Author Topic: Zone Blocking for 7th graders(12 and 13 years old)  (Read 8208 times)

Offline COACH MIKE POPE

• Copper
  • "QUIT TALKIN'......LET'S PLAY BALL!"
    • www.hawgtuff.net
  • Coaching: College
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Multiple
Re: Zone Blocking for 7th graders(12 and 13 years old)
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:02 PM »
WE HAVE TONS OF ZONE BLOCKING MATERIAL ON THE HAWG TUFF! CAMPS AND CHALLENGE WEBSITE www.hawgtuff.net GO TO THE SITE AND YOU WILL SOEND HOURS ON THE SITE.  WE TEACH 5TH GRADERS AND UP TO ZONE BLOCK AT MY CAMPS.  KIDS PICK UP ON IT PRETTY FAST.  BUT I WILL WARN YOU ABOUT ONE THING!  HAVE A GAP SCHEME READY IN THE YOUTH LEAGUES , MIDDLE SCHOOL LEAGUES AND EVEN HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE BECAUSE OU WILL SEE DEFENSES THAT ARE REALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO ZONE BLOCK.
WE EVEN SEE SOME OF THOSE AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL WHERE I COACH AT NOW.
GO TO www.hawgtuff.net FOR SOME GREAT FOOTBALL INFORMATION!

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 10:17:56 PM »
Please give an example of one of those defenses.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2011, 12:49:50 AM »
WE HAVE TONS OF ZONE BLOCKING MATERIAL ON THE HAWG TUFF! CAMPS AND CHALLENGE WEBSITE www.hawgtuff.net GO TO THE SITE AND YOU WILL SOEND HOURS ON THE SITE.  WE TEACH 5TH GRADERS AND UP TO ZONE BLOCK AT MY CAMPS.  KIDS PICK UP ON IT PRETTY FAST.  BUT I WILL WARN YOU ABOUT ONE THING!  HAVE A GAP SCHEME READY IN THE YOUTH LEAGUES , MIDDLE SCHOOL LEAGUES AND EVEN HIGH SCHOOL LEAGUE BECAUSE OU WILL SEE DEFENSES THAT ARE REALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO ZONE BLOCK.
WE EVEN SEE SOME OF THOSE AT THE COLLEGE LEVEL WHERE I COACH AT NOW.

Mike:

Thank you for elaborating and speaking truth about Zone blocking.  While I certainly do appreciate the possibilities it presents, the fact is that, it (Zone) is not the answer to all things.  One cannot over emphasize the need to teach individual blocking techniques in conjunction with whatever Zone concepts you wish to implement.  The reality is that they will have to block one one one perhaps half of the opportunities presented during a game.

I am all for teaching it but it all starts with sound individual technique. 

Just my FERVENT opinion. 

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2011, 01:04:48 AM »
Please give an example of one of those defenses.

GAM, 10-1, 3-3 or 3-5 short stack, 60 fronts.

Micheal the fact is that you need to be able to block individually in order to make Zone work too. Folks are lazy so the PSG is supposed to combo (Zone) with the PST or Tackle with TE. If one of those kids is lazy in assuming the other will do the work then you have nothing and wasted 2 kids doing so.  On the other hand if both kids can block effectively as individuals then zoning them should produce extreme results in most cases. I challenge anyone to zone against a fast, short stacked, 3-3 or 3-5.  By the time you take the slide step the LB is in your face resulting in a one on one situation to which you have over stepped.  Now your caught half way to the combo and redirecting. 

Not that many moons ago, Clark did a study outlining the importance of getting the second step on the ground, not now, but now!  One cannot deny the results.  As such, I would say that the basic OZ (45 degree up field step) is better suited to getting that second step in the ground and being able to block the aforementioned defenses, leaving IZ out.  However, I would argue that a Veer or Wishbone blocking scheme would take these as well if not better.   

:)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2011, 05:45:26 AM »
To me, one on one blocks are a natural part of a zone.  It's semantics, but I don't think of a covered tackle, next to a covered guard, blocking one-on-one as not being a zone block.  To me, that's just part of a zone scheme.

And the fundamentals are still huge, as always.  Just because the zone tells you who to block (one-on-one or two-on-two), that doesn't mean you can block them.

When I hear, "zone won't work," I don't take it as meaning we'll have some one-on-one blocks.  To me, that's a given.  I take it as meaning a zone scheme won't get them blocked.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.