Author Topic: Yet another Counting Thread....  (Read 1517 times)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Head Coach
Yet another Counting Thread....
« on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:27 PM »
Ha…fooled you !

This is a play calling thread. 

A little background on my question.

We don’t get to play in fancy HS stadiums. If we did we wouldn’t be allowed to use headsets because of all of the idiots gone by that have tried to use cell phones to steal play calls while working the chains on an opponents sideline.

Even so….my experiences play calling from the skybox at the semi pro level were a bit sketchy at times because we had to purchase our own electronics and they didn’t always marry up with the stadium electronics.

Even the film I gather is crap because we cannot elevate higher than the highest ladder that can fit in ones truck. So flim study is just OK at times especially if the flimer is not familiar with filming a football game.

I even play called from a ladder about 10 years ago and our league quickly passed what is know behind the scenes as the Mike Erection Rule. Technically I was outside of the coaches box…coaching…so they killed that idea.

The reality is we cant see the difference between a 3 tech or a 4 tech from field level. Is the Center really covered by a 0 tech.  The D is bouncing around on you maybe even toggling fronts on you. We rely on the kids to tell us whats up with the alignments at times…so if you don’t teach them techs then you are screwed.

I triangulate the formations with 3 coaches to help read things but that only works when the formations are in-between the 30’s or so. Once the formations drive beyond the coaches box you lose your triangulation.

So play calling at field level is a challenge unless you run the UBSW. They have the luxury of simply counting the number of defenders on the short side and then by simple math they know what to call.

Do any of you think there is a way to better play call for zone when you cant see what is actually going on with the D? Is there a blatant tell all like counting the short side like the UBSW guys?  When to run IZ and when to run OZ or not to run zone at all, for example?

I was looking at Bill’s bubble article. Can any of us really see bubbles without the proper elevation?….angle? I say only if your horizontal splits are wide enough to differentiate the techs. I would like to NOT have to rely on wide splits just so I can see things.   

I have been thinking about this lately and keep coming up with snake eyes.

Any thoughts?   
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
Re: Yet another Counting Thread....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »
Mike Erection Rule

go hard or go home??
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 02:22:51 PM »

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »
Covered guys on the ball, uncovered guys off the ball.  (That's probably going to be my rule this year, anyway, because of the piggybacks.)

Covered guys in a 3, uncovered guys in a 2.

Guys that were covered raise a fist on the way back to the huddle, guys that were uncovered raise an open hand.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »
We don’t get to play in fancy HS stadiums. If we did we wouldn’t be allowed to use headsets because of all of the idiots gone by that have tried to use cell phones to steal play calls while working the chains on an opponents sideline.

How could you use a cell phone to steal a play call from a head set? 

Chain crew to my knowledge is always on the Home team sideline.  If they were on visitors sideline then it would seem the visitors would quickly realize if they were using their cell phones while working the chains.

I always wanted to call plays from the press box when we get to play at a high school.   There is a rule against it in our league too for some reason.   Fairness I guess. 

I think it would help me a lot.   I don't understand why NFL coaches like to call plays from the sidelines other than having immediate access to players.   

It seems like I can never see the whole field when I am on the sideline so I am always moving forward or back to get angles behind the offense and I have to hustle back to talk to QB or subs or signal play and I keep getting outside the 25 yard line and the other guys are yelling at me so we don't get a penalty and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Bottom line, I would rather coach from a box with headsets and an extra headset so I can talk to players too. 

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 12:24:13 AM »
How could you use a cell phone to steal a play call from a head set? 

Chain crew to my knowledge is always on the Home team sideline.  If they were on visitors sideline then it would seem the visitors would quickly realize if they were using their cell phones while working the chains.

I always wanted to call plays from the press box when we get to play at a high school.   There is a rule against it in our league too for some reason.   Fairness I guess. 

I think it would help me a lot.   I don't understand why NFL coaches like to call plays from the sidelines other than having immediate access to players.   

It seems like I can never see the whole field when I am on the sideline so I am always moving forward or back to get angles behind the offense and I have to hustle back to talk to QB or subs or signal play and I keep getting outside the 25 yard line and the other guys are yelling at me so we don't get a penalty and yadda, yadda, yadda.

Bottom line, I would rather coach from a box with headsets and an extra headset so I can talk to players too.

D

Some of the 8 th grade teams get to play in stadiums and all championship games are played in stadiums so the use of headsets has come up. Rule is no electronic devices allowed on the sidelines. I was told this was because parents have been caught while running the chains of stealing play calls by simply listening to an unsespecting coach while on the phone with a coach on the opposing sideline.  ::) ::) ::)

So never call your bread an butter Pro Right 23 Stretch. Call it Babble Sue to Mr Magoo Flying High.

Rule in our league is home team gets the choice of which sideline the chanis go on...I always pick the visitors sideline when we are the home team so I can always see them better. Most home teams for whatever reason pick their own sidelines for the chains when we are the visitors so we get to see the chains all season long most of the time. Although some crews insist the chains will be on x sideline just so they can powertrip for another two hours.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:37:43 AM »
I was told this was because parents have been caught while running the chains of stealing play calls by simply listening to an unsespecting coach while on the phone with a coach on the opposing sideline.  ::) ::) ::)

In our league, some of the chain gang guys just yell directly to the players on the field.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
I believe our league has a no cell phone use rule on the sidelines for everyone.  I have never had a problem with it to my knowledge.   I don't usually pay attention to the other sideline anyway unless the opposing coach is losing his mind or something or if he is encouraging his players to play dirty (this seems to happen a few times every year - most of the guys are gentlemen - always a few tools). 

On our sideline if there were dad's for the other team working the chains that could get weird I guess.  I make a lot of adjustments on the sidelines that could be reported back at halftime.   They are never there so it hasn't been an issue. 

All of our chains are on home side unless the field is weird and it isn't practical to use one sideline.  For instance we used to play on a h.s. practice field that bordered a ditch on one side (real safe right? I hated playing there).   So the chains could never be on that side.