Author Topic: NFL DRAFT AND "ZONE BACKS"  (Read 4235 times)

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
NFL DRAFT AND "ZONE BACKS"
« on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:49 PM »
Amazing,

There was "jockeying" in draft order as teams were trying to leap over each other to get "zone skilled" backs for their zone offenses.  Draft/Talent "experts" were caught off guard when one back would drop vs another until the explanation of "zone skilled" came up.
So, this question begs to be asked...is zone appropriate for those of us who do not get to trade/choose our talent? what if we dont have "zone skilled" backs?

thoughts???
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Re: NFL DRAFT AND "ZONE BACKS"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
Amazing,

There was "jockeying" in draft order as teams were trying to leap over each other to get "zone skilled" backs for their zone offenses.  Draft/Talent "experts" were caught off guard when one back would drop vs another until the explanation of "zone skilled" came up.
So, this question begs to be asked...is zone appropriate for those of us who do not get to trade/choose our talent? what if we dont have "zone skilled" backs?

thoughts???

ALL skills can be taught IF you don't teach too many skills.  A "zone" running back is like a man running full speed thru a heavily wooded forest - if you run head on into a damned tree - you will probably never make a RB.  If you "jump cut" the trees - you probably WILL.

We teach the RB to "JUMP CUT" defenders in the hole.  We give the RB an AIMING POINT to run to, & ONE defender to READ on the play.  If the defender isn't in the hole at the landmark - run straight ahead.  If he IS in the hole at the landmark - JUMP CUT in the direction he came FROM.

SEE ATTACHMENT:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:03:32 PM by BillMountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline CoachCalande

• Platinum
  • Its never been "My bad"
  • Defense: 46
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:09:35 PM »
You would think that the pros, being great teachers/coaches , would take the most physically gifted player and TEACH HIM ZONE SKILLS then? That was sort of my point. In some cases the better physical specimen dropped under a player who had succeeded in a zone offense in college.  I love the jump cut, any back that can double cut is a pretty good back.
MOJO    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtcRmKnRcsA

Go to WWW.COACHCALANDE.COM  for Double Wing DVDs, Playbook, Drills Manuals, Practice footage and emagazines. Ask me about our new 38 special dvds!

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »
You would think that the pros, being great teachers/coaches , would take the most physically gifted player and TEACH HIM ZONE SKILLS then? That was sort of my point. In some cases the better physical specimen dropped under a player who had succeeded in a zone offense in college.  I love the jump cut, any back that can double cut is a pretty good back.

Read the other day that 95% of colleges now FEATURE zone blocking (in BOTH run & pass schemes).  What remains is for the Coach at the next level to blend him into his VERSION of it.

It isn't really any big deal.   I see this done with EXCELLENCE in High School ball (& younger) right here in Va.

Here is what is so GOOD about it:

WHY WE ZONE BLOCK:

1.   Zone blocking means that our blockers are responsible for only HALF a man (they have “ass protection” coming from an uncovered teammate to their inside).  This way, we frequently get DOUBLE TEAMS from the DLM to the LBer.  A blocker can come off the ball FASTER, & with MORE CONFIDENCE if he knows that he has help.  If the DLM goes inside – he will be turned over to your inside teammate.

2.    In a zone blocking scheme, fleet-footedness and athletic ability trump size as desirable qualities in offensive linemen. Coordination and technique matter more than muscle in implementing a successful scheme because defensive linemen are often double-teamed at the point of attack. Creating movement on the defensive line is more important than opening a specific hole in the defense.

3.   You cannot MAN block all twists, slants, angles, stacks, etc.  Sooner or later – you HAVE to zone off with another man, or defenders will run free.  If you look at Vince Lombardi playbooks from the 1950’s & 1960’s – he EMPHASIZES zoning off on certain RUN schemes (he called it “Do-Dad” blocking), and on pass protection schemes vs. “twists”, etc.

4.   It has proven to cut off penetration, & create movement on level 1 (DLM), with someone coming off on level 2 (LBer).

This is real good:

http://a.espncdn.com/ncf/columns/davie/1440703.html
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:27:00 PM by BillMountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »
Bill

I will add that it actually saves practice time too.

Shall we now refer to zone blocking as do-dad blocking?   :D

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:03:00 PM »
I just prefer "zone".  Although we don't make blocking CAlls - our kids also understand TERMS that indicate who zone blocks with who.  For example, instead of me saying "CENTER ZONE WITH RG - we use the term "RAY".  The Center COULD make that call in a game, but we prefer RECOGNITION (IE:  Center uncovered - RAY with RG).  The call can be made if NECESSARY.

