Author Topic: Mahonz OZ Help  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Coogcoach

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Multiple
Mahonz OZ Help
« on: August 17, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
In your OZ PDF would a PST blocking OZ push a 9 tech into the path of the runner? Or is there a different technique?

We are spread team running twins running offtackle after a mesh look between QB/RB.
We will do what we do, better than they do what they do!!!!

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Mahonz OZ Help
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 06:51:49 PM »
In your OZ PDF would a PST blocking OZ push a 9 tech into the path of the runner? Or is there a different technique?

We are spread team running twins running offtackle after a mesh look between QB/RB.

C

Whoops...just responded to your email....sorry....scratch that....I will work things up for you here. Read read is a different animal altogether.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Coogcoach

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »
Sorry bout hitting you from 2 angles, wasn't sure if the mail went thru, did not show me that it did.

In any case, thanks for the help.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:13:02 PM »
Coog

My thoughts on the Read Read mesh at the youth level with zone blocking out of the gun 2x2.

Generally speaking….this is not a great idea at the youth levels.

Jack Gregory pulled it off with a Spring League team a few years back…we gave it a go and dumped the idea in one week of pre season. Never made it to a game. 

Yes it seems that half the colleges now run this style of offense….and very well I might add while I yell at the TV for the defenses to walk an OLB up and kill that entire offense.

We ran this one year with the semi pros but ran it Utah / Wake Forrest style with an slot orbiting behind the mesh for the QB option or that slot dropping and getting into an option relationship. This worked very well. Straight up IZ / OZ zone ala Oregon….not a chance. The best team in that league has run a 52 monster for 25 years and destroyed the read read base.

The reason the college teams run this is because every play is a dual threat….run pass. Defenses have to play at least a cover 2. So they run 30 and 40 fronts. How often will you see this at the youth level? Once…maybe twice? Too much of a gamble the rest of the time IMO.

Here is why. The read read is requiring the QB to read the backside edge defender. If he crashes….the QB keeps….if he contains the QB gives. Perfect until you see a 50 front. Now per the zone rules you may have a DE and a DT unblocked backside with an unblocked DE front side. So what to do? If a DC had the players to run a 60 front….there is absolutely nothing you can do….your offense is done unless your get creative and add option or can pass like the Indy Colts.

The 50 front is common enough that we dumped the idea of a read read out of the 2x2.

But what if your 2x2 included at TE and the back is going towards the TE every time.

Now you have something. The TE can ride the DE up field.

Take a look at the attached slides and you will see what I mean. With a TE you are back in business but will have to train your BSOT to never let that DT in. If that DT crashes and the DE contains your play is done. But if the DT is blocked then the QB has his read back. If that BSDT aligns as a 3…he is blocked….as a 4 he is sifted and slowed down…as a 5…then the OT has to break his normal zone rule and still block him because that DT will get wise and crash on the TB give....taking your play away again.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:29:07 PM by mahonz »

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:16 PM »
Coog

Dont know if this fits your thinking but you can really amp things up and add a little somethin' somethin' for your opponents to think about...if you have the QB.

If you ran a 3x1 and did these actions…..and got good at running option….really tough on any defense. You could run these actions the entire game and only pitch a few times. It keeps the defense off your read read base. They have no choice.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 12:48:14 PM by mahonz »

Offline Coogcoach

• Copper
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »
I do have a set that would work with the trips look.

We also have a shift called Deuce/Dice where slot come back to align opposite our Rb and we have a 2 back set with twins to one side and single wr to the other.

We like to run trap to the single side and option the wr away from trap. Any thoughts on using OZ with that formation?

WR........................T...G...C...G...T.................S.................WR

.......................................Q
.................................S..........RB

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
I do have a set that would work with the trips look.

We also have a shift called Deuce/Dice where slot come back to align opposite our Rb and we have a 2 back set with twins to one side and single wr to the other.

We like to run trap to the single side and option the wr away from trap. Any thoughts on using OZ with that formation?

WR........................T...G...C...G...T.................S.................WR

.......................................Q
.................................S..........RB

C

Sure ! Just like in my email....the Slot now playing as a back would fill the TE's rules.

That would be just fine. Now the PSOT can do his thing as he has the key block.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 03:53:01 PM by mahonz »

Offline Coogcoach

• Copper
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:16:58 PM »
Ok sounds good! Now what are your thoughts on Stretch out of a 2 x 2 set?

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »
Ok sounds good! Now what are your thoughts on Stretch out of a 2 x 2 set?

Coog

Im confused....OZ for me is the classic stretch play that we just discussed....can you describe what you mean?