Author Topic: Monuments  (Read 38825 times)

Offline CoachRCPT

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Re: Monuments
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
I have been doing a lot of reading on Zone blocking (IZ and OZ).  One thing mentioned here and in articles by Alex Gibbs in the importance of the running back understanding his monuments.  My understanding, in a very basic sense, is the for OZ the monument is the TE location at the start of the play and for IZ the monument is the tackle at the start of the play.  The read for the RB on OZ is the edge defender first and then the first player inside.  Regardless of the read he must press is monument and make the cut upon arrival to the monument.

Here is where i am confused (and a confused coach is a bad thing  ;) ).  My understanding is on OZ the RB is looking to determine if his first read gains the outside edge of the offensive player blocking him if he has he looks to his second read to determine if that defender has also gained the outside edge of the offensive player blocking him. 

So, Scenario 1 - Edge defender has not gained outside leverage - RB takes to the edge
      Scenario 2 - Edge Defender has gained outside leverage but next defender has not - RB cuts inside off of outside offensive Player (OT - OZ weak/TE OZ Strong)
      Scenario 3  - Both Defenders have gained outside Leverage - RB will cut inside off of second Offensive player (OG -OZ Weak/OT OZ strong).

Am I heading in the right direction of OZ?

For IZ i am clueless so far.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  I am going to need to teach this to 12/13 year olds next year.

Dave

As for monuments, I was taught the following for Middle School and HS level IZ and OZ. To help the RB's get N/S.

Inside Zone - Running back gets 1 step to make his cut and get N/S
Outside Zone - Running back gets 3 steps to make his cut and get N/S

That is a simple way to get it in a players head, if they start thinking too much they go E/W rather than N/S.  Just my experience, simple and easy.  I don't know if this helps.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2011, 05:51:08 PM »

As for monuments, I was taught the following for Middle School and HS level IZ and OZ. To help the RB's get N/S.

Inside Zone - Running back gets 1 step to make his cut and get N/S
Outside Zone - Running back gets 3 steps to make his cut and get N/S

That is a simple way to get it in a players head, if they start thinking too much they go E/W rather than N/S.  Just my experience, simple and easy.  I don't know if this helps.

RC

Everything helps since the RB is really the key.

Thanks for the nugget.

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline CoachRCPT

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »
RC

Everything helps since the RB is really the key.

Thanks for the nugget.

Mahonz

That is the key that most people overlook!  Rb is key to zone blocking, gotta be a one cut and go guy.  Steve slaton was best I ever saw. Got a chance to see Brandon minor atmichigan, when healthy he was made for zone.

Offline dbsesq

« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2011, 02:43:24 PM »
Mahonz

That is the key that most people overlook!  Rb is key to zone blocking, gotta be a one cut and go guy.  Steve slaton was best I ever saw. Got a chance to see Brandon minor atmichigan, when healthy he was made for zone.

Thanks for the nugget of information.  I am still digesting all of the information and reading but am getting a clearer picture for the RB's reads and the action he needs to take.  This does make sense and is inline with all the other material i am reading.  IZ is still on the horizon as my gibbs dvd is not playing in the lap top but OZ is becoming more and more clear.  It appears to actually be relatively simple concept that is long on reps but simple on rules.

Dave