Author Topic: Monuments  (Read 38811 times)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Re: Monuments
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »
This has gone on long enough.  Z, I took offense to your communication methods to myself and other coaches.  I dont agree with some of your thoughts.  Regardless, I hold you harmless and look forward to reading your posts in the future.
so diplomatic.. PFFT!
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2011, 05:35:21 PM »
Gibbs is so far and away removed when it comes to what kids can accomplish fundamentally its ridiculous although his presentations are riveting….he sucks in paper coaches like Zoe.

Maybe I'm a paper coach, but I love watching Gibbs.  A lot of his stuff is about getting it done with lesser athletes, which should be perfect for all of the youth coaches who find themselves "stuck" with "MPPs" on the O-Line.  However, what I've taken from him is more a general approach and attitude than specific fundamentals or schemes.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
McNally is too willy nilly for me because he isn’t dealing with the literal mind every day.

What?

Maybe I'm too willy nilly, too, then, because his stuff has worked great for us.  Our run block (and we only have one) is almost pure McNally.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2011, 05:41:37 PM »
Mike,

I'll vouch for Mountjoy 1st hand,  I'm one of Bill's disciples, hands down the best mentor/Teacher I have ever had.

Bill talked me to that 6-2 with a 2 win team the previous 3 years,  our 1st year running it. 

After dealing with the mess I had 2 years prior, to me it was like night and day. 

That was with middle school kids though, however Bill has run it with kids as young as 9 I beleive. 

I think it's all how you relay it to your players, I'm lucky, I have access to so many fantastic Zone coaches, like Bill Mountjoy, Kevin Burns, a ton of other coaches, from the NFL, NCAA to top HS coaches. 

Material wise I have to give all of them an A+ and add a few more anything that improves YOU as a coach, improves your team, just have to have a little creativity, and get the power down to the road. 

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »
Maybe I'm a paper coach, but I love watching Gibbs.  A lot of his stuff is about getting it done with lesser athletes, which should be perfect for all of the youth coaches who find themselves "stuck" with "MPPs" on the O-Line.  However, what I've taken from him is more a general approach and attitude than specific fundamentals or schemes.

I love watching Gibbs too.  I dont think that makes you a paper coach.  Talk about what you mean by this please:

A lot of his stuff is about getting it done with lesser athletes, which should be perfect for all of the youth coaches who find themselves "stuck" with "MPPs" on the O-Line
What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2011, 05:44:19 PM »
I think it's all how you relay it to your players

The great teachers never get stuck with the kids who "just don't get it."  Funny how that works.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #201 on: November 19, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »
The great teachers never get stuck with the kids who "just don't get it."  Funny how that works.

Yeah they do, it's not that they just don't get it, it's that some don't care.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #202 on: November 19, 2011, 05:52:45 PM »

I love watching Gibbs too.  I dont think that makes you a paper coach.  Talk about what you mean by this please:

A lot of his stuff is about getting it done with lesser athletes, which should be perfect for all of the youth coaches who find themselves "stuck" with "MPPs" on the O-Line

The general attitude is all about finding solutions when you are out-manned.

"My guard was never as good a player as that 3-technique."
"He may be better than one of mine, but he's not better than two of mine."
"When they play the national anthem, I got eight guys."  (And he might have said seven.)
"I have never had a high draft choice."
"Playing left tackle is the hardest job in football, other than quarterback, so I'm not going to give him more to do."
"Live with the dirty play."
"I don't have a Mike Munchak out there.  (Coach) Mike Munchak doesn't have any Mike Munchaks, either."
"My tackle said his pass pro would improve 25% if he were in an up stance.  Done, end of story, you're up the whole game."

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #203 on: November 19, 2011, 05:58:44 PM »

"When they play the national anthem, I got eight guys."  (And he might have said seven.)
"Playing left tackle is the hardest job in football, other than quarterback, so I'm not going to give him more to do."
"I don't have a Mike Munchak out there.  (Coach) Mike Munchak doesn't have any Mike Munchaks, either."
"My tackle said his pass pro would improve 25% if he were in an up stance.  Done, end of story, you're up the whole game."
LOL! you have the whole thing memorized?????

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #204 on: November 19, 2011, 06:17:15 PM »

I took the Tacklle one to heart:

Our tackles had troubles 2 years ago.   I chalked it up to A)  Their job wasnt clear,  B) Their tech necessary wasnt repped enough, C)  I wasnt putting them in possition to be successful. 

This past year we changed schemes as well as vowed to protect the tackles by covering them as much as possible.  (In the run)

Scheme wise, we helped them by making their job the same every run play on the backside.  Zone on a track to MLB.  Use a bucketstep then rip low with backside arm.  If the DLM crosses your face, lock on and drive.  If you can beat him on your tracks, go next level.  This was great for us for many reasons.  Getting that 11 - 12 yo to believe that he can affect the play even from the backside was huge.  It also prevented penatration. 

This may be the furthest thing from what you guys do.  All im trying to say is that making a kids job easier with redunancy is helpful.  When you hear coaches say, we zone backside every run play, thats what their talking about.  Personally, we really liked it and it helped our takles.

Nice quotes.  Which one made the biggest impact on your staff?

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #205 on: November 19, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
Mike,

I'll vouch for Mountjoy 1st hand,  I'm one of Bill's disciples, hands down the best mentor/Teacher I have ever had.

Bill talked me to that 6-2 with a 2 win team the previous 3 years,  our 1st year running it. 

After dealing with the mess I had 2 years prior, to me it was like night and day. 

That was with middle school kids though, however Bill has run it with kids as young as 9 I beleive. 

I think it's all how you relay it to your players, I'm lucky, I have access to so many fantastic Zone coaches, like Bill Mountjoy, Kevin Burns, a ton of other coaches, from the NFL, NCAA to top HS coaches. 

Material wise I have to give all of them an A+ and add a few more anything that improves YOU as a coach, improves your team, just have to have a little creativity, and get the power down to the road.

Rich.  Couldnt agree more.  Bill and Kevin are the best.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
« Reply #206 on: November 19, 2011, 07:06:15 PM »
Rich.  Couldnt agree more.  Bill and Kevin are the best.

There are a "few" others, it's good brotherhood to be part of for sure..=;)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #207 on: November 19, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »

Here is my issue....and just my opinions.

That G at the youth becomes that 3 tech when on defense.

Playing OT is one of the easier jobs in youth fooball. Center is more difficult and since so many will pull at least the G....G is more difficult as well.

Thats why Gibbs and McNally rate lower in my book. They are great presenters...for coaches like Zoe. For me I need to amp things waaaaaaay down.

Others do a better job of that.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2011, 07:15:25 PM »
What?

Maybe I'm too willy nilly, too, then, because his stuff has worked great for us.  Our run block (and we only have one) is almost pure McNally.

M

You are the epitome of willy nilly but that works for you right now.

Fast forward 2 more seasons and you will have found your groove. Something you will truly hang you hat on…but that takes some time to prove to your own self.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2011, 07:17:42 PM »
Maybe willy nilly IS my groove.  McNally has been going since the 60s, and he's STILL tweaking.