Author Topic: Monuments  (Read 38828 times)

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Other
Re: Monuments
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2011, 02:11:09 PM »
Cool thanks for the info. 

If the play is going to the outside, why would it matter if the OG has square shoulders or not?

Take a 53.  DT in a inside shade on the OT.  Its important to get a hat on the playside backer.  Thats why we rip and run with OT, and Bucket overtake with the OG.  OT to OLB and OG to the DT.  We tell the OG he has to open his shoulders to get our hat to the playside armpit of DT.  His first aiming point is the shoulder of the OT, second playside armpit of the DT. 

Gotta run.
What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
Cool thanks for the info. 

If the play is going to the outside, why would it matter if the OG has square shoulders or not?

Take a 53.  DT in a inside shade on the OT.  Its important to get a hat on the playside backer.  Thats why we rip and run with OT, and Bucket overtake with the OG.  OT to OLB and OG to the DT.  We tell the OG he has to open his shoulders to get our hat to the playside armpit of DT.  His first aiming point is the shoulder of the OT, second playside armpit of the DT. 

Gotta run.

Matt

If that DT immediately attacks the OG and the OG is in the process of bucket stepping he is in a position to very quickly give up leverage to that DT since his shoulders are not square and his hips are turned and his demeanor is not in full run mode....generally. Even if the OT chips ( rip and run ) the OG can be at a bit of a disadvantage was my conclusion.

Plus learning to slide step right away lends itself to slide protection and speed blocking but at the end of the day both methods are accomplishing the same things...except I proved to myself that slide stepping allowed a much faster climb when cued to giddy up and just go.

Its an athletic move but plugs into what we like to do....so I committ to teaching the slide step. 
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2011, 05:11:14 PM »
Mike

I see merit in your approach.

I agree with what you were saying about the punch.  A good tough punch is so key.  Hand placement along with the forehead placement proved very important.

As far as counting goes, we introduced it early in camp.  Spoke of it when we blocked a different defensive.  But for the most part we talked about coverend/uncovered.  We repped the combos and base blocks and all that in indy.  But about 1/2 way through the season, we started over with all of our blocking schemes.  Like a refresher course.  When we reintroduced all of our schemes like they had never been taught them.  On zone night, we used the count method and covered/uncovered.  From then on they understood who there man was, and when they were in combo.  This helped.  In the future, the i will put more emphasis on numbering. 

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2011, 05:13:23 PM »
Hand placement along with the forehead placement proved very important.

Where do you have them put the forehead?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »
This is what we do. 

For OZ the playside armpit.
For IZ during the initial collision is the near armpit. 

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »
You put the forehead in the armpit?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
You put the forehead in the armpit?

Is that hard to picture?

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
Z

He is my best guess for your 43 scenario. Im not sure if a DG shaded over the backside of the C would count as zero....or if a CB or SS 7x3 would be included in the counting mix. My guess is he is too deep and probably considered a third level defender.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »
Mike

I see merit in your approach.

I agree with what you were saying about the punch.  A good tough punch is so key.  Hand placement along with the forehead placement proved very important.

As far as counting goes, we introduced it early in camp.  Spoke of it when we blocked a different defensive.  But for the most part we talked about coverend/uncovered.  We repped the combos and base blocks and all that in indy.  But about 1/2 way through the season, we started over with all of our blocking schemes.  Like a refresher course.  When we reintroduced all of our schemes like they had never been taught them.  On zone night, we used the count method and covered/uncovered.  From then on they understood who there man was, and when they were in combo.  This helped.  In the future, the i will put more emphasis on numbering.

Matt

Im all ears on this counting thing. Your success this season says it all.  8)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »
Is that hard to picture?

No, I can definitely picture it.  I'm just from the McNally "Don't get mired in the block" school, at least as far as the head is concerned.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »
Mike

I would help you anyway I can.

Matt

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:17 PM »
No, I can definitely picture it.  I'm just from the McNally "Don't get mired in the block" school, at least as far as the head is concerned.

Yah I hear you on that.  Did you see how he teaches the punch and the footwork for the combo.  WAY beyond what we could do.  What did he call that, high leg or something.  We are working with 11 and 12 year olds. 

Good z in the hips with the arched back/head up.  Sounds like good form right.  Well if your hips are together, while using good form, your head might as well be attached to the shoulders.  Not trying to sound snippy.  We really looked at this and when did fit freeze, and followed up with live blocking, we had much more success with the face engaged in fit, punch, drive to backer and come of as late as possible on your backer. 

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2011, 09:58:34 PM »
Post leg or high leg, I think.

We don't zone (although I probably want to use it against stacks next year), and we don't double-team, but we work the same principle for one-on-ones, even with the little dudes.  We get position with the feet, obviously, but we always think about doing it with the knee rather than with the foot.

Our goal with the head is to look up into the defender's eyes.  Keeps us low and keeps the head up.

I had 5-8, 13-14, and 11-12 at various points last year.  Somehow I missed the 9-10 gang. :)

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2011, 05:38:38 AM »
Z

He is my best guess for your 43 scenario. Im not sure if a DG shaded over the backside of the C would count as zero....or if a CB or SS 7x3 would be included in the counting mix. My guess is he is too deep and probably considered a third level defender.
for sake of this conversation lets he is over the guard. That makes the mlb or mike zero. the defensive tackle is olb is two, de is 3.
1.who has zero in this alignment?

do another drawing either on paper or on here, move zero over the outside shade of the guard But dont keep mike labeled zero. then tell me what you see on paper. and it does matter whether its weak or strong.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2011, 06:25:48 AM »
Post leg or high leg, I think.

We don't zone (although I probably want to use it against stacks next year), and we don't double-team, but we work the same principle for one-on-ones, even with the little dudes.  We get position with the feet, obviously, but we always think about doing it with the knee rather than with the foot.
Our goal with the head is to look up into the defender's eyes.  Keeps us low and keeps the head up.

I had 5-8, 13-14, and 11-12 at various points last year.  Somehow I missed the 9-10 gang. :)

Why the knee not the foot.