Author Topic: Lineman traits  (Read 1986 times)

Offline CoachMattColorado

• Copper
  • One Team One Fight
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Single Wing
Lineman traits
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:23:49 AM »
Starting to look like our 12 year old team is going to be very shy on size for the O-Line. Have a couple of medium size kids with good feet who are agressive. Am interested in some thoughts on where best to put kids along the line. For instance, Center has to be smart,agressive and tough. What are some traits you look for in other positions?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
Re: Lineman traits
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »
Matt so much of the answer to that question is based on the type of running you plan to do.

If you plan to run off tackle, trap, and pull, then I personally want Bigs at Tackle and FB types at Guard. Smaller, faster, they are going to get the angles to make their blocks more effective.  If you're a midline type of team, then I want the Bigs a Guard because I want them to be able to stick their feet in the ground and not be driven back.  If you run a Wedge then you simply want kids that can mesh well, as its all about numbers pushing them off the ball.   

If I am really uncertain I want a decent center and then my two best blockers on one side or the other and I will flip the line to match the plays.  I don't care much for this option but I know it works and if thats what I have to do I'll do it.  Lately when faced with a size dilemma I teach half man concepts since obviously I cant ask a kid whose grossly outweighed to drive block and be successful at it.  All I ask for is for them to attack half the man and turn their arses to the hole.  Two Butts in the Hole.   8)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »
I don't differentiate. I like lean and nasty everywhere.  You don't have to drive the guy, but you better occupy him until the ball is through.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:17:23 AM »
I probably should have see the topic (Zone).  As long as you can teach the concept to account for everyone Zone is a great way to block with smaller kids.  As Kell pointed out, I would look at Zoning across the entire line rather than trying to decide IZ or OZ.  In this case that means the traits I want most are quickness and good footwork.

What that means in general is that the uncovered man will step in the direction of the play regardless of what side of the ball he is on. At least now, theoretically, you are getting the combination blocks that Zone schemes look for.

:D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:20:13 AM by CoachShad »
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
Starting to look like our 12 year old team is going to be very shy on size for the O-Line. Have a couple of medium size kids with good feet who are agressive. Am interested in some thoughts on where best to put kids along the line. For instance, Center has to be smart,agressive and tough. What are some traits you look for in other positions?
are they athletes?just my two cents, size is overrated, way overrated. do your linemen have quick feet, can they run, good hips,?
if they dont have that, I dont care how big they are.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 07:37:32 PM by zoezachary »
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 07:35:27 PM »
A friend of mine who's a DC now at the D1 level once said, put your best players in the middle of the field.  I tend to think that can be applied to the offensive side of the ball as well.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Offline Crew Coach 70

• Copper
  • Excellence without Entitlement
    • The Texas Mayhem
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »
Matt, there are a lot of variables, but for us, it's affinity for contact first, then good feet, and size third, and of course ideally, you want all three.  We have a couple of really big boys on our team and it took us 2 seasons to get them to play aggresively.  Big kids are taught from an early age to "be gentle" and "play nice" and that early conditioning takes awhile to overcome.  Regardless, choose an offense that can  best utilize your quickness and speed.  Good luck!
Mark
Regards
Mark Topping
Mayhem Footba