Author Topic: Backwards zone blocking?  (Read 4131 times)

bear42

Backwards zone blocking?
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:15:48 PM »
After teaching zone blocking rules covered/uncovered and running IZ and OZ successfully, can I run my counters and traps (designated hole) with the same rules only tracking away from the hole on the playside and pulling on the backside.

Is this what is referred to as Down blocking?

Make any since?

CoachKell

Re: Backwards zone blocking?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »
After teaching zone blocking rules covered/uncovered and running IZ and OZ successfully, can I run my counters and traps (designated hole) with the same rules only tracking away from the hole on the playside and pulling on the backside.

Is this what is referred to as Down blocking?

Make any since?

No down blocking is blocking down inside (turn asses to the hole) usually there's some type of kick block to run behind at the hole. 

Technically I guess you could kick away from zone, but I can't see it working that well.  Some teams, run zone from an I or offset I kick the end away from the zone play, but I don't think I've ever seen a team run behind it, because there's no one to block a  linebacker

coach msl

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:59:24 PM »
No down blocking is blocking down inside (turn asses to the hole) usually there's some type of kick block to run behind at the hole. 

Technically I guess you could kick away from zone, but I can't see it working that well.  Some teams, run zone from an I or offset I kick the end away from the zone play, but I don't think I've ever seen a team run behind it, because there's no one to block a  linebacker

Kell,

Doesnt Mountjoy and K Burns kick the bs on IZ?

IZ right.  H blocks left de:

.x.............t..g..c..g..t..y............
....z.................q............h
.......................a......................

CoachKell

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25:07 AM »
Kell,

Doesnt Mountjoy and K Burns kick the bs on IZ?

IZ right.  H blocks left de:

.x.............t..g..c..g..t..y............
....z.................q............h
.......................a......................

No, unless they've changed it, iwithin the last day or 2 , there is NO kickout on IZ or OZ, h (in this case Z) is usually out about 8-15 yards depending on the call, his block is down on the safety, in a 2 high look, the safety to his side

-----------X------------------------T--G--C--G--T--Y
--------------------------------H----------Q-----------------------------------------Z

--------------------------------------------R

BSE is left unblocked we hold that with our roll out, however we can change that if need be by bringing our Z in and hooking a DE if need be

coach msl

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »
Kell

Maybe i am misunderstanding what Bill wrote me and what Kevin diagramed in his Drill Circuit PDF. 

From Bill Mountjoy Feb 13th:  "On IZ = H blocks #3 away from the play no matter WHERE he lines up."

You have seen this on Saturday's.  H lines up over a TE on right.  IZ right, h runs a counter path across to BS and blocks DE or W.  But OZ or Toss right, H blocks PS.  I think its a great false key.  Especially when lb / s are zooming in on H. 

Alex Gibbs:  (Paraphrase) Because IZ is a cutback play, you have to have that BS #3 accounted for via H back or Motion Z.
I could be wrong with this one though.  I will have to go back and watch his dvd.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:41:13 AM by coach msl »

CoachKell

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 08:35:48 AM »
Kell

Maybe i am misunderstanding what Bill wrote me and what Kevin diagramed in his Drill Circuit PDF. 

From Bill Mountjoy Feb 13th:  "On IZ = H blocks #3 away from the play no matter WHERE he lines up."

You have seen this on Saturday's.  H lines up over a TE.  IZ he runs a counter path BS.  But OZ or Toss, He blocks PS.  I think its a great false key.  Especially when lb / s are zooming in on H. 

Alex Gibbs:  (Paraphrase) Because IZ is a cutback play, you have to have that BS #3 accounted for via H back or Motion Z.
I could be wrong with this one though.  I will have to go back and watch his dvd.

Actually, you are right, I'm wrong he does hook or DT with the T, my bad

I'm confusing it with what he does on Power. 

Formal apologies
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:41:45 AM by CoachKell »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
As I understand it, it's not a kick-out to run under.

It's just account for the guy, because if you cut back, it's not helpful to have a guy back there coming free.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

coach msl

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »
Actually, you are right, I'm wrong he does hook or DT with the T, my bad

I'm confusing it with what he does on Power. 

Formal apologies

Dude, forget the apologies, not needed for me.  Especially a formal one.   :P

Matt

coach msl

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:13:47 AM »
As I understand it, it's not a kick-out to run under.

It's just account for the guy, because if you cut back, it's not helpful to have a guy back there coming free.

Thats how i understand it also.

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 03:48:30 PM »
@bear42,

Your thought process is exactly right IMO coach.  We use zone principles/rotations througout our run game.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:19:11 PM by cyflcoach »
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant