Author Topic: Shade to Playside  (Read 1590 times)

bear42

Shade to Playside
« on: March 13, 2011, 11:31:39 AM »
How do you handle this situation.

The center has a shade to the playside, G is uncovered and T has a 4 or 4i, hypothetically speaking of course.

We are running IZ and the shade slants to the G hard. Mike gets up and helps early.

Are we looking at a cutback situation now or should the PSG give a hand shiver to the shade to help the C who I awesome will be taking a bucket step to get leverage on the shade.

..............................................9.....5...3.....s.......4
................................................e.....t....g..c..g....t..

coach msl

Re: Shade to Playside
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:16:05 PM »

The center has a shade to the playside, G is uncovered and T has a 4 or 4i, hypothetically speaking of course.

We are running IZ and the shade slants to the G hard. Mike gets up and helps early.

Are we looking at a cutback situation now or should the PSG give a hand shiver to the shade to help the C who I awesome will be taking a bucket step to get leverage on the shade.

Good question bear.

Heres my stab at it.

What about running IZ Left If that nose is a freak.  Running OZ to the right you could cut him?  There maybe some other plays you could run to get the down block you want from the g?

...............................................................1.....-1........
..............................................4.....3....2.....0.....-2..........
................................................Y.....T....G..C..g....t..
IZ Left
Y, T, G = Base 4,3,2
C and g combo to 1
t sift (B gap up to backer)

Anywhere close to helping?

Matt

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 09:01:10 PM »

Bear

This is the number one reason we will slide step the uncovered man. Now he can "chip" the backside...a good punch with the backside hand on the defenders near shoulder as he prepares to combo front side. This is imperative if the shade is to the same side of the Centers snapping hand and why we go progressive splits with the A gaps always the smallest. We practice the heck out of this. The Linemen needing a good chip from his will ask for help in the huddle. I have found that this is something now always seen by everyone…but certainly felt by a few. So Ask and you shall receive.

If the shade is to the play side of the C and to the play side of the OT…for example…the OG is in no mans land for a second…so the chip does not slow him down. The OG has to be careful if the C asks for a chip and the OT is covered head up…that DT can easily hit the B gap and then the OG is doing two things at once right away.

We teach hip checking in our pass pro…see the UP/ DN thread in the passing section. This lends itself well to overloads on OG’s especially. They learn…over time and thru experience…to block with a good punch front side while hip checking backside. Then when on complete overload…time to drop and make a pile because its getting real bad right now.

The best way to avoid all this nonsense….pick a kid that can actaully play Center with purpose. That is the very first position I shore up in any offense. He is that important....from youth to the NFL.

My 2 cents....

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

bear42

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 10:54:03 PM »
Thanks guys,

I have volunteered/insisted for  the OL coach position this year (excepted) and I need all the help I can get. I'm just an old DB, WR and didn't realize what these guys go through to make things click. I can't wait to get in the trenches.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
Alex Gibbs was a RB/DB.  You're in good company.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.