Author Topic: Reduction or Reduced Defense  (Read 6418 times)

Offline CoachMattColorado

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Single Wing
Reduction or Reduced Defense
« on: April 13, 2011, 09:05:33 AM »
Have been reading up on Zone blocking, both Alex Gibbs and Milt Tenopir's versions, and they both talk about running it against a "reduction" or "reduced" defense and I am not sure what that means. I am assuming that it is a defensive front that shades to the strength of the offensive formation. Is that correct?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
Re: Reduction or Reduced Defense
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:51:55 AM »
A reduction technically is when the LDOLOS aligns inside the TE or OT. 
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
Like CoachShad mentioned, a reduced front typically refers to a DE and DT sliding down inside to align over a guard and tackle on the open side of a formation.  A "Weak Eagle" is one example of a reduced front in a 50 defense.  A "Double Eagle" is often used to describe a T-N-T alignment where both interior d-linemen are aligned over the offensive guards.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 12:55:27 PM by cyflcoach »
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Offline JrTitan

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: I Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »
Like CoachShad mentioned, a reduced front typically refers to a DE and DT sliding down inside to align over a guard and tackle on the open side of a formation.  A "Weak Eagle" is one example of a reduced front in a 50 defense.  A "Double Eagle" is often used to describe a T-N-T alignment where both interior d-linemen are aligned over the offensive guards.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach

You can have reduced fronts to the TE side as well.  From a defensive structure stand point, my understanding is that if the B gap is covered by a down lineman (3 tech or 4i) it is generally considered a reduced front.  If the B gap is uncovered, it's typically the wide side of the defensive structure.

"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons"

"You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."

“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
So running the outside zone into a reduced front would have the goal of more blockers than defenders? Create a bigger seam and hopefully gain more yards.

Offline JrTitan

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: I Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:48:44 PM »
So running the outside zone into a reduced front would have the goal of more blockers than defenders? Create a bigger seam and hopefully gain more yards.

That's correct.  Run Power-O and OZ to a reduced front.   Run IZ and Counter to wide side concept.
"They call it coaching but it is teaching...You do not just tell them...you show them the reasons"

"You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important."

“…you have no bad habits to break...We either coach it or are allowing allowing it to happen.”

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:46:17 PM »
That's correct.  Run Power-O and OZ to a reduced front.   Run IZ and Counter to wide side concept.

Essentially they are setting the edge further inside for you.  With typical QZ blocking (Not pin and pull or pull and replace) it sets up the LDOLOS for an easier block for the OT.  Mind you that in most Zone concepts it's the backs responsibility to make the blocks work rather than hit the hole.   ;) :D

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
it sets up the LDOLOS for an easier block for the OT.  Mind you that in most Zone concepts it's the backs responsibility to make the blocks work rather than hit the hole.   ;) :D

Coach Shad - I think I know what it means, but LDOLOS is an acronym for what?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Last Defender On Line Of Scrimmage  (LDOLOS)   ;D

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:24 AM »
I was wondering who L.D. Olos played for. :)
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.