Author Topic: Outside Zone Block 50 Front  (Read 6699 times)

Offline CoachMattColorado

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Single Wing
Outside Zone Block 50 Front
« on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »
       E  DT      N        DT   DE
             T  G  C  G  T  TE

Outside zone block a “50” defensive front. BSG and C combo the Nose, PSG and PST Combo the DT and the TE is alone on the DE, is that correct?

If the TE is one on one with the DE is he just trying to influence the DE to the outside?

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Re: Outside Zone Block 50 Front
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:12 PM »
He takes the DE where he wants to go.  If he can reach him then great if not either run him to the sideline or wash him up field.  Don't fight walled cities.  Let that DE take himself out of the play.

I think the bigger issue is not the DE but an OLB in a 53 filling C gap.  Your RB better bend it back on that.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »
I'm pretty sure the DE is the first read.  If he goes in, you go out.  If he goes out, you then read the DT.  So wherever he wants to go is good enough.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 07:01:36 PM »
OZ doesn't necessarily mean a double team will happen in some instances its merely taking off at a 45 degree angle (Ala the Reach) and taking the first man you come to.  In essence the OT has the DT and the TE has the DE.  Looking at this formation my back has to have the patience to find the hole either going outside or cutting back inside. ;)

That being said, no way in hell do I OZ here, I beat them up Inside.  Why beat your head against a brick wall.   
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:26:02 PM by CoachShad »
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »

That being said, now way in hell do I OZ here, I beat them up Inside.  Why beat your head against a brick wall.   

Agree, beat them up inside until they adjust, and the hit it outside.

coach msl

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 07:56:43 AM »
That DT is awful wide.  What technique is he in? 

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Title: Other
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 09:48:46 AM »
The DT I believe looks wide because of trying to match a 2 letter term (DT) to a one letter term (T).  Add in tapping the space bar 1 or 2 extra times and it will line up weird.  Look at the N.  The N is "drawn" as a 1 tech but more than likely is a 0.

Offline jem

• Silver
  • "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Option
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:55:17 PM »
             T  G  C  G  T  TE

Outside zone block a “50” defensive front. BSG and C combo the Nose, PSG and PST Combo the DT and the TE is alone on the DE, is that correct?

If the TE is one on one with the DE is he just trying to influence the DE to the outside?

I'm running ISV against that   ???    :P
.... just pulling ya chain a little bit   :D

j
"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

coach msl

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
The DT I believe looks wide because of trying to match a 2 letter term (DT) to a one letter term (T).  Add in tapping the space bar 1 or 2 extra times and it will line up weird.  Look at the N.  The N is "drawn" as a 1 tech but more than likely is a 0.

OK so hes a 5 or 4. 

If its a 53, your right, that OLB will be tough.  Lots of what-ifs.  I guess to keep with the OP,  Playside Tackle is gona have to rip thru the DT and the Playside G has to get his butt on the DT.  The RB reads the block by the TE.  He tries to reach the DE, but if he cant, no worries. 

do you give your rb a secondary read on OZ?  I know many coaches teach the rb to read the DT after his primary read tells him to cut it up.

Matt

CoachKell

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »
             T  G  C  G  T  TE

The PSG will "Check" the block of the PST, if the DT, goes outside the PSG will climb to the next level by the time his second foot hits the ground... he will only combo if they can establish it.

the TE will step and try to establish himself inside the DE but will block him the way he wants to go

The backs 1st read is the DE in this case his second read ( or cut) will be the PSDT

hope that helps

coach msl

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:47:35 PM »
The PSG will "Check" the block of the PST, if the DT, goes outside the PSG will climb to the next level by the time his second foot hits the ground... he will only combo if they can establish it.

the TE will step and try to establish himself inside the DE but will block him the way he wants to go

The backs 1st read is the DE in this case his second read ( or cut) will be the PSDT

hope that helps

Coach

This is much better discription of the G/T Combo. 

One question.  In your opinion, is forcing a switch the wrong approach for OZ?  What are the results/consequences?   

thanks

Matt

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »

hope that helps

Coach - That helps bunch.

Offline seeindouble

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 11:12:03 PM »

CoachKell, the TE's block is a reach block isn't it?

CoachKell

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 11:26:42 PM »
CoachKell, the TE's block is a reach block isn't it?

Yes he will attempt to reach the DE, however with no inside assistane from the PST, you can also have him take a 45 at the outside armpit of the EMOL, this way he has a better angle on the end, if he tries to slant inside  we get contact instantly if he goes around we can just take him upfield . 

CoachKell

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 11:27:26 PM »
Coach

This is much better discription of the G/T Combo. 

One question.  In your opinion, is forcing a switch the wrong approach for OZ?  What are the results/consequences?   

thanks

Matt

Welcome Matt, not sure what you mean by forcing a switch though?