Author Topic: What is the difference betwee IZ and OZ?  (Read 6289 times)

Offline durfee4

• Platinum
  • Wing-T
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Coordinator
Re: What is the difference betwee IZ and OZ?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
The blocking is still the same, isn't it. Or is it like the veer, where you leave a 3/4 tech. alone?
Coach, i,am just learning about zone blocking my self,maybe these will help.
Success only comes before Work in the dictionary

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
There are two immediate differences.

OZ – the play side is in piggy back mode meaning they are attempting to run the defense horizontal and up field so the zone blocking will rotate back against the flow. The uncovered linemen are reach stepping so they can piggy back the covered linemen and bump them off of the combos to the second level. The faster this happens the faster the zone rotates and why the back must be set deep and “ stretch”  his monument all the way to the TE or a ghost TE. This forces the QB to open at 4 or 8 oclock. The back side is cut blocking.

IZ – the play side is in more of a right now mode and not in an immediate reaching mode but more up field into the defense. The zone is not rotating so the initial steps are no longer influence steps but rather more into the defender steps. The uncovered linemen is less concerned with taking over for the covered linemen because its now a vertical scheme so stuff is happening quicker and why the back now changes his monument more towards the G’s. The QB must now open at 5 of 7 oclock. The back side is now drive blocking.

For me, that seems to describe the only real difference….one is a stretch play…one is not.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
Here are a few slides to help.

What happens is all about the first level of the defense and what they do.

The combos are all predicated on what the first level  of the D does and the running backs path.

What I like about OZ is the QB boot action for the pass because he play actions right back into a nice neat safe little pocket. Good for the slow footed QB that cant run good boot keeps. The IZ action lends itself to the QB with speed because his action is much quicker and more immediate so he can boot to the back side effectively. Less desirable for me for passing because its hard for him to play action and naturally stay in that nice neat little pocket.

The first 3 are OZ scenarios...the last 3 IZ scenarios against the typical youth 53 D.

Kids can learn to block this stuff easy peazy....that’s not the issue.... the $64 question is...at what age can a TB responsibly anticipate the zone and in turn do his part. Those that figure it out run roughshod all over the defense...those that dont continually run right up the backsides of their own linemen.

You cant run a good zone scheme without the back becoming part of the blocking…so to speak. He has to do his part because there are no “holes” he is running through. Seams in the D is what he must find and 7 out of 10 times there are gargantic seams in the D.

Can the TB find them?

Coach Mike

CoachKell

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 04:21:34 PM »
get any cutup of oz plays, you wont see a cut back of any sort. I didnt believe at first either but if you watch carefully, there is no cutback on the oz play

You are correct, in a sense it's not a "cutback" per se however when you consider the original idea of the play is to get outside, then the cutback simply becomes an off tackle. The term simply referrs to the change in direction

I have however seen OZ plays where the back has had to cutback as far as the NG.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »

You are correct, in a sense it's not a "cutback" per se however when you consider the original idea of the play is to get outside, then the cutback simply becomes an off tackle. The term simply referrs to the change in direction

I have however seen OZ plays where the back has had to cutback as far as the NG.
The original Idea of the play was to run off tackle. run to daylight...
Watch the replay again... that nose tackle has move to the starting point of the playside tackle.
look where the ball is marked and where the "cutback" happens.  NO cutback.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

CoachKell

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 08:44:49 PM »
The original Idea of the play was to run off tackle. run to daylight...
Watch the replay again... that nose tackle has move to the starting point of the playside tackle.
look where the ball is marked and where the "cutback" happens.  NO cutback.

No it was a cutback, it may've been a broken play or a bad decision (which still gained pretty good yardage)  but he reversed his path, almost back to the center , not your typical OZ play. 

I know what you are saying though on OZ we cut UP not back ... I use the term cutback though

Zone (Per Bill Mountjoy, my mentor )

ORIGINAL THINKING ON ZONE PLAYS::

1. INSIDE ZONE (AKA: “TIGHT ZONE”)  is designed to DRIVE THE DLM OFF THE BALL INO THE LAPS OF THE LBers  (“move level 1 back to level 2”).  It is more of a "cram the B gap, or cut back" play. IZ better vs. defenses that play a little soft - striking a blow & pursuing laterally.   Using tighter POWER ZONE BLOCKING PRINCIPLES (seeking vertical double teams) – it is  important that we get movement off the LOS by the O-Line, so the RB can run off the first DLM outside the Center, finding the creases, and coming downhill to run to daylight.

NOTE:  We love it vs "Okie", & "Under" fronts, with a bubble over the ON G.  The  RB has a chance to cram the B gap, or cut back.

2. OUTSIDE ZONE (AKA: “WIDE ZONE”)  is designed to STRETCH THE DEFENSE.  It is more of a cram the C gap or take it wide" play. OZ better vs. defenses that charge straight ahead & try to overpower the O-Line. The O-Line uses wider FULL ZONE PRINCIPLES to create movement up front, seeking double teams, but will come off a little quicker in going to the LBers. The path of the RB will initially stretch the defense to the outside while the RB option runs off the TE's block.

