.

Coach Mike

Offline RookiePat

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2011, 02:51:35 AM »
Thanks Mike I think I'm finally starting to wrap my mind around zone blocking  :)......So am I correct in thinking with our triple option that the vertical push with IZ would be a better fit than stretching it out with OZ? and can we get away with using IZ as our blocking scheme entirely with the run game?? I may be wrong but in reading many posts on the forum it seems a difficult task teaching both while still being consistent. My players are 11-13 years old this season and most have been playing 2-5 yrs.... 

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
Rookie Pat:

My thoughts are if you're running SBV then you would use the veer blocking system NOT OZ.  SBV has its own set of rules that work for the Option.  I highly suggest using them as they are much easier to use in this case. 

IZ and OZ work well for the I and Single back options as typically they ARE NOT triple option offenses.   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2011, 11:49:49 AM »
Thanks Mike I think I'm finally starting to wrap my mind around zone blocking  :)......So am I correct in thinking with our triple option that the vertical push with IZ would be a better fit than stretching it out with OZ? and can we get away with using IZ as our blocking scheme entirely with the run game?? I may be wrong but in reading many posts on the forum it seems a difficult task teaching both while still being consistent. My players are 11-13 years old this season and most have been playing 2-5 yrs....

Pat

I would pose this exact question as a new thread so that the option purists can interject....like Coach Shad has.

We ran the Flexbone a few years back and only read the DE's....or in the case of a 30 front...the OLB's. We ran nothing but OZ but had to adjust the blocking rules for the TE or OT that would have been tasked to block the DE's. That was pretty straight forward. Im sure the SBV schemes would best dial this in for you but there is a reason for the off season....discoveries !

Its how we all progress.

For example....All of this TKO talk outside of the DW and no one has really mentioned it for counter plays....OMG ! does TKO work well for counter plays.

Coach Mike

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 01:33:17 PM »
Pat

I would pose this exact question as a new thread so that the option purists can interject....like Coach Shad has.

We ran the Flexbone a few years back and only read the DE's....or in the case of a 30 front...the OLB's. We ran nothing but OZ but had to adjust the blocking rules for the TE or OT that would have been tasked to block the DE's. That was pretty straight forward. Im sure the SBV schemes would best dial this in for you but there is a reason for the off season....discoveries !

Its how we all progress.

For example....All of this TKO talk outside of the DW and no one has really mentioned it for counter plays....OMG ! does TKO work well for counter plays.

Coach Mike

I agree with Mike that discoveries are often made by asking what if and why.  I am by no means saying you cannot attempt to use zone concepts with the SBV.  What I am saying is that a ton of folks have proven that Veer blocking works for this offense.  Personally, I plan to use same with the I-Option rather than Zone it as Nebraska and Wisconsin do.  There is another blocking scheme that seems to be gathering quite a following for the Option and that uses Wedge Concepts.   Never say never.  The most important thing regarding blocking concepts is to teach only those that you are familiar with because you can fix whats wrong. 

Zone is a marvelous thing in many cases.  However, just like every other theory or concept, it does have mismatches it cannot overcome.  Nothing is infalible   

Offline RookiePat

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 04:55:28 PM »
This is all great stuff, which is why I keep coming back to this forum...a true gold mine of knowledge and resource.....

We run mostly a simple offense out of the pro set, with your basic dives, pitches, sweeps, etc. and have been very successful in past years and I thought zone blocking that system would be a good fit. We do have the option option play i described in our playbook and our boys run it pretty well, but its not a staple for us and since we don't run that play on a regular basis which is why I posed the question of zone blocking the option. I definitely see the advantages of using a veer blocking scheme but Im concerned about the time it would take to install that blocking for a play we don't run on a regular basis. Defintely food for thought so I would like to explore....Any help on where to research it would be appreciated....I will also take your advice Mike and post this question on a new thread....

Thanks!!

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »
Pat:

The only reason I posted as such is that the Option out of the I or Single back is rarely. but often mistaken for, a triple option simply an option.  If your going to run a triple option using the Split backfield I suggest using the proven material or Veer blocking.   If you're simply running an option play that's a whole different duck.  QUACK!

Indeed you can use Zone for the I and single back option.

:)   

Offline RookiePat

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2011, 07:46:45 PM »
Pat:

The only reason I posted as such is that the Option out of the I or Single back is rarely. but often mistaken for, a triple option simply an option.  If your going to run a triple option using the Split backfield I suggest using the proven material or Veer blocking.   If you're simply running an option play that's a whole different duck.  QUACK!

Indeed you can use Zone for the I and single back option.

:)   

Coach Shad,

Thanks for the clarification, I appreciate your help  :) .....I'd be in a world of hurt if I didn't have you guys to bounce my thoughts off of

Offline jem

• Silver
  • "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Option
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2011, 12:06:39 AM »
......So am I correct in thinking with our triple option that the vertical push with IZ would be a better fit than stretching it out with OZ? and can we get away with using IZ as our blocking scheme entirely with the run game??

Pat,

I have considered this as well and have posted this question to a bunch of Triple experts who have been running the triple for a 1000 years or so....but so far can't find anybody who uses true Inside Zone blocking for the triple.

However don't worry there are several answers depending on what you find easier.  (1) One is Zone Option blocking, not to be confused with true Zone blocking as you are describing.  Zone option blocking is basically an all scoops/reach scheme.  This is my 2nd favorite blocking system.  If you are already teaching the IZ and OZ, then, this should be a pretty easy add on for your linemen since you can use the same first step.   (2)  Wedge Concept. (my favorite) (This is not the Wedge.)  Wedge concept has attributes of the wedge, zone, and veer blocking. It starts out as a triple team. &  (3)  Veer blocking.

My opinion if you are already teaching IZ & OZ then (1) & (2) will be better because you can use your IZ OZ first step which means less changes for your linemen.  If you are not going to use IZ or OZ then you pick the one you like best.

Now as Scott said, if you are just teaching Option (double option) and not Triple, then that is a different animal.  Nebraska mixed Zone and double option better than anybody and Scott knows all about it.

Links in the option section below for All scoops zone and wedge concept.

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php/topic,1654.0.html

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php/topic,3051.0.html

j

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:10:30 AM by jem »
"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford