Author Topic: Outside Zone....Running the Defense Horizontal  (Read 13315 times)

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
  • Read Only Account. Please no PM's or Emails
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
Re: Outside Zone....Running the Defense Horizontal
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2010, 03:34:12 PM »
Alabama Zone blocks BEAUTIFULLY (see BCS game vs Texas):

YOU TUBE VIDEO OF ALABAMA 'PUNCH' BELOW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2soGdWmbKWI&feature=related

GOOD ARTICLE (especially about "Hand Placement"):

Tide offensive line takes pride in streak
Robert Sutton / Tuscaloosa News

By Chase Goodbread Sports Writer

Last Modified: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 at 11:30 p.m.

TUSCALOOSA | It happened on a first-and-10 play in Lexington, Ky., in the second quarter of a 38-20 University of Alabama win over Kentucky. Greg McElroy dropped back and threw incomplete on a pass intended for Marquis Maze.

Anyone remember it?

If you're looking for plays that helped shape the Crimson Tide's Southeastern Conference Championship season, perhaps you should.

It doesn't rank on the list of Kodak moments that have brought UA within a game of its 13th national championship. It won't be immortalized in pricey artwork like Terrence's Cody's game-ending blocked field goal against Tennessee, or emblazoned on the cover of Sports Illustrated like the Colin Peek fingertip touchdown catch that broke the backs of the defending national champion Florida Gators.

But it was the last time Alabama's offensive line was flagged with a holding penalty.

'I think it means that we are playing with good technique and hand placement,' UA coach Nick Saban said. 'They are fundamentally doing a good job, and I think that is a credit to each and every one of them in terms of focus and attention to detail that they prepare with and play with. I also think it's a credit to the coaches and the coaching staff who work with them to get them to do that. This group does a really good job of preparing for the game. They are smart. They play smart, and they execute well.'

The streak has been a quiet one, but its silence belies its impact.

Eight games, 34 quarters, and 582 offensive snaps — that's how long it's been since left tackle James Carpenter was flagged for holding on McElroy's otherwise forgettable incompletion against the Wildcats.

Anyone remember it?

If you're looking for plays that helped shape the Crimson Tide's Southeastern Conference Championship season, perhaps you should.

It doesn't rank on the list of Kodak moments that have brought UA within a game of its 13th national championship. It won't be immortalized in pricey artwork like Terrence's Cody's game-ending blocked field goal against Tennessee, or emblazoned on the cover of Sports Illustrated like the Colin Peek fingertip touchdown catch that broke the backs of the defending national champion Florida Gators.

But it was the last time Alabama's offensive line was flagged with a holding penalty.

'I think it means that we are playing with good technique and hand placement,' UA coach Nick Saban said. 'They are fundamentally doing a good job, and I think that is a credit to each and every one of them in terms of focus and attention to detail that they prepare with and play with. I also think it's a credit to the coaches and the coaching staff who work with them to get them to do that. This group does a really good job of preparing for the game. They are smart. They play smart, and they execute well.'

The streak has been a quiet one, but its silence belies its impact.

Eight games, 34 quarters, and 582 offensive snaps — that's how long it's been since left tackle James Carpenter was flagged for holding on McElroy's otherwise forgettable incompletion against the Wildcats.

'That's a testimony to (offensive line) Coach (Joe) Pendry,' said center William Vlachos. 'He really focuses on getting your hands inside. When you focus on doing that in practice every day, you don't have to think about it in the game — you just go out and it happens. If you're not holding in practice, the game will take care of itself. That's helped our team not being flagged for holding penalties.'

UA defensive end Lorenzo Washington sees that technique every day in practice and knows well that Pendry has a strong hand in it.

'You think Coach Saban pays attention to detail? Coach Pendry is right up there with him,' Washington said. '(Pendry's) been around the game longer than any coach on the staff. He knows what he's talking about and everyone respects him. He demands so much — if someone messes up, they'll instantly repeat the play.'

UA was flagged for several holding penalties over the second half of the season on kickoff returns, including two against South Carolina. But none have come from the offensive line. In fact, penalties of any kind have been few and far between for the UA offense. Over the last six games, Alabama's offense has been flagged only seven times for just 27 yards.

Peek, a senior tight end who transferred from Georgia Tech, noted that effective blocking doesn't require holding.

'It comes down to two things: first, are you soft or do you want to get your nose broken? That's what blocking's all about. If you're scared to get your face hit around, then you're not going to be a good blocker,' Peek said. 'Then it comes down to fundamentals and technique. If you have a good base and take the correct steps, and most importantly you keep your hands inside and be able to drive from low to high, you're able to have great success, especially against players who may be bigger or stronger than you.

'Ultimately fundamentals do take over against athleticism sometimes. Florida had tremendous athletes who one on one might kill you. But when you take the right steps and everyone is doing the right schemes on the running plays, has their hands inside, and making good calls, it's technical precision.'

Reach Chase Goodbread at chase.goodbread@tuscaloosanews.com.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:51:41 PM by BillMountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline defensewins

• Bronze
  • Coaching: College
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2010, 05:46:28 PM »
mahonz-

under front:

---------------6----7------------------------------
----------1-2---3----4--5----------------------------
-----------0-0-x-0-0-0---------------------------------

sam backer walked up to a 9 tech; shade and 5 tech strong; 3 tech and 5 tech weak.  PSLB in the B gap, WSLB in A gap.

my original question would be different situations as to how to deal with the "7" LB screaming to scrape over the top, especially considering the "6" LB can still play cutback.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 06:43:28 PM »
The OUTSIDE ZONE cannot be adequatly explained by posts (it must be SEEN).

On the OUTSIDE ZONE (at least how Alex Gibbs teaches it) - the RB's READ is 4, & he won't attempt to go outside the man you number as 5 (SAM) because he is CONTAIN & will stretch with the reach of the TE.  This means the RB will cut UP over the original align of the TE, & will PROBABLY end up behind 4 90% of the time (who will be STRETCHED beyond TE's original align), & maybe EVEN 3 (shade).

If you watch cutups of Alex Gibbs - you will see the above scenario MOST of the time.  You CANNOT visualize the play in your mind (IMPOSSIBLE) - you must see END ZONE CUTUPS to "believe your eyes"!  SEE VIDEO BELOW (the play is going to cut up 90-95% of the time - they don't CARE about getting outside 5 "Sam", or even 3 & 4)!!!

TE reaches 5

RG & RT Zone from 4 to 7 (if 7 scrapes outside quick - FINE - it's going to cut UP anyway)!

C reaches 3 (if 3 widens beyond original align of TE - FINE - just stay on him & LET HIM GO WHERE HE WANTS)!

LG pulls 3 steps - turns up - cut 6's legs out from under him.

LT reaches 2.

QB takes care of 1 (& DELAYS 6) with fake of BACKSIDE KEEPER for 5 steps.

I have just described EXACTLY HOW Alex Gibbs (& we) block that situation!

PS:  DEFINITION of an "UNDER FRONT" = Strongside Guard Uncovered (by DLM)

CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO OF ALEX GIBBS' BLOCKING:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d80aec9cf/Billick-on-Denver-s-zone-blocking-scheme
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:48:55 PM by BillMountjoy »
My Contact Info: Coach Bill Mountjoy phone: 804-716-7038 EST /  Email: butzadams@hotmail.com

Offline seeindouble

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »
Bill, I was at the Miami spring game this past weekend, fast forward to :35 of this video, and watch how Miami runs their zone running scheme under O-Line coach Stoutland. Thing is, from reading your posts about the zone blocking scheme, felt like I knew what was coming next...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zq9A11g7OU

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 09:12:50 PM »
Yes - that's it!  This play is NOT usually an "end sweep", but rather, a play that CUTS UP into the heart of the defense like a DAGGER!

