Author Topic: Is it worth teaching inside zone now?  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Is it worth teaching inside zone now?
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:36:58 PM »
Our season is half over. Our primary play is sweep with an occasional power or "wedge". We don't really have any between the tackle plays and I'm not real fond of traps. Would you teach IZ blocking at this stage of the season to compliment the outside runs?

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Is it worth teaching inside zone now?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
You don't date zone, you marry it.  Unless you're Wisco, maybe.

And could you actually teach it?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 03:54:41 PM »
Simple Between the Tackles play is an ISO.  Don't need any fancy blocking rules but you do need to know where the bubble is for the particular defense your facing.  Know that and how they adjust and its a great play. 
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »
Our season is half over. Our primary play is sweep with an occasional power or "wedge". We don't really have any between the tackle plays and I'm not real fond of traps. Would you teach IZ blocking at this stage of the season to compliment the outside runs?

Not unless you are planning for next year, and as stated above zoe is how you run your offense not part of t
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »
lol....Well, I found out real quick that the answer to my question is an unresounding NOOOOOO!!!  I attempted to start teaching some zone tonight, but the kids were so unruly that I gave up after 5 minutes. I'll stick with our sweep schemes. They've carried us pretty good offensively so far. And yes, I'll just go with an iso/blast.

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »
Simple Between the Tackles play is an ISO.  Don't need any fancy blocking rules but you do need to know where the bubble is for the particular defense your facing.  Know that and how they adjust and its a great play.

This.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
I am an I Formation Team.  I teach the I and we work it until we get it right.  I dont change or add anything until we establish what works for the kids at hand.  I know the plays work they are time tested and proven commodities.  The problem with changing things are as follows:

A) You haven't spent near enough time for the new material to get established.
B) Because you need to spend time on the changes, the old material gets rusty.
C) Conflicting blocking schemes confuse both you and the kids.

There are of course more reasons but you get the drift.  I know folks run "Multiple systems", I know it can be done but, I am a died in the wool believer that you have a core philosophy.  You have to understand how to make the plays work and what plays should work against certain opponents (defenses).  Otherwise, your just running plays and hoping something works.  Each offensive "system" has plays that work against every defense.  I also know that if you dont execute well, it doesnt matter what system or plays you run, they aren't going to work.

I have struggled mightily this season to get my kids to FOCUS for more than one play or one series.  As such I know its execution that is killing us, not the system.  I say keep working what you know and its up to them to execute.   ;)

Offline jem

• Silver
  • "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Option
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
Once again I amazed at how the zone play is misinterpreted.
the inside play is truly the cutback play......not the outside zone play.....to pre determine this play is equivelant to running triple and pretermining the keep, give, or take......in both cases you are wasting your time if you are not allowing and teaching the true nature of those plays.

:)
"I truly believe it’s not what you know – it’s what you can teach."  Tony DeMeo

"Victory is always possible for the person who refuses to stop fighting."  Napoleon Hill

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:14:40 PM »
the inside play is truly the cutback play......not the outside zone play.....to pre determine this play is equivelant to running triple and pretermining the keep, give, or take......in both cases you are wasting your time if you are not allowing and teaching the true nature of those plays.

+1
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline coachJR

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 07:56:23 PM »

Agree!  And I think this is where many coaches fail to realize that coaching the zone to the OL is only half the battle.  You must properly train the zone back to press the hole, and read hats.   It's not simply "hit the 2 hole", or "follow the FB".   It's "Press the Hole, read the hat of the proper DL, make one cut and live with it."
"Hindsight is 50/50."

Patrick Fain Dye

Coaching HS now.  We run DW from the shotgun spread, and 3-4 Defense.

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »
to add to this, the fullback must be trained to read the same thing the back is taught to read.....

What are some good resources to review for training the backs to run IZ and OZ? 

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
We don't run zone, but the Inside Zone and Outside Zone DVDs, by Alex Gibbs, from Gilman Gear, are probably a pretty good start.  I never get tired of watching them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:15:23 PM by Michael »
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Online mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
to add to this, the fullback must be trained to read the same thing the back is taught to read.....

Z

I came to the conclusion at the youth level to never lead the FB into the zone...he just gets in the way. So...we either do not incorporate a FB or he will pin the backside.

That has cleared things up for us in a big way. 
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 03:29:31 PM »
I totally agree that you need a different type of Back for the Zone Concept.  I would also remind those wishing to start this adventure that the backside blocking is equally as, if not more, important than the front side blocking.  The seams/cracks are what the backs are looking for to exploit.

I think it was Rich who suggests that you not worry so much with inside or outside zone schemes, that you go ZONE across the line and make it that much more simplified for the youth game.   

:( ;)

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 06:34:54 AM »
I totally agree that you need a different type of Back for the Zone Concept. I would also remind those wishing to start this adventure that the backside blocking is equally as, if not more, important than the front side blocking.  The seams/cracks are what the backs are looking for to exploit.

TOTALLY AGREE

I think it was Rich who suggests that you not worry so much with inside or outside zone schemes, that you go ZONE across the line and make it that much more simplified for the youth game.   

COMPLETELY DISAGREE  ;)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 07:36:01 AM by coachmsl »
What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!