Author Topic: Spread Formation Zone Blocking  (Read 4248 times)

Offline CoachMattColorado

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Single Wing
Spread Formation Zone Blocking
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:24:49 PM »
Now that I have a decent understanding of the Inside and Outside Zone blocking from the other thread. Thanks for the great info-BTW.

Wanted to inquire if a spread type formation when they talk about Zone blocking, is it basically the same principles? Blocking an area, covered/uncovered, etc? Don't have a TE now of course and only 5 on the line. It would seem to me that a Zone Read Play requires the QB or RB to make the same kind of Read of the blocking and adjust to where the defense goes. Does that sound correct?

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
Re: Spread Formation Zone Blocking
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
Zone schemes are zone schemes, regardless of the surface they are run to.  Many different reads and option variations are possible off the base play, but the scheme itself remains largely the same IMO.

My suggestion would be to not think of it as "blocking an area" Matt, because you are simply using blockers 1, 2 and possibly 3 to block defenders 1, 2 and 3 rather than 1 blocking 1, etc.  That's really all there is to it no matter how many rules, counting methods, etc. are applied.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
Now that I have a decent understanding of the Inside and Outside Zone blocking from the other thread. Thanks for the great info-BTW.

Wanted to inquire if a spread type formation when they talk about Zone blocking, is it basically the same principles? Blocking an area, covered/uncovered, etc? Don't have a TE now of course and only 5 on the line. It would seem to me that a Zone Read Play requires the QB or RB to make the same kind of Read of the blocking and adjust to where the defense goes. Does that sound correct?

Matt

The only spread O that uses Zone that I quickly trashed was the read read gun 2x2 no TE's that every College on the planet runs. Does not work worth a crap vs a 50 front youth defense. Now instead of the QB reading one backside defender there are two....one to fold and crush the RB and one to knock the fillings right our of the QB's mouth. So...you need a TE or two for the read read philosophy vs anything greater than a 40 front.

Other than that....What Coach Hartman says.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »
A 50 defense pretty much needs a tight end to align to, so lots of options will be available if they don't choose to adjust to a 3, 4 or 5 wide set. 

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »
My suggestion would be to not think of it as "blocking an area" Matt, because you are simply using blockers 1, 2 and possibly 3 to block defenders 1, 2 and 3 rather than 1 blocking 1, etc.  That's really all there is to it no matter how many rules, counting methods, etc. are applied.

Right.  I think of it like this:  It ends man-on-man, but before the LBs move (or don't move), you don't know how the O-Linemen and the D-Linemen and LBs will be matched up at the end of the play.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 04:06:59 PM »
A 50 defense pretty much needs a tight end to align to, so lots of options will be available if they don't choose to adjust to a 3, 4 or 5 wide set. 

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach

Dave

And why for the life of me I dont understand the College game anymore. Walk up a SS and kill the entire O...especially against the teams that dont pass all that well.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

coach msl

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 05:10:19 PM »
The spread is fun only if there are STUDS at wr.  Get the ball out there and watch them play.  The spread is brutal if there are average kids at wr (Completing a few passes is different than making them PAY dearly for Buying the run?). 

JMHO
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:13:33 PM by coach msl »

Offline jem

• Silver
  • "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Option
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
Dave

And why for the life of me I dont understand the College game anymore. Walk up a SS and kill the entire O...especially against the teams that dont pass all that well.

Coach Mike

That is why they recruit Cam Newton  :P
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:12:40 PM by jem »
"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

CoachKell

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »

On the Zone read, the QB keys the EMOL away from the play, for the give/keep if the Defender stays tight behind the los, pursuing the backs path, he pulls and replaces the defender.

I'm not a fan of zone read
 1) because it's tougher for the back to read running paralell to the LOS
 2) we can hit the hole better running downhill

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 01:48:23 AM »
That's why we run IZ/read out of the Pistol instead of the gun.  The mesh is very similar to running midline and definitely gives the play more of a downhill feel to it versus running it from the gun.  The backside read accompanied with bubble has been a great addition to our offense the past two seasons.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:05:26 AM by cyflcoach »

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Offline The Hat

• Copper
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 01:51:53 AM »
We ran zone read out of the gun last year and had to motion the slot when we came up against a five man front. The slot receiver had some nasty crack blocks on the DE! We ran a two back set most of the time. This was with 11 and 12 yr olds. Had our best offensive season ever running IZ.
DC for weight/age limit youth football
"Who loves this game!!.....WE DO!!!!"

CoachKell

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2011, 06:02:15 AM »
That's why we run IZ/read out of the Pistol instead of the gun.  The mesh is very similar to running midline and definitely gives the play more of a downhill feel to it versus running it from the gun.  The backside read accompanied with bubble has been a great addition to our offense the past two seasons.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach

Pistol is excellent for Zone,  I prefer under center for a better quick game though