Author Topic: Monuments  (Read 38855 times)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Re: Monuments
« Reply #165 on: November 12, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
McNally has new stuff every year.  He continually tweaks, and sometimes just throws something out and replaces it with something else.

Gibbs is a recluse.  The Florida tapes that turned up this year were like Stanley finding Livingston.  (And no, Mahonz, that's not a famous pass play.) :)

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:45:21 PM by Michael »
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #166 on: November 12, 2011, 03:52:30 PM »
McNally has new stuff every year.  He continually tweaks, and sometimes just throws something out and replaces it with something else.

Gibbs is a recluse.  The Florida tapes that turned up this year were like Stanley finding Livingston.  (And no, Mahonz, that's not a famous pass play.) :)

M

D you find that going to all of these clinics and or gathering all of this info that you gather to be confusing too you at times.

My next special pass pay will be called....Stanley find Livingston.  :)...right there with Bevis to Butthead and The Brown Special.  :)
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #167 on: November 12, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
Z

I have them....well they are older so I dont know if there are any new revelations. Plus a few others that I cant think of off the top of my head. Plus numerous posts that I have saved. At the end of the day you have to start somewhere.

DeLoene speaks to me more....so Im a DeLeone guy I suppose.

Football is difficult. I dont think any of us can ever change that. Otherwise all systems would be the same. How boring that would be.
their are revelations in those videos and then...it absolute how opposite you and I see things.....but it shouldnt amaze me at all.
I think adults make it difficult, when you really boil it down regardless of system, it really is quite easy and simple.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #168 on: November 12, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
M

D you find that going to all of these clinics and or gathering all of this info that you gather to be confusing too you at times.

My next special pass pay will be called....Stanley find Livingston.  :)...right there with Bevis to Butthead and The Brown Special.  :)
its amazing how much to digest in that last set of gibbs videos....
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #169 on: November 12, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
M

No.  It's all cool stuff.  It's a big deal for me to change my own stuff, so I don't just change every time I hear something new.  But I remember it, and it percolates, I guess you could say, and a lot of times, I eventually put it in, or it leads me down a road to something I end up putting in.

I never want to confuse my guys, so while I may have all sorts of ideas bouncing around in my mind, I make sure what my guys get from me is consistent and clear.

Gibbs once described McNally's mind as "all over the place", and anyone who has ever talked to me knows that that's right up my alley.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #170 on: November 12, 2011, 04:30:20 PM »
No.  It's all cool stuff.  It's a big deal for me to change my own stuff, so I don't just change every time I hear something new.  But I remember it, and it percolates, I guess you could say, and a lot of times, I eventually put it in, or it leads me down a road to something I end up putting in.

I never want to confuse my guys, so while I may have all sorts of ideas bouncing around in my mind, I make sure what my guys get from me is consistent and clear.

Gibbs once described McNally's mind as "all over the place", and anyone who has ever talked to me knows that that's right up my alley.

M

Yes we have talked on the phone many times.

Its an art form to have 4 conversations running concurrently....but dont change...I just learned how to keep up!
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »
M

Yes we have talked on the phone many times.

Its an art form to have 4 conversations running concurrently....but dont change...I just learned how to keep up!

So I am still limited to 4 when I talk to you? :)

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #172 on: November 13, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »
Matt

Dont sweat it bro....6 pages ago I was told reading LB'rs was unsound...and I still don't know why. Just more riddles was the answer.

I just feel bad for Dave...at least we all have the entire off season to help him come to a level of comfort....hopefully without the continual sidebars.

This is a really good flow though.  Just getting the basics down it appears that there are many versions.  ZZ theories of making line calls i still don't fully get but need to get through the next few pages of posts (I just finished moving so couldn't keep up).  I think i get the covered uncovered and have made it through part one of an Alex Gibbs DVD.  The monuments portion is perhaps the easiest of all.  Mahonz uses a LB for the monument, some coaches use EMOL, Gibbs uses first defender in from the EMOL (at least in this presentation he stated that he does not use the EMOL).  Regardless, that runner uses his read to make the cut and get some yards. 

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #173 on: November 13, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
I thought Gibbs uses end man and then the next guy inside on OZ and first man past the nose on IZ (and "a shade is not a man").  I'll have to go back and watch.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »
I thought Gibbs uses end man and then the next guy inside on OZ and first man past the nose on IZ (and "a shade is not a man").  I'll have to go back and watch.
you are right, i dont where monuments came from i have what i believe to be all the know alex gibbs tapes out their, and never heard the word monuments in my life. Land marks.....but that is not the same thing as the read.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2011, 11:52:05 AM »
A major key to zone for me is that you are NOT trying to pry open holes.  You are getting the defenders moving, and you are getting guys on them, and then holes will open up.  Then the runner has to find one of them.

I may be misinterpreting things, but that's how I look at it.

We don't run zone, but we use a lot of the concepts, especially that one.

Once you get a few seconds into a football play, everything is a mess.  Zone takes advantage of that, rather than being hurt by that.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2011, 12:00:31 PM »
A major key to zone for me is that you are NOT trying to pry open holes.  You are getting the defenders moving, and you are getting guys on them, and then holes will open up.  Then the runner has to find one of them.

I may be misinterpreting things, but that's how I look at it.

We don't run zone, but we use a lot of the concepts, especially that one.

Once you get a few seconds into a football play, everything is a mess.  Zone takes advantage of that, rather than being hurt by that.
its the old lombardi addage run to day light....and the dtdw'ers  and wing t  favorite of putting a defenders in a position where he cant be right. and if you run the bootleg, naked, keeper game, neither defensive end, emlos can be right.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 12:04:02 PM by zoezachary »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2011, 12:04:26 PM »
Our main rule for blocking is we don't care where you run your guy.  If you're on him, he's not making the tackle.  You can run him right at the ball carrier, and we'll STILL be OK.  Just be on him, and be nasty.

We do a ton of technique work, but that's the basic concept.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Benefactors
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
I have always been under the impression that Inside Zone seeks to move the defense vertically, where Outside Zone seeks to move the defense more laterally.  The intent of both is to develop and then exploit the openings that occur. 

Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:03 AM »
their are 3 defenders or 2 blockers correct? so what has to happen? you have to make a call to bring another offensive linemen into the equation.
You cant add the fullback because he cant be right ...especially when you are talking about the mike player.
to add those 3 defenders are going to be responsible for no less than 3 gaps....you have two blocker to defend those 3 gaps.

Z,

So this is the secret info?  I still dont get what you are saying?  Have you ever coached zone, or are you just going by what some pro coach has said on a DVD?
What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!