Alex Gibbs insists on CALLS on EVERY PLAY.  Joe Bugel & Jim Hanifan didn't WANT calls made unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!  Here is a LIST of zone CALLS:

ZONE BLOCKING PLAYS:

1.   “MINGO” = MAN BLOCK (calls OFF zone if LBer walks up into LOS)

2.   “COMBO” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN OFFSIDE H/Y AND T (T WOULD BE COVERED

3.   “SLIP” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN OFFSIDE T AND G (T/UNCOVERED & G/COVERED)

4.   “SCOOP” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN OFFSIDE G & CTR (G/UNCOVERED & C/COVERED)

5.   “RAY” & “LENNY” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN CTR & ONSIDE G (CTR/UNCOVERED & G/COVERED).  “RAY” = RT & “LENNY = LT.

6.   “READ” = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN ON G & T (G/UNCOVERED & T/COVERED)

7.   "TED"  = ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN ON T & H/Y (T/UNCOVERED & H/Y/COVERED)

We RARELY use 3 man zone blocking - but here it is:

8.   “TEAM” = 3 MAN ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN CTR-ON G – ON T.   (USED ON INSIDE OR OUTSIDE ZONE)

9.   “GANG” = 3 MAN ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN ON G-ON T- ON H/Y.  USED PRIMARILY ON OUTSIDE ZONE

10.   “RAM” = 3 MAN ZONE BLOCK BETWEEN BOTH G’s & CTR.  USED PRIMARILY ON OUTSIDE ZONE.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:05:38 PM by BillMountjoy »

Offline defensewins

• Bronze
  • Coaching: College
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 09:31:19 PM »
Amazing,

thoughts???

I kind of look at it from a different perspective... I think some people (read: commentators and talking heads) throw around terms like "zone skilled" or "power runner" when they don't really know (or maybe define would be a better term) what they actually are talking about, or, better yet, completely arbitrarily.  Alstott for the Bucs wasn't a zone runner, but he ran zone blocking schemes in short yardage well.  I bet you could take Coffee (kid from Alabama that ran all zone stuff) and put him in the wing t and he would do fantastic, as he would do well in a 2x2 and 3x1 100% gun offense. 

There is a reason that teams make the choice to run zone schemes in multiple formations.  Some to fit what they want to do in the passing game, and others for the simplicity of it (as mountjoy has alluded to).  But another thing is that defenses are so dang fast (especially in the NFL) and can do so many different things, that it is dang near impossible to have a call or check or rule for every situation that a defense can throw at you. 

Some can hang with the speed, make quick decisions and do the right thing.  Some can't.  IMO, "zone skilled" is the former, and everyone else is the latter. 

PS-the more I think about it, I don't necessarily believe that it has to (100%) do with zone or gap schemes, as I know that Stanford and Cal are both teaching their RB's to READ on POWER (for crying out loud) from PS A gap to outside. 

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »
DEFENSEWINS SAID:  "PS-the more I think about it, I don't necessarily believe that it has to (100%) do with zone or gap schemes, as I know that Stanford and Cal are both teaching their RB's to READ on POWER (for crying out loud) from PS A gap to outside".

DEFENSEWINS:  That's the way to RUN "Power".  Run OFF the double teams (see dots on helmets of defender we are READING) & look for cut from INSIDE-OUT (A GAP OUT):  We have run it this way for 28 years!!!!!

RB:  Take a lateral (heavy) jab opposite point of attack (be patient). Look the LBers off away from the point of attack on first step.  Hit downhill for the outside leg of ON G & read helmet of DLM being doubled (see dot on helmet in playsheets).  Stay on backside hip of wrapper - follow his block & stay behind it.  LOOK FOR YOUR CUT FROM INSIDE OUT (A GAP/B GAP/C GAP).

ATTACHED:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:58:40 PM by BillMountjoy »

Offline coachnick

• Silver
  • offense dw defense gambler
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 12:01:33 PM »
In regards to the drill "jump cut".......Are the runners literally laterally jumping?  How high should they be? break that down for me a little better.....   Also, what if you dont zone block?  What would be (if needed) the coaching point for the jump cut then?

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 12:16:15 PM »
In regards to the drill "jump cut".......Are the runners literally laterally jumping?  How high should they be? break that down for me a little better.....   Also, what if you dont zone block?  What would be (if needed) the coaching point for the jump cut then?

JUMP LATERALLY - NOT HIGH.  USE IN ANY OFFENSE IF DEFENDER IN FRONT OF YOU - THIS IS ALL THERE IS ABOUT IT

Offline coachnick

• Silver
  • offense dw defense gambler
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
and it is used within the los correct?  are both feet in the air??

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:38 PM »
U of Florida's "JUMP CUT" DRILL FOR ZONE RB'S (INCLUDED IN THIS VIDEO):

http://www.afctube.com/?q=node/809
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:29:44 PM by BillMountjoy »