Author Topic: 2012 HMS Voluntary Conditioning  (Read 3878 times)

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
  • Discipline. Toughness. Heart.
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Head Coach
2012 HMS Voluntary Conditioning
« on: June 07, 2012, 06:51:44 AM »
Have been installing the DC-UBSW and 33 Stack Attack throughout this summer. Yesterday worked on
20 Wedge,
47 Reverse,
67 Reverse,
49 Speed,
Jet 30 Wedge,
Jet 35 Trap,
Sweep Pass,
Quick Slant Pass,
Jet Pass, and Jet Pass Throwback.

Kids and coaches were very excited about the versatility and possibilities with this offense. I made clear to the team that the passes will be based on who can throw and catch; we can have anyone from the backfield throwing. TB, FB, QB, or WB.All six eligibles have a chance to catch or run the ball.

Plays weren't perfect, but only a few plays being harped on (16, 27, Sweep Pass, 20 Wedge), the kids ran it ran it reasonably well    ;D
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!

Offense: Pro Style
Defense: 3-4

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • "What me worry? I'm not far enough behind yet!"
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Re: 2012 HMS Voluntary Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
 :)   :)   :) 
"Football is for the kids - But let's win anyway."

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
Started today working on onside kick tests. Have several different ones we stole from Pulaski Academy. Afterwards we introduce the two kicker concept and the hunter-gatherer group that we use to recover the ball. Took a break and spent the remaining time on defense. We run JJ's 33 Stack Attack.

Worked on Cover Unit yesterday with coverage responsibilities while Stack unit worked on takeoff and rip technique. Finished with 7 on 7; our linemen acted as scout team receivers lol.

Was able to really teach the finer points of the Dogs, Reaper, and Corners. Overall a productive workout. Will work again next Tuesday.
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:32:14 PM »
Started today working on onside kick tests. Have several different ones we stole from Pulaski Academy. Afterwards we introduce the two kicker concept and the hunter-gatherer group that we use to recover the ball. Took a break and spent the remaining time on defense. We run JJ's 33 Stack Attack.

Worked on Cover Unit yesterday with coverage responsibilities while Stack unit worked on takeoff and rip technique. Finished with 7 on 7; our linemen acted as scout team receivers lol.

Was able to really teach the finer points of the Dogs, Reaper, and Corners. Overall a productive workout. Will work again next Tuesday.

I'll bet some here would like to see your offense practice on film.   :)

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »
Will do if I can get a camcorder thats worth anything ;)
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!

Offline JB

• Silver
  • "Hang Tough! Never, ever, give up"-Maj. D. Winters
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Other
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
Have been installing the DC-UBSW and 33 Stack Attack throughout this summer. Yesterday worked on
20 Wedge,
47 Reverse,
67 Reverse,
49 Speed,
Jet 30 Wedge,
Jet 35 Trap,
Sweep Pass,
Quick Slant Pass,
Jet Pass, and Jet Pass Throwback.

Kids and coaches were very excited about the versatility and possibilities with this offense. I made clear to the team that the passes will be based on who can throw and catch; we can have anyone from the backfield throwing. TB, FB, QB, or WB.All six eligibles have a chance to catch or run the ball.

Plays weren't perfect, but only a few plays being harped on (16, 27, Sweep Pass, 20 Wedge), the kids ran it ran it reasonably well    ;D

The base power play to weakside is WB to "3" hole. A "43"...surprised that DC did not include.We called it the "Sally" since it seems like all of us in these parts either played in, coached in, or both, the Wing T...

WB Sally (Counter)

QE: GDB
QG: GOD
C: MOOA
SG: Pull and kick
IT: Fill down hard for vacating SG
ST: Scoop
SE: Release to FS
BB: Pull through funnel and looks inside (2nd level)
FB: Scooch him over to his right a bit, take one step forward at snap, or else he will run into snap, his rt hand on lt hip of BB and pulls through funnel, has first bad guy (W or CB at 2nd level)
TB: Hand off to WB (inside handoff and sell run big time); can sell by ALWAYS having the TB fake a behind the back after every handoff
WB: Take one step back and go inside of TB, run inside of kickout!!! When get to 2nd level, get to sidelines, you find TDs by hugging sidelines

This sets up the most beautiful play in all of SW football. The TB keep off of the WB Sally, all is same, except FB now leads for TB (this is a good key breaker). The TB must FLASH ball to WB and then take BEHIND BACK to right arm (think basketball player), and hold hidden on rt hip. (TB does same action on WB Sally play, but is faking), WB must sell fake and get tackled (he will on a good fake, BTW, I've had DEs run right past the TB who has the ball).

