Author Topic: Outside Zone Block 50 Front  (Read 6701 times)

coach msl

Re: Outside Zone Block 50 Front
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:10 AM »
Everybody does things different.

Got the term from Kevin Burns.  He says in one document that the:

Uncovered lineman should "execute a "Pull-Takeover" tech....work hard to overtake your covered man's DLM.  Your shoulders are allowed to angle into the LOS on OZ (they must stay parallel to LOS on IZ)

Covered lineman should "execute a "Rip-Reach" tech...the covered lineman wants to rip through his DLM to get to the LB, while his uncovered partner takes over his original block.  If the covered lineman is unable to rip throughn because the DLM fights to the outside, then the covered lineman stays with that block and his uncovered teammate turns up and finds the linebacker.

A little different approach, it seems, than Bills:

Uncovered:
#1 DLM helmet goes out & haven't contacted DLM by 3rd step - work upfield
#2 DLM helmet stays put - shove him over to covered teammate and work upfield
#3 DLM helmet slants inside - take him over

Two very successful coaches.  Pretty different approach though on this detail of OZ.  Very interesting.  Thanks

Matt

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »

Uncovered lineman should "execute a "Pull-Takeover" tech....work hard to overtake your covered man's DLM.  Your shoulders are allowed to angle into the LOS on OZ (they must stay parallel to LOS on IZ)

Covered lineman should "execute a "Rip-Reach" tech...the covered lineman wants to rip through his DLM to get to the LB, while his uncovered partner takes over his original block.  If the covered lineman is unable to rip throughn because the DLM fights to the outside, then the covered lineman stays with that block and his uncovered teammate turns up and finds the linebacker.

Uncovered:

Two very successful coaches.  Pretty different approach though on this detail of OZ.  Very interesting.  Thanks

Matt

What you're describbing is a pull and replace that requires a more verticle release from the LOS.  In the case as drawn the only real way to attack it is to release at a 45 degree step to the gaps.  If the DT comes inside then the G can assist otherwise he goes next level.  The TE has a reach block.

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

CoachKell

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2011, 01:17:19 PM »

Uncovered:

Matt

Kevin is WAY beyond successful, one of the best coaches i know, if that's how he does it, then I conclude that I was wrong, but that's how I know how to teach it

coach msl

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 12:31:23 AM »
Kevin is WAY beyond successful, one of the best coaches i know, if that's how he does it, then I conclude that I was wrong, but that's how I know how to teach it

Dang.  I didnt say you were wrong Kell.  i want to know how you do it.  I am just picking brains and sharing what ive come across. 

CoachKell

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
Dang.  I didnt say you were wrong Kell.  i want to know how you do it.  I am just picking brains and sharing what ive come across.

I know,that's the respect I have for the guy , I just run the bare bones Gibbs style zone Bill taught me.  We only overtake on an established double, or partial double.  I see too many stunts to risk not getting vertical "now"

Offline Coach Big B

• Silver
  • Hybrid Pistol Attack (Pistol/TFS)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 01:42:33 PM »
http://www.coachbigb.com/coaching-resources

check out the zone blocking ppt. I think it shows you how to block every front. This guy did a great job on it and he has been on the show. I hope this helps.
The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit."

Coach Vince Lombardi