Author Topic: zone blocking vs rule blocking  (Read 7364 times)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: zone blocking vs rule blocking
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 12:52:57 PM »
Mike - I agree.  Anybody that thinks zone is "grab & hold" has never had two O-Linermen cock their elbows back on the first step, &  PUNCH them in the ribs or chest with FOUR FISTS on the second step.  If they DID - they would "crap their pants"!  That's TODAY'S football.

Bill

The team I coached last year couldn’t punch their way out of a wet paper sack.

This year Im handing out t-shirts. Each week they don’t ramp it up and get some attitude they must wear team to practice. Once they are full of so much piss and vinigar and hating my guts…we will have a t-shirt cutting ceremony with extra large Dairy Queen Blizzards all around.

IM A JUNKTAD DOG
         AND
I PUNCH LIKE A GIRL

Im sure none of them want the honor of wearing that past week one.

Coach Mike. 
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 12:59:52 PM »
Bill

The team I coached last year couldn’t punch their way out of a wet paper sack.

This year Im handing out t-shirts. Each week they don’t ramp it up and get some attitude they must wear team to practice. Once they are full of so much piss and vinigar and hating my guts…we will have a t-shirt cutting ceremony with extra large Dairy Queen Blizzards all around.

IM A JUNKTAD DOG
         AND
I PUNCH LIKE A GIRL

Im sure none of them want the honor of wearing that past week one.

Coach Mike.

Not every kid I ever coached could punch either when we got them.  Every "TIMID" kid we ever got PREFERED hands to shoulders because that made it harder for DLM to "punch them in the MOUTH" (BECAUSE the face was behind the hands, RATHER than in front of the shoulders).  We work on that more than ANY other O-Line skill.

1. - use the TECHNIQUE (ATTACHED).

2.  Begin with THESE drills - before going LIVE:

“PUNCH DRILL” = Teaches man how to roll hips, get under target, & deliver blow.  Vs. shield, get man in football position – move feet (not a chop) with just bounce movement – step & hit UP – roll hips & hit up thru target.  Step & deliver 10 right & 10 left.

“2 MAN BULL SLED DRILL”  = Teach how to be explosive.  2 step blow delivery (don’t drive the sled after second step).  Parallel stance – frontal position – step – blow delivery.  OVER EXAGGERAGE use of fists or heels of hands (with thumbs on top) by taking first directional step & second step is 100% BLOW DELIVERY – throw arms out of sockets on first step (wind up with elbows back for good arm thrust) – second step hit & lift sled up in air.

ATTACHMENT:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:17:12 PM by BillMountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline morris

• Gold
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Title: Other
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
One of the things with the term Zone is that there is a number of different ways to run Zone.  Some teams double the down man until a LB shows.  Some get on tracks and get what gets to them.  That is being overly simplistic but I think you get the point.  Its all about what you can teach, troubleshoot and what the kids can learn.

I do disagree that you need big strong OL to run zone.  I honestly think you need an OL with some athletic ability to do it. 

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 08:10:07 PM »
One of the things with the term Zone is that there is a number of different ways to run Zone.  Some teams double the down man until a LB shows.  Some get on tracks and get what gets to them.  That is being overly simplistic but I think you get the point.  Its all about what you can teach, troubleshoot and what the kids can learn.

I do disagree that you need big strong OL to run zone.  I honestly think you need an OL with some athletic ability to do it.

Agree with EVERYTHING you said! 

PS:  You ALWAYS need some "athleticism", but in ZONE blocking - those who lack it at LEAST get some help!
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 12:10:02 PM »

...and the reason I think I failed last year. Lesson re-learned...play some athletes on the line even if smallish and the big heavys can play d-line.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »
...and the reason I think I failed last year. Lesson re-learned...play some athletes on the line even if smallish and the big heavys can play d-line.

Coach Mike

CORRECT!