Take another look at it:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-playbook/09000d5d80aec9cf/Billick-on-Denver-s-zone-blocking-scheme
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:40:42 PM by BillMountjoy »

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »
mahonz-

under front:

---------------6----7------------------------------
----------1-2---3----4--5----------------------------
-----------0-0-x-0-0-0---------------------------------

sam backer walked up to a 9 tech; shade and 5 tech strong; 3 tech and 5 tech weak.  PSLB in the B gap, WSLB in A gap.

my original question would be different situations as to how to deal with the "7" LB screaming to scrape over the top, especially considering the "6" LB can still play cutback.

DW

My answer is more simple...zone left.

1 and 2 hopefully go for a ride up, out and away from the backfield....

3 and 4 get cut

5 gets ignored

BSOT sifts to 7

...leaving the C to make the key block on 6.

I like gap defenders for zone. Easier to teach for the kids because these techs are nearly 100% one gap defenders...its the head up techs that can make the o-line chase if they are not fully diciplined.

If the D were to shift into this and we had called zone right....the QB would check check and call railroad...meaning we are mirroring the play and hopefully not running out of time to do so.

Coach Mike
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 12:48:23 PM »
ZONE TEACHING PROGRESSION:

DRILLING ZONE BLOCKING:

1. INDIVIDUAL: (bags OR live)

A) INSIDE ZONE

----1. Drive Block DLM

----2. Drive Block LBer

B) OUTSIDE ZONE

----1. Reach Block DLM

----2. Reach Block LBer

2. SMAll GROUP: (INSIDE & OUTSIDE ZONE TECHNIQUES - vs. bags OR live)

A) "2 vs. 2" (uncovered man & covered man work vs. a ILer & DLM).

-----1. DLM widens & LBer steps inside of DLM

-----2. DML pinches inside & LBer scrapes outside

-----3. DLM anchors on covered man & LBer moves behind DLM (reading the RB)

3. LARGE GROUP: (LIVE)

A) "5 ON 5" (Live - NO bags)

------------M
-----E--T-----T--E
-----O-O-C-O-O
-----------Q

-----------R

4-3 = Gives the Center a chance to zone with Guards (on zone TO callside)

----------B-----B
------E-----N-----E
------O-O-C-O-O
------------Q

------------R

3-4 Gives the Guards a chance to zone with Tackles (on zone TO callside) or Center (on zone AWAY callside)

B) "7 on 7" (Live - no bags)

-----------W----M-----S
--------E-----T-----T-----E
--------O-O-O-C-O-O-O
----------------Q

----------------R

4-3 = Gives the Tackles a chance to zone with the TE's (on zone TO callside), or the Guards (on zone AWAY callside)

NOTE: The "5 on 5" & "7 on 7" should be your best ("O") vs. best ("D"). Full speed with no tackling the RB. Benefits of these:

1. COMPETITIVE DRILLS VS. DEFENSE;
2. BLOCKING TECHNIQUES VS. BLOCK REACTIONS;
3. TEACHES TOUGHNESS!!!!!

4.  TEAM (11 vs. 11)

WR BLOCKING ON IZ & OZ:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 12:52:14 PM by BillMountjoy »

Offline defensewins

• Bronze
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 02:09:41 AM »
PS:  DEFINITION of an "UNDER FRONT" = Strongside Guard Uncovered (by DLM)

That wouldn't fit my definition as I don't consider a 34/50 or 30 stack as an under front. 

But, then again, maybe you define head up on the OL next to you as covered. 

Offline defensewins

• Bronze
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 02:14:57 AM »
DW

My answer is more simple...zone left.

1 and 2 hopefully go for a ride up, out and away from the backfield....

3 and 4 get cut

5 gets ignored

BSOT sifts to 7

...leaving the C to make the key block on 6.

I like gap defenders for zone. Easier to teach for the kids because these techs are nearly 100% one gap defenders...its the head up techs that can make the o-line chase if they are not fully diciplined.

If the D were to shift into this and we had called zone right....the QB would check check and call railroad...meaning we are mirroring the play and hopefully not running out of time to do so.

Coach Mike

Thanks Mahonz

I know that some coaches will crack with a receiver on that LB. 

