Author Topic: more zone blocking stuff for those interested.....  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
more zone blocking stuff for those interested.....
« on: September 15, 2011, 10:10:30 AM »
brophyblog i believe, has a video up of a very buff mcnally explaining his zone blocking plays, sounds awful similiar to that of alex gibbs...but what do I know.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Re: more zone blocking stuff for those interested.....
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:49:33 AM »
Gibbs got a lot of his stuff from McNally.  I heard him once say he got a lot of his ideas from watching what the Bengals were doing with Ickey Woods.  He said he talked to McNally and "Some stuff he told me, some stuff he didn't, and some stuff he lied.  You know how that goes."

It was at C.O.O.L. in 2007, I think.

They've diverged, though.  McNally will pull, and Gibbs won't (at least as of 2007).
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:17:51 AM »
Gibbs got a lot of his stuff from McNally.  I heard him once say he got a lot of his ideas from watching what the Bengals were doing with Ickey Woods.  He said he talked to McNally and "Some stuff he told me, some stuff he didn't, and some stuff he lied.  You know how that goes."

It was at C.O.O.L. in 2007, I think.

They've diverged, though.  McNally will pull, and Gibbs won't (at least as of 2007).
gibbs and his one liners........what is the one? "it is like talking about the size your  d ck....everybody lies."
god bless alex gibbs.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
That was about line splits.

"We say 18 inches, but you know how that goes..."
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Coach TonyM

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:55:18 PM »
It was really really tough for me to grasp the zone blocking idea... but once you do it is so simple. Now getting the kids to understand it is another thing alltogether.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »
It was really really tough for me to grasp the zone blocking idea... but once you do it is so simple. Now getting the kids to understand it is another thing alltogether.
we tried to do it, the problem we had is that we had coaches who tried to give them solid rules....and coaches who had no idea what they were talking about.....you cant have either to install it.

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 03:02:40 PM »
we tried to do it, the problem we had is that we had coaches who tried to give them solid rules....and coaches who had no idea what they were talking about.....you cant have either to install it.

I am thinking of going with OZ/IZ next year and am trying to avoid both of the above described situations.  I have ordered the Alex Gibbs videos to begin the learning process as well as reading through here and the hawgtuff web site.

Any recommendations on an install schedule and method of teaching Zone Blocking?  One thing that i am confused on is the 0-4 counting and Zone.  When i read montjoy's material i understand the 0-4 to be assignment blocking as opposed to zone "block an area" and combo up.  I realize i am really new to these concepts and am probably misreading it.  Any pointers on this issue?

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
The numbering system is more advanced and can be more confusing.  Start with understanding the covered and uncovered concept and expanding to the numbering.  Bill and the others will be the first to tell you that Zone blocking does not guarantee a Double Team at a specific hole.  The concept is fluid, it can change every play, so your backs have to be taught to use their vision and patience to exploit the double teams or the seams created along the LOS. 

The backs who can delay and then BURST are better suited to this concept.  JMHO

Folks will correct my errors. 

;)
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 04:11:46 PM »
The numbering system is more advanced and can be more confusing.  Start with understanding the covered and uncovered concept and expanding to the numbering.  Bill and the others will be the first to tell you that Zone blocking does not guarantee a Double Team at a specific hole.  The concept is fluid, it can change every play, so your backs have to be taught to use their vision and patience to exploit the double teams or the seams created along the LOS. 

The backs who can delay and then BURST are better suited to this concept.  JMHO

Folks will correct my errors. 

;)

i have some good quick backs so that is why i am thinking in this line.  Don't know if they can read and burst but am going to find some ways to drill it this off season to assess the potential.  Thanks for that clarification.  To summarize the the numbering system is related and more advanced.  The covered/uncovered would be the foundation and the right place to start.  Correct?

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 05:08:41 PM »
I am thinking of going with OZ/IZ next year and am trying to avoid both of the above described situations.  I have ordered the Alex Gibbs videos to begin the learning process as well as reading through here and the hawgtuff web site.

Any recommendations on an install schedule and method of teaching Zone Blocking?  One thing that i am confused on is the 0-4 counting and Zone.  When i read montjoy's material i understand the 0-4 to be assignment blocking as opposed to zone "block an area" and combo up.  I realize i am really new to these concepts and am probably misreading it.  Any pointers on this issue?
Start with covered and uncovered and the various defensive structures. Getting your linemen comfortable with chatting. timing up step with the qb and bc. teach your bc to read the defense.He can be wrong....and that will lead more than likely and less gifted bc.
Get basic calls. C call, G call, and a T call. A c brings an uncovered center to help a playside guard, G call brings an uncovered guard to help a covered tackle, and T call brings an uncovered  Tackle to help with cerain covred te's. start there. there is a ton more.....but with a little research you will figure it out pretty quick, I will help where I can.

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 05:29:10 PM »
Start with covered and uncovered and the various defensive structures. Getting your linemen comfortable with chatting. timing up step with the qb and bc. teach your bc to read the defense.He can be wrong....and that will lead more than likely and less gifted bc.
Get basic calls. C call, G call, and a T call. A c brings an uncovered center to help a playside guard, G call brings an uncovered guard to help a covered tackle, and T call brings an uncovered  Tackle to help with cerain covred te's. start there. there is a ton more.....but with a little research you will figure it out pretty quick, I will help where I can.

Thanks for the offer of help.  I will keep reading and formulate some questions.