Author Topic: IZ vs Gap defense  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
IZ vs Gap defense
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
I've been working on my "o" and wanted some type of a weakside belly play, with a possible counter. I've been looking at Lombardi's slant and veer play. The veer play is a type of zone play that creates multiple holes.

I know that we have discussed that OZ would be better against a gap defense, but after playing around with some things, I came up with this idea and thought that it might make a good possible counter to an OS belly type play...

...............S
..C.........................................C
.....................B..............B
....E.........V..V..V..V.....E
.......TE..T..G..C..g..t.......X
...............F............................WB
.....................Q
..................H

G & C can combo the A gap defender up to the LB
T & F can combo the B gap defender
TE on the wide DE
g & t are essentially reach blocking
H gets handoff and heads toward the 3 hole with possible cutback over the C and even staying outside at the 5 hole.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:50:20 AM by Vince148 »

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Re: IZ vs Gap defense
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »
I've been working on my "o" and wanted some type of a weakside belly play, with a possible counter. I've been looking at Lombardi's slant and veer play. The veer play is a type of zone play that creates multiple holes.

I know that we have discussed that OZ would be better against a gap defense, but after playing around with some things, I came up with this idea and thought that it might make a good possible counter to an OS belly type play...

...............S
..C.........................................C
.....................B..............B
....E.........V..V..V..V.....E
.......TE..T..G..C..g..t.......X
...............F............................WB
.....................Q
..................H

G & C can combo the A gap defender up to the LB
T & F can combo the B gap defender
TE on the wide DE
g & t are essentially reach blocking
H gets handoff and heads toward the 3 hole with possible cutback over the C and even staying outside at the 5 hole.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
if you just reach the end with  the te? the end cannot be right......the end goes inside the back and fullback go outside. The end goes outside the back and fullback goes inside..... stop being afraid of the oz play.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
if you just reach the end with  the te? the end cannot be right......the end goes inside the back and fullback go outside. The end goes outside the back and fullback goes inside..... stop being afraid of the oz play.
It's not that I'm afraid of the OZ play; it's just that between sweeps and options, I have plenty of outside plays.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »
It's not that I'm afraid of the OZ play; it's just that between sweeps and options, I have plenty of outside plays.
Then run those plays!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the plays dont matter as you already have your plays apparently. you have to force the team to adjust. If you allow them to stay in one defense and not pay it? ITS YOUR FAULT as a play caller. I would remind you that oz is not a sweep, it is a legit off tackle play.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 12:55:01 PM »
I would agree here.  OZ is being given then OZ should be run.  With IZ you are gambling as they have the gaps covered. FB is not going to make it in time to combo with anyone.  I reiterate that ZONE Blocking DOES NOT guarantee a double team for everyone every play.  Very often you will have a one on one block in this case you have two.

The Weak Side Play using Zone is CG on A and Tackle blocks down on DT and TE kicks out End.  You can lead with the FB and put the HB mano e mano with the Safety  or Corner.  I'll take this play every down.

If you dont like that then send the Tackle to the Backer and block the DT with FB,

jmho
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:12:37 PM by CoachShad »
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 01:29:32 PM »
I reiterate that ZONE Blocking DOES NOT guarantee a double team for everyone every play.  Very often you will have a one one one block in this case you have two.
I agree, but it seems to me that changing alignment and tweaking the rules for certain formations can create double team situations where none may have existed prior. 

The Weak Side Play using Zone is CG on A and Tackle blocks down on DT and TE kicks out End.  You can lead with the FB and put the HB mano e mano with the Safety  or Corner.  I'll take this play every down.

If you dont like that then send the Tackle to the Backer and block the DT with FB
Actually, what I am going to do for the outside is have G &T double team the B gap defender, F kick out DE and TE take the LB. That will give me the OS belly/slant action that I want to create.

But as I said, I was also looking for an inside play that could be used as a counter for this.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:59:21 PM »
I agree, but it seems to me that changing alignment and tweaking the rules for certain formations can create double team situations where none may have existed prior. 
Actually, what I am going to do for the outside is have G &T double team the B gap defender, F kick out DE and TE take the LB. That will give me the OS belly/slant action that I want to create.

But as I said, I was also looking for an inside play that could be used as a counter for this.
what if you dont get the look you are looking for?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 04:32:14 PM »
The fact that you are in Shot Gun takes away any opportunity for a "quick hitter" inside.  The Fact that the defense has the inside gaps covered makes running inside very difficult.  It would be very much like driving a round peg in a square hole.  The opportunities to run are presented outside the guards on both sides.  The only opportunity to "Counter" would be to use Down Blocks going left and a Long Trap by the LOT on the RDE. 

Personally the only way I could see this happen is to delay the FB and have the QB fake a toss to the HB and hand back to the FB following the LOT. 

Problems:
X is a mismatch to block LB.  Swap X and WB and you stand a better chance.

Like Zoe and I have been trying to say, this Defense does not set up for IZ.  Round peg square hole.

jmho ;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline coachJR

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 03:27:49 PM »
The fact that you are in Shot Gun takes away any opportunity for a "quick hitter" inside.  The Fact that the defense has the inside gaps covered makes running inside very difficult.  It would be very much like driving a round peg in a square hole.  The opportunities to run are presented outside the guards on both sides.  The only opportunity to "Counter" would be to use Down Blocks going left and a Long Trap by the LOT on the RDE. 

Personally the only way I could see this happen is to delay the FB and have the QB fake a toss to the HB and hand back to the FB following the LOT. 

Problems:
X is a mismatch to block LB.  Swap X and WB and you stand a better chance.

Like Zoe and I have been trying to say, this Defense does not set up for IZ.  Round peg square hole.

jmho ;)

Zone...different ways to skin a cat, BUT you're T is down blocking his inside gap.  That's not REALLY zone.  If you want an inside play, why not long trap that B gap defender, and block back with the G, and C?
"Hindsight is 50/50."

Patrick Fain Dye

Coaching HS now.  We run DW from the shotgun spread, and 3-4 Defense.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
If you want an inside play, why not long trap that B gap defender, and block back with the G, and C?
Actually, that's pretty much what I've decided to do.