Author Topic: Creating a "zone ace back"  (Read 7063 times)

Offline 33coach

• Copper
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Coordinator
Creating a "zone ace back"
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »
alot of wing teams and other types of 3 back teams will say that it is almost impossible to run one back schemes EVERY year.
im wondering.
how hard is it actually to create a GOOD zone ace back from near nothing. take the average joe and train him (in one season) to become a good ace back.?
STC & TEs coach - Mission Prep HS
Newly Converted member to the Church of Saint Tubby

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Creating a "zone ace back"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 03:49:12 PM »
Well...I have only run ace back zone one season but it was a good one.

I can say that it is easier to find and train the back over finding and training the o-line.

I dont like the ace back stuff at the youth level...a little varity for the kids must be in order and why Clark runs the wing t. Different kids getting lots of touches. I would presume thats why others run the DW and SW too.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:20:55 PM »
alot of wing teams and other types of 3 back teams will say that it is almost impossible to run one back schemes EVERY year.
im wondering.
how hard is it actually to create a GOOD zone ace back from near nothing. take the average joe and train him (in one season) to become a good ace back.?

It's HARDER to run "3 backs", because how many people have three good ones  (PLUS some backups)?   In ACEBACK you need only one back & a backup.  Okie Dog Pinch defenses ran 3 back offenses into oblivion!

I've run "ZONE ACEBACK" since 1981, & they have been the BEST & most productive years of a coaching career that goes back to 1960!!!

READ ATTACHMENT:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:39:02 PM by BillMountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

CoachKell

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:33:14 PM »
Well...I have only run ace back zone one season but it was a good one.

I can say that it is easier to find and train the back over finding and training the o-line.

I dont like the ace back stuff at the youth level...a little varity for the kids must be in order and why Clark runs the wing t. Different kids getting lots of touches. I would presume thats why others run the DW and SW too.

Coach Mike

That was actually part of our problem last year, we had too many kids that wanted the ball, they quit when I picked my backfield and made them linemen. 

This year they'll be told we only have 1 back on the field. ( we're running ace ourselves)   If they want the ball, they're going to have to get open and catch it. 

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:10:13 AM »
That was actually part of our problem last year, we had too many kids that wanted the ball, they quit when I picked my backfield and made them linemen. 

This year they'll be told we only have 1 back on the field. ( we're running ace ourselves)   If they want the ball, they're going to have to get open and catch it.

Interesting.

Coach Mike

CoachKell

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 05:43:15 AM »
It was also made worse by running option, because when I did put one of them back there, there was no guarantee they were going to get the ball either. 

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 10:33:34 AM »
It was also made worse by running option, because when I did put one of them back there, there was no guarantee they were going to get the ball either.

There is no "democracy" in football - if it was, a vote would be taken in the huddle before EACH play to determine WHO gets to run the ball!  Beauty of "Oneback" is that the BEST one gets to carry. 

Follow the following "principles" in an ACEBACK set:

4 “MUST DO’S” OF THE ONEBACK OFFENSE

#1 = DO RUN AS OFTEN TO THE SPLIT END SIDE AS THE TIGHT END SIDE.

#2 = DO RUN AS OFTEN AWAY FROM MOTION AS YOU DO TO THE MOTION SIDE.

#3 = DO PASS AS OFTEN AWAY FROM THE SIDE THE RB “CHECKS” AS YOU DO TO THE SIDE HE “CHECKS”.

#4 = DO RUN AS OFTEN AWAY FROM SIDE RB TAKES HIS FIRST STEP TO (ON POWER/COUNTER/H-AROUND) ETC., AS YOU DO TO THE SIDE OF HIS FIRST STEP.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 10:36:06 AM by BillMountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:44:22 AM »
There is no "democracy" in football - if it was, a vote would be taken in the huddle before EACH play to determine WHO gets to run the ball!  Beauty of "Oneback" is that the BEST one gets to carry. 

Follow the following "principles" in an ACEBACK set:

4 “MUST DO’S” OF THE ONEBACK OFFENSE

#1 = DO RUN AS OFTEN TO THE SPLIT END SIDE AS THE TIGHT END SIDE.

