Author Topic: What is the difference betwee IZ and OZ?  (Read 6288 times)

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Other
Re: What is the difference betwee IZ and OZ?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:32 PM »
I was thinking the wr could motion back as the snap happened and hit the backside de as the qb runs backside of the play. Plus the speed option could be there with the quick screen off zone action. Like i said im just bouncing ideas off the wall
But i do appreciate the feedback

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2011, 10:48:38 PM »
I think that would be a nice series, add in some jet motion and get em thinkin

Im in a real quandary when it comes to the TE position. That position is such a great pass threat but at the youth level its the cherry on top for Zone schemes.

When we run a FB the TE's first move is always to the inside somehow...so we have him release for all routes by making that same first move inside. Man is that money for getting him open.

YET....I love my slot receiver too....and if Im gonna run a FB....sucker traps galore. I hate changing formations to run specific plays but that is the only option I have come up with.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
I agree with the TE being $$ on playaction after blocking the lb on the zone plays. The lb would be lulled to sleep and then bam, tE goes for huge gain.
I also played with dbl slots but i kept coming back to the TE as i would also like to run a power play to the left with him blocking down.
This formation also is set up for a shallow series in the pass game using tags ala Air Raid

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2011, 07:29:02 AM »
I was thinking the wr could motion back as the snap happened and hit the backside de as the qb runs backside of the play. Plus the speed option could be there with the quick screen off zone action. Like i said im just bouncing ideas off the wall
But i do appreciate the feedback

Ive seen some coaches block that BS DE with receivers.  My concern is that can be a tough log block.  Not impossible, but after the first time tough.  You may be better served to teach the qb a great ball fake.

We perferred Naked over Boot.  On boot, we blocked the DE.  On Naked we didnt.  Those DEs, 12 years old, have a nack for feeling a block.  If theyve been coached well, and they have contain, they fight that block and get pressure on the qb.  Now Naked is sick when the qb gets the fake right.  We ran both with the same pass routes. 

We used the fairly traditional boot routes:

Playside = side the qb is boot to.

Playside WR = Post Corner
Playside Y = Slam
Backside H = Drag
Backside WR = Post

We dropped Boot after week 5 or so.  Ran the heck out of Naked though.

Naked helped IZ.  Especially with our BS lineman using wide zone techniques.  Zone should be part of a series based offense.  That series is not as defined as say wing t or others.  But it is a series non the less.

FWIW, we allways run IZ & OZ to the Y or H.

Matt

What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2011, 07:47:06 AM »
I agree with the TE being $$ on playaction after blocking the lb on the zone plays. The lb would be lulled to sleep and then bam, tE goes for huge gain.
I also played with dbl slots but i kept coming back to the TE as i would also like to run a power play to the left with him blocking down.
This formation also is set up for a shallow series in the pass game using tags ala Air Raid

Is shallow similar to Mesh?  Slots (or TEs) run shallow routes.  WR run clearout or deep comeback. 

If so I definately agree.  We loved mesh. 

I would like to incorporate a sprint out or roll out off play fake.  Any ideas?
What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2011, 07:52:27 AM »
Shallow is very similiar to Mesh, you just have the TE run shallow at the heels of the Dlinemen as the slot runs a 10 yard cross with the outer wrs running fades-or vice versa-. But you can tag a outer wr to switch as he would then go shallow and the TE or slot to that side would run the fade ect. also tags such as wheel,post,corner ect. a simple concept that gets all involved in different areas of the field imo.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:54:35 AM by Belebuch »

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 12:19:03 PM »
I am a pocket guy thru and thru.

When we play action its off the OZ stretch action but to the weak side or away from the TE. Then the OL slides to the play action and the FB blocks for the vacating TE.

What this does is brings the QB back into the pocket. Really like this design. Even if the blocking has a breakdown the TB is drawing the attention. Plus it freezes the D because of the divide action between the FB and the TB.

At times we will reverse the action and keep the TE in but only when faced with a strong side overload.

Love the Z jet before the Iso or Zone or Trap and the Z orbit after the Iso or Zone or Trap as well. The play action off that mesh is really good as well and allows for the advanced routes that take some time.

Never ran boot....but naked boot for sure. Its a killer 3 or 4 times per game. Its really tough for the backside to play their assignments when the football is constantly going away from them.

I don’t know why so many youth coaches dog on the I formation.  It kicks a$$.  ;)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2011, 12:31:01 PM »
I am a pocket guy thru and thru.

When we play action its off the OZ stretch action but to the weak side or away from the TE. Then the OL slides to the play action and the FB blocks for the vacating TE.

What this does is brings the QB back into the pocket. Really like this design. Even if the blocking has a breakdown the TB is drawing the attention. Plus it freezes the D because of the divide action between the FB and the TB.

At times we will reverse the action and keep the TE in but only when faced with a strong side overload.

Love the Z jet before the Iso or Zone or Trap and the Z orbit after the Iso or Zone or Trap as well. The play action off that mesh is really good as well and allows for the advanced routes that take some time.

Never ran boot....but naked boot for sure. Its a killer 3 or 4 times per game. Its really tough for the backside to play their assignments when the football is constantly going away from them.

I don’t know why so many youth coaches dog on the I formation.  It kicks a$$.  ;)
you are a funny guy.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2011, 12:40:45 PM »
you are a funny guy.

Z

Thanks....comedy is my second calling.  :)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2011, 04:02:45 PM »
You really are a funny guy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWINtUCshxY[/youtube]
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
CLASSIC!!