It's not as big of a deal if the 5 tech and 9 tech get reached, but I digress. 

Checking it at the line makes a lot of sense.  I've just never been comfortable with anything on offense if I have to check out of it vs. X front.  Defensively, I like that situation a lot!

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 12:42:01 PM »
Thanks Mahonz

I know that some coaches will crack with a receiver on that LB. 

It's not as big of a deal if the 5 tech and 9 tech get reached, but I digress. 

Checking it at the line makes a lot of sense.  I've just never been comfortable with anything on offense if I have to check out of it vs. X front.  Defensively, I like that situation a lot!

DW

Checking a play call takes experience but I do allow a simple railroad call whereas the QB would simply count the box to include a hanging DE....we called zone right...he sees this alignement with 4 right of center and 3 left of center...railroad.

If your defense is a shifting defense....that is tough.

I also like to trap odd techs for the same reasons I listed...its easy for the linemen to figure out with a nice clean read.

Coach Mike

What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »
That wouldn't fit my definition as I don't consider a 34/50 or 30 stack as an under front. 

But, then again, maybe you define head up on the OL next to you as covered.

LOOK AT MY DIAGRAMS OF THE 5 BASIC FRONTS AGAIN ATTACHED AT BOTTOM):

34/52 & 33 Stack are all under the OKIE category, because both Guards are uncovered.

No, an UNDER to us simply means the G on the TE side is UNCOVERED.  If the Shaded Nose in the UNDER FRONT moved over on that GUARD - it would then be an EVEN front simply because the Center is NOW uncovered.

What are YOUR "categories" of FRONTS?  We like to narrow ours to FIVE - because it is SIMPLE, & all fronts fall neatly in those categories!  It's the EASIEST method WE have come across.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:49:35 PM by BillMountjoy »

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2010, 04:50:24 PM »
I would define an under front as any alignment featuring a 1 tech to the tightside and a 3 on the open side (13 front).  Consequently, an over front simply indicates a shift to the tightside with a 3 tech on that side and a 1 (weak shade) or 2 to the open side (31 front).

Maybe this is oversimplifying over and under fronts, but, that's what I've always used as my definition anyway.

Dave Hartman
CYFL Coach

"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »
Dave - thanks a million for the DVD's!!!  Anything I can do for you - just let me know.

ALMOST all 4-3 OVERS we see have a SHADE NOSE weak & a 3 strong.  We call that an "OVER" to differentiate from a 4-3 with a 1 or 2I weak - which we consider "EVEN" because the Center is totally uncovered (we didn't want to confuse the kids re: "EVEN" because we also see two 3 techniques, 2 (SLANTING) head up 2 techniques, etc, so - if Center is uncovered (to us at least) that is "EVEN".

There are a LOT of ways to do this - but as long as we can lump ALL the fronts into 5 LOGICAL categories (in my ATTACHMENT in my previous post) we are happy.

1.  OKIE = both G's uncovered (3-4, 5-2. 3-3, etc.)

2.  EVEN = Center uncovered

3.  OVER = weak Guard uncovered

4.  UNDER = strong Guard uncovered

5.  SOLID (AKA: "Bear") = Center & both Guards covered.

PS: I am sending you something in a few minutes by email.  Should be of interest!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 06:35:02 PM by BillMountjoy »

Offline cyflcoach

• Copper
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2010, 06:46:56 PM »
Glad to hear that you got them coach.  The experience and wisdom you share with everyone is more than enough thanks for me.

Dave :)
"It's not the will to win that matters - everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters."

Paul "Bear" Bryant

Offline Pearls of Wisdom

• Gold
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
Another way that the CATEGORIZATION of FRONTS (into 5) makes blocking rules much EASIER.

Just one Example:  If I am the Strong Guard on an OZ play to my side - My "NUMBERED" man is #1 - but I also know the following:

1.  On ALL  "UNDERS", & "OKIES" = I zone with the ON T.

2.  On ALL "EVENS", & "OVERS" = I zone with the CENTER.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 11:32:55 PM by BillMountjoy »