Author Topic: Monuments  (Read 38882 times)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Monuments
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 11:48:04 AM »
The Gibbs DVDs are set to arrive on November 8th.

You can email C.O.O.L. and purchase just 2007, or maybe even just the Gibbs presentation from 2007.  Great stuff.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline seeindouble

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
I don't know how old these kids are, but here's clips of a youth team running zone in an Ace set. It's pretty amazing to see kids pulling it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8OQ7nppLQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLD6A591F02A30AFAE
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:14:13 PM by seeindouble »

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 12:11:50 PM »
That is my plan.  I don't really want to mix and match.  I will need to incorporate a passing game but from what i have read and seen the Play Action of the OZ play is really good and if i can get my QB to run (heck of an arm but really slow) then i get a boot play going.  My plan is to first figure out the running game portion and then build to the passing game and which routes work off the action both strong and weak.
get the gibbs tapes, watch houston texans, and if you can, while the schemes the playaction from indianapolis, 80s redskins, dont match blah blah blah....... plenty of passing stuff off the zone game......
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:35:55 PM by zoezachary »
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »
Of all the clinic videos and coaching tools I've looked at on the subject....this guy really seems to speak to me. If you have some extra cash its worth the purchase. George DeLeone. He has a few different series but I'd buy the all in one version. Zone, Combos, Pass blocking. 

https://www.coacheschoice.com/p-1771-teaching-offensive-line-blocking-progressions.aspx

There are subtle differences with each system so I guess you can say Im a DeLeone deciple.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
I don't know how old these kids are, but here's clips of a youth team running zone in an Ace set. It's pretty amazing to see kids pulling it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8OQ7nppLQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLD6A591F02A30AFAE

Thanks. 

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 01:13:38 PM »
Of all the clinic videos and coaching tools I've looked at on the subject....this guy really seems to speak to me. If you have some extra cash its worth the purchase. George DeLeone. He has a few different series but I'd buy the all in one version. Zone, Combos, Pass blocking. 

https://www.coacheschoice.com/p-1771-teaching-offensive-line-blocking-progressions.aspx

There are subtle differences with each system so I guess you can say Im a DeLeone deciple.

Feeling flush right now so i ordered via download.  Should make the business trips a little less boring ;)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »
Feeling flush right now so i ordered via download.  Should make the business trips a little less boring ;)

Dave

I believe you will glean some good stuff off of his methods.

I like his T-step for covered and slide step for uncovered. It marries up nicely with slide protection as well.  His thought process also helped me decide on what to do with a youth TE vs the typical youth Defense.

I don’t know if you post up TE’s with your Defense….but we use the T-step method when covered but in a reversed direction for positions that must post up TE’s. Really works well. So zone blocking has helped us on Defense as well.

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 01:43:36 PM »
Dave

I believe you will glean some good stuff off of his methods.

I like his T-step for covered and slide step for uncovered. It marries up nicely with slide protection as well.  His thought process also helped me decide on what to do with a youth TE vs the typical youth Defense.

I don’t know if you post up TE’s with your Defense….but we use the T-step method when covered but in a reversed direction for positions that must post up TE’s. Really works well. So zone blocking has helped us on Defense as well.

I have been running Clark's DCWT so my TE is normally releasing to the second level.  Going to Zone will be a change in direction however some of the footwork and hand work is similar to DCWT.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 01:51:54 PM »
I have been running Clark's DCWT so my TE is normally releasing to the second level.  Going to Zone will be a change in direction however some of the footwork and hand work is similar to DCWT.

We ran OZ with the DCWT with 10 year olds. Worked great.

Offline seeindouble

• Silver
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »

That lead me to break tradition and not read any first level defender while training backs. It was just too much information. So after going round and round we decided to read first 2nd level defender inside the monument for OZ. One player doing probably one thing….filling. Easy to read for the younger mind.

You probably could've taken it a step further and NOT have them read anything at all?
I mean really, how many youth LBs can read a zone combo and attack it, hell, HS,CFB, and NFL LBs have a hard time doing it.   

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
You probably could've taken it a step further and NOT have them read anything at all?
I mean really, how many youth LBs can read a zone combo and attack it, hell, HS,CFB, and NFL LBs have a hard time doing it.

SD

Without question a very good point. Zone can equal over thinking.

We started out reading nothing but then again these kids were 9 years old. We first had to get past the OT and OG climbing right away leaving the DT to crush our back. ???

Fortunately that didn’t take long.

Then I started to notice all of the yards we were leaving on the field so it was important to plant some kind of a read in the backs head. The pretty much benched my starting TB from the O because my FB was a zone RB phenom and saw everything but struggled with reading the DL…so after looking at film….it was the LB’r inside the monument that made 50% of all tackles….so….lets read him.

Problem solved.

That FB I speak of is now starting at the HS Varsity level as a LB’r and doing well. He is getting D1 offers as a Senior. I am very proud of him. The year we ran the DW he was just a spectacular wedge runner. I asked him one day how is it that he does so well running wedge….Coach….you taught me how to read and anticipate. I see the wedge happen before the snap.

Really?

Now that I think about it he was pretty special running Beast Blast as well. 

Some kids just see the forest thru the tress.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 03:01:38 PM »
it has nothing to do with reading linebacker....zero...nadda...zip....fooling linebacker is not the point....
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline seeindouble

• Silver
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
it has nothing to do with reading linebacker....zero...nadda...zip....fooling linebacker is not the point....

Look at this part of my post again, where does it say anything about a RB reading a LB.

"how many youth LBs can read a zone combo and attack it"

I know RBs don't read LBs in the zone game...

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »

Z

Do you lay on a bed of nails all day?  :D

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 09:44:02 PM »
Z

Do you lay on a bed of nails all day?  :D
Reading some of the misinformation put by certain contributors, It feels like I am being nailed to a bed of nails.....