Author Topic: Zone questions  (Read 1293 times)

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Other
Zone questions
« on: December 22, 2011, 01:34:51 AM »
1. I know the rule is we dont chase players. What does your olineman do if he climbs to the 2nd level and the LB is running away from him? Does he look back inside,wait for the lb to come back and seal him off or does he go to the safety?
2. Does anyone use cut blocks on the backside? How do you teach this to be done safely?
3. In a stack situation ala 3-3 does the G-T read the LB over the DE ONLY? I keep thinking if they dbl the DE and the stacked backer goes outside as the MLB over the NG goes in they both come off and leave the DE unblocked. Or would the MLB be the Centers man since he is stacked on the NG?
I'm sure ill come up with more.  ;)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: Zone questions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:57:32 AM »
1. I know the rule is we dont chase players. What does your olineman do if he climbs to the 2nd level and the LB is running away from him? Does he look back inside,wait for the lb to come back and seal him off or does he go to the safety?
2. Does anyone use cut blocks on the backside? How do you teach this to be done safely?
3. In a stack situation ala 3-3 does the G-T read the LB over the DE ONLY? I keep thinking if they dbl the DE and the stacked backer goes outside as the MLB over the NG goes in they both come off and leave the DE unblocked. Or would the MLB be the Centers man since he is stacked on the NG?

B

1. If he waits he is chasing.

2. Yes but am thinking we will sift  block from here on out. Im on the wrong computer to explain but its somewhere on this forum if you do a search.  Cutting to the ground is a waste of a good player. Cut and scramble requires an athlete. There is no safe cut and why we NEVER cut our own. Always on bags for drilling and during team the player getting cut will grab a dummy.

3. The only read on a LB'r is if he is on the LOS. Otherwise read the situation right in front of you. That's the beauty. Covered do this, uncovered do that regardless of what defense you are facing. At the snap...follow your rules and block the defense per those rules.

***the only oddity in all of this is the TE position. If you incorporate a lead block from the backfield then the TE can do this....if not he might have to do that. If we are running a FB or H back in the mix the TE will reverse his direction and block to the inside then out. If we are running an ace back then the TE must follow the same rules as the OT next to him.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:13:47 PM »

1) assuming you are referring to an uncovered lineman, block 1st defender to show

2) I did, but I wont with kids under HS age, a) Because they have a tendency not to recognize when a block is legal or not b) Refs call it alot legal or not.  If I'm coaching a HS team we are going to cut, but make note you DONT HAVE TO

A little confused on what you are asking here, in a 3-3 there is no DE,  Stacked fronts are a VERY bad idea vs zone teams, we refer to them a "food"

Lets say you are going to run tight zone to our right

C/BSG will Combo the N, reading the Mike, if Mike goes playside, the C peels off to pick him up, if backside , the G peels off to pick him up.

Depending what tech the DT is playing, for sake of this discussion lets just say he's in a 4 (Head up on the OT) the PSG , and PST will combo on the Down lineman, reading up to the backer, if he goes playside, the T has him, backside, the G has him. 

Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline Dusty Ol Fart

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:40:43 AM »
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:40:27 PM by CoachShad »
Not MPP... ONE TASK!  Teach them!  :)

Offline coachmsl

• Copper
    • Youtube
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 07:00:28 AM »

We didnt discuss this with our kids.  Maybe we should have.  I have heard the term, but never had an understanding, so we didnt teach it.

We did not.  Like mike says, concerned about a high/low.

Look at the numbers:

...................................-3....-1.....2................
...................................-2.....0......1................
....................................t..g..C..G..T.............

t -2
g -1
C 0
G 1
T 2

Combos = g/C  G/T

What makes the grass grow?...........BLOOD!