NOTE:  We love it vs. "Over" & "Even”  fronts, with bubble over ON T.  The RB has the straight shot to cut UP (NOT back) at the C gap if the man on the TE contains, and if the man on the TE comes inside - the RB has a chance to "circle the defense".

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 09:23:09 PM by CoachKell »

coach msl

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »
No it was a cutback, it may've been a broken play or a bad decision (which still gained pretty good yardage)  but he reversed his path, almost back to the center , not your typical OZ play. 

I know what you are saying though on OZ we cut UP not back ... I use the term cutback though

Zone (Per Bill Mountjoy, my mentor )

ORIGINAL THINKING ON ZONE PLAYS::

1. INSIDE ZONE (AKA: “TIGHT ZONE”)  is designed to DRIVE THE DLM OFF THE BALL INO THE LAPS OF THE LBers  (“move level 1 back to level 2”).  It is more of a "cram the B gap, or cut back" play. IZ better vs. defenses that play a little soft - striking a blow & pursuing laterally.   Using tighter POWER ZONE BLOCKING PRINCIPLES (seeking vertical double teams) – it is  important that we get movement off the LOS by the O-Line, so the RB can run off the first DLM outside the Center, finding the creases, and coming downhill to run to daylight.

NOTE:  We love it vs "Okie", & "Under" fronts, with a bubble over the ON G.  The  RB has a chance to cram the B gap, or cut back.

2. OUTSIDE ZONE (AKA: “WIDE ZONE”)  is designed to STRETCH THE DEFENSE.  It is more of a cram the C gap or take it wide" play. OZ better vs. defenses that charge straight ahead & try to overpower the O-Line. The O-Line uses wider FULL ZONE PRINCIPLES to create movement up front, seeking double teams, but will come off a little quicker in going to the LBers. The path of the RB will initially stretch the defense to the outside while the RB option runs off the TE's block.

NOTE:  We love it vs. "Over" & "Even”  fronts, with bubble over ON T.  The RB has the straight shot to cut UP (NOT back) at the C gap if the man on the TE contains, and if the man on the TE comes inside - the RB has a chance to "circle the defense".

^^^^Great info worth Printing Out^^^^.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
A few questions
Pros and cons of having a TE for IZ/OZ?

How do you determine your dbl teams on the playside?

Do you have your center block playside or backside on a dble team with the OG for the cutback?

Ive seen some good youtube vids on zone blocking but they didnt go too in depth on the rules up front.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 04:35:37 PM »
Double teams are determined solely by the defensive alignment!  You may not get a DT at all.  Yes you can draw it on paper all you want but Zone blocking is a fluid concept not rigid.  If the defense aligns to meet you particular play call you may get the combinations desired.  In some cases folks are going to be totally unblocked.  Unless you teach pin and pull it is very hard for a guard to combo up with a tackle on a 5 tech.  You might get a G/C combo on the 1 leaving the 3 to the off guard.  The off tackle might help with the 3 but only if the 3 steps to B gap, if the 3 tries to cross the guards face its going to be real hard for the tackle to get there. A TE usually garners a one on one block, scoop or reach, regardless of IZ or OZ.

One thing that seems to come to the front in all cases is the fact that if the uncovered man directs himself at the play side hip of the man covering he will have a down block if the covered man escapes to the second level or an easy slide off to the LB if he steps towards him.  I am still running this through my head but so far it seems to hold true.   

Waits with flame suit on. 

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
A few questions

Do you have your center block playside or backside on a dble team with the OG for the cutback?

Ive seen some good youtube vids on zone blocking but they didnt go too in depth on the rules up front.

Rule 1: Block the man in front of you.

Rule 2: If you don't have a man in front of you, help your playside teammate with the man in front of him.

Rule 3: If two of you are blocking one D-Lineman, and a LB shows up in front of you, block the LB.

Rule 4: If a man isn't in front of you, he's not your problem (don't chase).

That's maybe not exactly it, but it's pretty close.

Just a little something-something for the "'Just block the man in front of you' is not a blocking scheme" crowd. :)
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »
Thanks

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
A few questions

B

A TE with a FB we reverse the TE’s blocking direction so he is either helping the OT or blocking an OLB / CB. The FB takes the edge defender. I think this is the best setup. As the kids get older and become more of a passing threat you can drop the FB. Then the TE has the edge defender if one shows or the OLB /CB is no edge defender.

OR….you can drop the TE and use a FB for the edge defender. This works well because a FB can block playside or backside without showing strength. 

Like Shad said…DT’s are determined by alignment.

Center always blocks playside.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2011, 10:30:43 PM »
Thanks for the breakdown, ive been playing around with this on my long offseason

---- wr---------------t-g-c-g-t-y-------
--------------wr------------------------------wr
---------------------------q
------------------------b

IZ read
OZ read
Zone Tackle trap
Fake zone bubble screen
Playaction to TE on dig, fakes blocking and runs behind lb
Fake zone read right, wr motions to speed option left
Too much time on my hands as i wait till after xmas to fill MY wishlist

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
I think that would be a nice series, add in some jet motion and get em thinkin

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 10:42:45 PM »
I think part of the point of zone is that you don't need to get them thinking.  Whatever they do, you can handle it.  Unless they put nine in the box.  Then it's time to get out of the run, as Gibbs says.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.