Author Topic: How long does it take to implement zone blocking well  (Read 1579 times)

Offline danoconnl

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 5-2
  • Offense: Multiple
How long does it take to implement zone blocking well
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »
We're two weeks into practice, with 3-4 weeks until our first game of a 7 game season and playoffs.
I'm intrigued by adding zone blocking to our draws and traps, but I wonder about the amount of time it takes to implement and if I might be biting off more that I care to chew.  I'm the OC, not the line coach, so I'm also trying to get a feel from those who have done it before on the commitment and practice time it takes to implement it well, and will I be mucking up the mix by adding to our draws and traps. ie Are you a zone team or not a zone team and trying to be a mixture is a recipe for disaster?

I'm not looking to have it for week 1 of the season, but I would like to have the option when we get to week 5/6/7 and the playoffs.

Looking for any thoughts and assistance.

Dan
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: How long does it take to implement zone blocking well
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 10:53:59 AM »
Dan

Base Formation? Age group? Scrimmage time before game one?
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline danoconnl

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 5-2
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
sorry, 12U, base formation is spread, we'll practice 2-3 times a week.  I'm not looking to have this week 1(week after Labor Day), but by the middle of the season if possible.
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious. - Vince Lombardi

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 12:20:36 PM »
Dan

Im thinking you have Missouri on the brain here. Check this thread out.

http://www.dumcoach.com/index.php/topic,4999.0.html

As far as teaching zone...what I accidentally discovered is that I had more time during practice to work with the kids because I didnt have to teach them fronts. It is what it is. The hardest part is teaching them when to combo and when to climb off that combo....if ever.

You have plenty of time but it requires game day experiences and why I asked about scrimmage time. You will have both linemen climb immediately  leaving your back to get crushed….and you will have linemen stay on their combos and never climb….leaving a big gain on the field.

SO….you MUST start 5 linemen in the same positions all season long. They have got to get a feel for one another. Zone is all about reacting to the defense after the snap and then getting a feel for how they are attacking the offense.

Regardless....once they dial in as a 5 man unit....ITS ON.

My concern is that you have Missouri on the brain....so let me know what you think about Coogs situation.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:33:40 PM »
I would also add that Zone blocking does not guarantee a double team will happen at the same point or at all.  As Mike points out its strictly based on how the defensive front lines up play to play.  Also has to do with the play you call based on the DL alignment.   

Is it complicated perhaps at first it can be.  As mike also says the more reps they get the less "malfuntions" will happen.  With that in mind  I would  take a Page from Rich Kelly and say that if you are going to teach Zone you do it across the entire front and not be concerned too much about IZ and OZ at the youth level.  That way its always A or B with little to no "Thinking" required.

just my thoughts  ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:35:45 PM by CoachShad »
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Coach Big B

• Silver
  • Hybrid Pistol Attack (Pistol/TFS)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Pistol
  • Title: Coordinator
The Red Zone Show (Host/Producer)

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit."

Coach Vince Lombardi