Author Topic: Blocking a gap vs. a man head up  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Blocking a gap vs. a man head up
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
If I have the following scenarios and the play is running right, what are the first steps of the covered man
...........V
.....O...O

and the frontside lineman? Does he just perform a down block?
.........V
......O...O

I assume the BSOL makes his usual step to the right with his playside foot then steps into the defender with his left foot.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
Re: Blocking a gap vs. a man head up
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »
If I have the following scenarios and the play is running right, what are the first steps of the covered man
...........V
.....O...O

.........V
......O...O

I assume the BSOL makes his usual step to the right with his playside foot then steps into the defender with his left foot.

Depends on the play is this a DT or DE.  IZ or OZ

If your marrying up for the combination then both take half the gapped man and drive verticle, reading the LB's.  If you're going outside then my take is that this will be an on block fo the Covered while the uncovered slide steps to the gap in an effort to meet up. However,if the the BAD HAT goes away the uncovered man goes to the second level. 
You can indeed try to pull and replace the covered man but thats very difficult to pull off at the youth level as it takes a ton of reps to do so well.

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

CoachKell

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:18:58 PM »

...........V
.....O...O

Depends if it's IZ or OZ

For the sake of the discussion lets say we're runing IZ to our right

If the play is going to his right he's going to take a 6 in lead step with his play side foot aiming his nose for the playside armpit of the defender, he will VIOLENTLY punch his inside hand into the sternum his other hand comes up under the "wing" of the shoulder pad and grabs....he takes the outside half of his man

The uncovered defender will take the same steps but aims his nose at the middle of the defender and will punch his outside hand VIOLENTLY into the sternum , same as the blocker above

Both look down the side of the defender looking for a secondary defender to show to their side.

If they must leave their block to take on another defender, they shove the defender over to their partner 

.........V
......O...O

No we never down block on zone, depending on what the front looks like and like Coach Shad said, what play you are actually running.

If he is aligned on the inside shoulder of the blocker on the right the blocker willrip through the outside shoulder of the man on his inside shoulder before climbing to the second level defender... Now this is IF and ONLY If there is no defender on the LOS immdeiately to the playside

He will execute the same step he always does, if there's no one on the LOS, to the play side he will climb to the next level

Now if we were running OZ to our right, the covered blocker will execute the same initial step however the inside blocker will "slip" or rip inside out and attempt t establish himself face to face with a defender ... the outside glocker will do the same but will attempt to "hold up" the defender long enough for the inside lineman to get into position

Hope that helps

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:33:22 AM »
Can someone tell me if this would work as an IZ to the right or not?

...................S
...................B.............B..C
..C...E....V..V...V..V....E
X.........T..G..C..G..T.....Y
.........................F.............Z
....................Q
...............H

BST & BSG reach
C and PSG combo on A gap defender to LB
F & PST combo B gap defender
Z can motion back into pitch position or track block between RT and Y

or maybe because of the angles, C & F combo on A gap and G & T combo B gap?

And could this also work as a dive or veer with H on other side of QB?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:36:02 AM by Vince148 »

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:17:09 PM »
Can someone tell me if this would work as an IZ to the right or not?

...................S
...................B.............B..C
..C...E....V..V...V..V....E
X.........T..G..C..G..T.....Y
.........................F.............Z
....................Q
...............H

BST & BSG reach
C and PSG combo on A gap defender to LB
F & PST combo B gap defender
Z can motion back into pitch position or track block between RT and Y

or maybe because of the angles, C & F combo on A gap and G & T combo B gap?

And could this also work as a dive or veer with H on other side of QB?
My understanding of that drawing is absolutely not, the defense is stacked inside. you are attacking a walled fortress.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:22:52 PM »
My understanding of that drawing is absolutely not, the defense is stacked inside. you are attacking a walled fortress.
Even with two doubleteams at the POA?

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 08:57:32 PM »
Even with two doubleteams at the POA?
where is the IZ play suppose to hit? You are running right into the teeth of the defense. OZ would work and i would suggest.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 07:44:27 PM »
So if i face a gapped front like a gap 8 evereyone is just getting the first man playside so on oz vs this frint theres no double teams?
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
In the perfect world like Z suggests there is not cracks to be made or opened running inside zone against this defensive alignment.  Essentially you running into the strength of the defense and will have to out muscle them to get any where.  That is not the philosophy behind zone blocking.  Yes OZ is a better call as your now seeking to move the Defense laterally and either outflank them or create seams for the backs to run through as this particular front unravels to chase the ball.  A fighting chance for IZ would be left, sans the cutback!!

jmho

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 09:39:39 PM »
But in outside zone im correct there wouldnt be double teams?

Also how do you add fold blocking into zone, i see indi colts do it often

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 01:14:50 AM »
But in outside zone im correct there wouldnt be double teams?

Also how do you add fold blocking into zone, i see indi colts do it often
indy is running pin pull. what they will do is swap two blockers assignments.
So...if you have a wide 3 and a tackle bubble.....
the tackle would block down on the 3 tech...and the guard would essentially read the te's block..... its even more on on one blocking and the back is going to east and west for my liking.that being said, I like how usc does their version of pin pull, I dont know the details but they seem to get north and south a little more.....
OZ does get Double teams... OR combinations but they come off quickly for the linebacker pending how the down linemen plays.
If you have a 9 tech and by alignment, yes their are defenses where a 9 tech does not have contain, has contain, no need to double him, because the back is going to read the next down linemen inside.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »
Grear insight! Im being an ac to a freind of mine next fall and he runs a lot of single back with OIL blocking , not a fan i toldem i wanted to zone it. So teach me lol what resources should i look into

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
Grear insight! Im being an ac to a freind of mine next fall and he runs a lot of single back with OIL blocking , not a fan i toldem i wanted to zone it. So teach me lol what resources should i look into
get the cool clinic tapes 1 year at a time....there is so much information in just 1 years clinic that its enough to hold you over for a while....just for clarification, its not about agreeing with them or running what they run...it really isnt. But they give an idea of how they do things, things that might fit into your idea, regardless of level...Might not. Then If I was you, I would go to F&F football sight.....find a dark hole with a flash light, open those playbooks up and take the time to study them......a couple of them give you info that is otherwise not found anywhere I know of on the net....like 2,3, and 4 man zones.......
that is how I learned what I know........that and I dropped any personal like, dislike of coaches....cause it has nothing to do with football.
AND OIL makes much more sense than god......
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 10:06:36 AM by zoezachary »

Offline CoachRCPT

• Copper
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 01:36:32 PM »

If you get that front, audible to OZ and it has the potential to go big.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »
If you get that front, audible to OZ and it has the potential to go big.

Coach asking a 12 year old to Audible is asking a lot.  Not to mention that the WHOLE TEAM has to be on board.  I have a system of "Checks" for the QB.  These "Checks" were very simple and did not change the play. Even though we practiced it every O session, I still had plenty of mistakes.