Author Topic: speaking of zone blocking  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
speaking of zone blocking
« on: July 02, 2011, 05:51:18 PM »
does or has anybody ever heard the phrase:  the denver step?
I know the NFL is despised for the most which is fine with me, but I was watching what I consider to be the cool clinic presentation ever, and Mcnally threw this out their. I know it refers to their zone blocking, but I wondering if anybody had any insight on it. thanks for thelp.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
Re: speaking of zone blocking
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 03:04:57 AM »
To my knowledge and understanding the Denver stretch offense utilized the concept of stretching the defense laterally to open holes or seams along the front.  Stepping off at a 45 degree angle the line.  The C, G, T, and TE, playside could move the defense laterally while the backside G and T or C , G, and T cut blocked to open the cut back lanes.  Hence the Denver Step could be nothing more than the initial 45 degree step and continuation.  Denver just made it look easy!!  LOL

Shanny had a different Idea about the OL position he went against the norm of finding behemoths to simply over power you.  Rather he used smaller faster linemen to simply out quick and get under you.  Recall not that long ago when Green Bay went to the Stretch Running game ala Denver.  The first year or two was very iffy at best as the power guys they had on the LOS were not adept at getting off and in front of the call side defenders and were very poor at the backside cuts for the same reason.  I can still remember seeing the backside OT on several occasions executing what I call the fall at their feet blocks simply because they weren't agile enough to get off in front for the cut. 

Indy does almost the same thing except thy like to Pin the EMOLOS and pull around him.  Their OL is also small and agile by comparison.   

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 03:43:26 AM »
To my knowledge and understanding the Denver stretch offense utilized the concept of stretching the defense laterally to open holes or seams along the front.  Stepping off at a 45 degree angle the line.  The C, G, T, and TE, playside could move the defense laterally while the backside G and T or C , G, and T cut blocked to open the cut back lanes.  Hence the Denver Step could be nothing more than the initial 45 degree step and continuation.  Denver just made it look easy!!  LOL

Shanny had a different Idea about the OL position he went against the norm of finding behemoths to simply over power you.  Rather he used smaller faster linemen to simply out quick and get under you.  Recall not that long ago when Green Bay went to the Stretch Running game ala Denver.  The first year or two was very iffy at best as the power guys they had on the LOS were not adept at getting off and in front of the call side defenders and were very poor at the backside cuts for the same reason.  I can still remember seeing the backside OT on several occasions executing what I call the fall at their feet blocks simply because they weren't agile enough to get off in front for the cut. 

Indy does almost the same thing except thy like to Pin the EMOLOS and pull around him.  Their OL is also small and agile by comparison.   
Indy is very different. mcnally, gibbs, and  mudd will tell you that. I know that gibbs wants the covered linemen on the outside half. a 45 degree step will get you beat.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

coach msl

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:29:15 AM »
Indy is very different. mcnally, gibbs, and  mudd will tell you that. I know that gibbs wants the covered linemen on the outside half. a 45 degree step will get you beat.

Depending on DLM alignment, there are times when a 45 degree angle is perfectly acceptable.  So, what exactly is this Denver step?  This post will be trash unless you answer your own question, right Zoe.  lol

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
Enlighten me as well please. 

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
McNally steps to depth.  I can find out about the "Denver step."  I'm just not sure yet if it's worth bringing up.  I like to pick my spots with those kinds of questions.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
The general premise of the stretch offense is to account for an area.  It seeks to move the defense both laterally and horizontally to open up lanes for the backs regardless of where they occur.  Hence they can be broken down into simple right and left calls.  Shanny and staff were masters at finding linemen who were very quick and athletic noting that they used ANGLES, rather than size to overcome the defense (this sound familiar to the DWers here).  Hence the reason that they liked to use the angle step to begin the charge you can still account for the gaps knowing full well that the RB may or may not follow.  So to did they accomplish finding any number of backs who fit this coast, look, then burn process.     

The angle step is part of Zone blocking if one remembers that Zone blocking does not always account for a double team block.  Denver did not invent Zone but for a long while they executed extremely well.  Well enough to have the term Denver Stretch Offense associated with it. 

jmo
 ;)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:25:27 PM »
Depending on DLM alignment, there are times when a 45 degree angle is perfectly acceptable.  So, what exactly is this Denver step?  This post will be trash unless you answer your own question, right Zoe.  lol
if I knew the answer? i would post it......

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
Z

Never heard the term...and I live in Denver.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »
In Denver, it's just called a step, I guess.

Like in China, Chinese food is just food.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »
Z

Never heard the term...and I live in Denver.
I dont think its a term the average fan will hear...not something you will hear on sports talk radio...
I am pretty sure if I watch the tape again, I will see it, but I just havent had time.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
Z

Living in Denver inspired me to pay attention and why I am a youth zone coach. Still never heard the term.

The Denver Boot is pretty famous....but not in a good way.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 01:00:45 PM »
Z

Living in Denver inspired me to pay attention and why I am a youth zone coach. Still never heard the term.

The Denver Boot is pretty famous....but not in a good way.
I dont think you will ever hear the term, It maybe a moniker given to that style of zone by mcnally. I dont know though.

Offline COACH MIKE POPE

• Copper
  • "QUIT TALKIN'......LET'S PLAY BALL!"
    • www.hawgtuff.net
  • Coaching: College
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:00:49 AM »
THE DENVER STEP IS THE STEP USED BY ALEX GIBBS ON HIS ZONE BLOCKING STEPS.  IT IS A SLIGHT DROP ANGLE STEP PROBABLY  AROUND 4-6 INCHES USED BY THE UNCOVERED LINEMEN.  WE USE IT INSTEAD OF A BUCKET STEP.  IT IS CLOSER TO A SLIDE STEP RATHER THAN A BUCKET.   I ONLY  TRULY BUCKET STEP WHEN MY OT IS UNCOVERED ON THE OUTSIDE ZONE TO GIVE HIM MORE ROOM AND TIME TO READ THE BLOCK OF THE TE ON  THE DE OR OLB.  ALEX GIBBS DID NOT LIKE THE BUCKET STEP BECAUSE HE FELT  IT WAS LIKE RETREATING AND HE WANTED HIS OLINEMEN TO ALWAYS  BE ON THE ATTACK.
GO TO www.hawgtuff.net FOR SOME GREAT FOOTBALL INFORMATION!