This is the play that allowed our MS team to beat a veritable Monsters of Midway bunch in playoffs one year. The monster team (#1 seed) had just pasted the #3 seeded playoff team 46-6, and that losing team had beaten us soundly, the ambulance literally carted off two of the losing team's players the night of the 46 pt thrashing...I still have the tape. Anyways...this play absolutely confounded the Monster team that sweet night...as they had never seen it. We scored first TD of game on T Keep with the TB running right past DE or OLB (and I still have that tape lol).

Fellas...if you do not have this play...then don't run the SW.  8)

Speaking of which...some SW tid bits that you might have to pay for elsewhere. If you are coaching MS or older kids when playing the really good coaches like our own DC ( :D ... we kid b/c we love ya' DC !) who have scouted the heck outta' ya brother ... then ... you must, must, must (!!!!) run a 38 Sweep "Wrong Way" early in game. Instill doubt about keys EARLY IN GAME. Send the BB and SG the wrong way. This confounds the heck out of the LBers and now they no longer believe in their coach ... who has been preaching all week to KEY ON THAT DAMN BB!!

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:00:49 PM by JB »
"The big lesson in life, baby, is to never be scared of anyone or anything." Frank Sinatra

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »
The base power play to weakside is WB to "3" hole. A "43"...surprised that DC did not include.We called it the "Sally" since it seems like all of us in these parts either played in, coached in, or both, the Wing T...

WB Sally (Counter)

QE: GDB
QG: GOD
C: MOOA
SG: Pull and kick
IT: Fill down hard for vacating SG
ST: Scoop
SE: Release to FS
BB: Pull through funnel and looks inside (2nd level)
FB: Scooch him over to his right a bit, take one step forward at snap, or else he will run into snap, his rt hand on lt hip of BB and pulls through funnel, has first bad guy (W or CB at 2nd level)
TB: Hand off to WB (inside handoff and sell run big time); can sell by ALWAYS having the TB fake a behind the back after every handoff
WB: Take one step back and go inside of TB, run inside of kickout!!! When get to 2nd level, get to sidelines, you find TDs by hugging sidelines

This sets up the most beautiful play in all of SW football. The TB keep off of the WB Sally, all is same, except FB now leads for TB (this is a good key breaker). The TB must FLASH ball to WB and then take BEHIND BACK to right arm (think basketball player), and hold hidden on rt hip. (TB does same action on WB Sally play, but is faking), WB must sell fake and get tackled (he will on a good fake, BTW, I've had DEs run right past the TB who has the ball).

This is the play that allowed our MS team to beat a veritable Monsters of Midway bunch in playoffs one year. The monster team (#1 seed) had just pasted the #3 seeded playoff team 46-6, and that losing team had beaten us soundly, the ambulance literally carted off two of the losing team's players the night of the 46 pt thrashing...I still have the tape. Anyways...this play absolutely confounded the Monster team that sweet night...as they had never seen it. We scored first TD of game on T Keep with the TB running right past DE or OLB (and I still have that tape lol).

Fellas...if you do not have this play...then don't run the SW.  8)

Speaking of which...some SW tid bits that you might have to pay for elsewhere. If you are coaching MS or older kids when playing the really good coaches like our own DC ( :D ... we kid b/c we love ya' DC !) who have scouted the heck outta' ya brother ... then ... you must, must, must (!!!!) run a 38 Sweep "Wrong Way" early in game. Instill doubt about keys EARLY IN GAME. Send the BB and SG the wrong way. This confounds the heck out of the LBers and now they no longer believe in their coach ... who has been preaching all week to KEY ON THAT DAMN BB!!

Coach JB,

We have 43 Sally. In Clark's UBSW, it's called "47 Reverse". Will run "47 Reverse Keep" and " 18 Sweep Wrong" as we go through the season. Thanks!