#2 = DO RUN AS OFTEN AWAY FROM MOTION AS YOU DO TO THE MOTION SIDE.

#3 = DO PASS AS OFTEN AWAY FROM THE SIDE THE RB “CHECKS” AS YOU DO TO THE SIDE HE “CHECKS”.

#4 = DO RUN AS OFTEN AWAY FROM SIDE RB TAKES HIS FIRST STEP TO (ON POWER/COUNTER/H-AROUND) ETC., AS YOU DO TO THE SIDE OF HIS FIRST STEP.

Bill

There has to be some democracy until the kids learn what a dictatorship really means.

I can’t see how feeding the same third grader the football for up to 11 games in a season would garner any real fun for the kids…well except the ace back of course.

Its an important part of our job as smurfie smurf coaches to get these kids to love the game…and really…how many of them have an Anthony Munoz poster on their wall. You can start getting serious with your approach when they hit MS age but elementary level…spread the fun around. Otherwise they will all want to play defense before long…or opt for the draft because the Header's kid gets all the love. 

Coach Mike

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 11:45:51 AM »

Rich

I rarely have that selfish problem being in an unlimited weight league.

My 220# 7th grade center that is so slow I never even bothered to time him in the 27-yard dash…was never considered in the backfield.

Since we had a very uninspiring year…maybe I should have.

Coach Mike

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 11:55:44 AM »
Bill

There has to be some democracy until the kids learn what a dictatorship really means.

I can’t see how feeding the same third grader the football for up to 11 games in a season would garner any real fun for the kids…well except the ace back of course.

Its an important part of our job as smurfie smurf coaches to get these kids to love the game…and really…how many of them have an Anthony Munoz poster on their wall. You can start getting serious with your approach when they hit MS age but elementary level…spread the fun around. Otherwise they will all want to play defense before long…or opt for the draft because the Header's kid gets all the love. 

Coach Mike

Mike - having been a Political Science teacher in both High School, I left "Democracy" in the classroom.  I've coached kids as young as 8, & you CAN be a "benevolent dictator" with kids THAT age!  I have never seen a good program in which the HFC didn't have have total control.

Just like being in the Marines - that's NO "democracy"!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:53:39 PM by BillMountjoy »

CoachKell

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 12:26:20 PM »
Rich

I rarely have that selfish problem being in an unlimited weight league.

My 220# 7th grade center that is so slow I never even bothered to time him in the 27-yard dash…was never considered in the backfield.

Since we had a very uninspiring year…maybe I should have.

Coach Mike

Yeah Mike me either, but this last group was REALLY bad.  This team was made up of so many wrong things, it was like Frankenstein. There were remnants of the team I took to the championship back in 06, who I think felt it was their last chance to shine, 1st time kids that have never played before starting out at 14yo, 2nd year players, and kids with weird home dynamics. 

Remember, this group ran off 2 HC's  ( and an assistant). Hell I almost walked  2 seasons ago.   The former HC of the team I run now said publicly before that he "didn't want to put up with that $hit".  I went into it thinking I was going to put my foot in their ass...they turned the tables on me and quit!

Thank god that's over.....I hope

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »
I've always thought the following article is a "good start" to installing a "zone aceback set".  He is talking about featuring the Inside Zone (AKA: 24 Belly), with the Counter OFF of it  (16 Counter).  Also a simple 3 step passing game!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 07:43:15 PM by BillMountjoy »

CoachKell

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 07:04:35 AM »
I've always thought the following article is a "good start" to installing a "zone aceback set".  He is talking about featuring the Inside Zone (AKA: 24 Belly), with the Counter OFF of it  (16 Counter).  Also a simple 3 step passing game!

Bill I gotta tell you,  I collected playbooks for years, I meet you, and ina few months you've given me more stuff than I had with all my other materials combined......thank you very much

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »
Bill I gotta tell you,  I collected playbooks for years, I meet you, and ina few months you've given me more stuff than I had with all my other materials combined......thank you very much

Thank you!  Just hope it helps!

CoachKell

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 04:39:42 PM »
I'm sure it will