Harrell
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!

Offline JB

• Silver
  • "Hang Tough! Never, ever, give up"-Maj. D. Winters
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »
Coach JB,

We have 43 Sally. In Clark's UBSW, it's called "47 Reverse". Will run "47 Reverse Keep" and " 18 Sweep Wrong" as we go through the season. Thanks!

Harrell

Coach--

Looking at DC’s hole numbering, it would be a “45”. This is a weak side off tackle counter play. Not a “sweep” or ”reverse”. It is the weak side power play for us.

Running WB Sally is far easier at older levels than the reverse. The reverse is a once, maybe twice a game call. We could run WB sally 7-8 times in a game. Sometimes more. Please be advised, I know this is for the ‘lil guys, so, if coaching older kids, the “45” play would become much more important.

The blocking on the 7 hole is much harder that the 5 hole if running play often during game and defense begins to sense what’s up.  BTW, 7 hole blocking (I’m talking “sweep” area outside of the QE) can be blocked a few ways. As kids get older, MS and above, and the DEs are taught how to defend the SW (i.e., they put a big @$$ 4 tech who squeezes down), its imperative to have a couple of blocking schemes for that hole: (1) a reach scheme or (2) a down and log scheme. For younger kids, I would not bother, but if at MS level and facing some serious coaching, then you made need both.

At least at older ages, the WB sally is setting up the WB reverse. The backside DE sees so much power and occasional 45, that if not already coached to, he begins to squeeze down. This sets up a 47. If with really experienced older kids, it really sets up and QE down and QG log scheme REALLY WELL for 7 hole. The BSDE sees the QE blocking down, and so he naturally squeezes down, making the log block by QG easy. This, is really advanced stuff, for older/experienced kids.

And for DC…this is why I do not espouse zone blocking at youth level bc a reach block is a b!tch to execute...well. If kids are really executing it, versus X and O message board BS, then they have put in some serious time in individuals.

Also, the TB Keep off of WB Sally is based on WB going inside of the TB. Very important.

BTW, on that 47, Keuffel would often sub out his TB and run a “37 TB Lead”. He’d sub in a slobberknocking BB at TB and the new TB would serve as the lead blocker. He’d also cheat that TB over to quickside. The BB can also be moved over to a weak BB position to assist with a DE as another formation adjustment. Can also go “split over” on 7 hole plays. The SE aligns as a split end quick side. He stalks/runs off CB.

Telegraphing play? Yes, but there are plays, that can be run back to strong. At younger ages, I would not worry about that and have these “adjustments” at the ready if needed.

Set me straight if I've got it wrong.  8)

JB
"The big lesson in life, baby, is to never be scared of anyone or anything." Frank Sinatra

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Ran a few plays yesterday using a QB, TB, FB, WB, Y, C, and LG.

49 Speed
Jet 24
Jet Pass FB Flat

First time in a while that we had enough guys to run some type of half-offense skeleton. Will try to get video in the near future.
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:08:12 AM »
Stuck with the basics on Thursday's camp. Practiced rip right and left, close-up tackle left and right for defensive work. For offense, we practiced down right and left, scoop block right and left, pull and kickout right and left, pull and seal outside-in and inside-out, and seal block. Finished with some strength training.

All in all, one of the most productive weeks this summer.
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 01:39:31 PM »
 8)   8)    8)

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
Well, when you work at the middle school, you run into positives and negatives as in any job. However, I will say I am disappointed with what recently happened.

Our local High School wants everyone from my level up to run the Hugh Wyatt Double Wing. Now, I like the DW; actually ran it at the HS level at another school with some success. But I was REALLY looking forward to running the SW that I know and love. This looked like it would have been the first year I could have ran it with no political issues. Found this out this week, after we have spent the vast majority of the summer working on the SW.

Plus, I prefer Markham's plays with Calande's blocking rules or JJ's version of the DW over Wyatt's. JJ's DW is super simple, and Markham is the creator of the DW; with him not having any blocking rules, Calande's GOOD GOD system would go hand in hand for maximum power. Wyatt's system is not as simple as JJ's nor as powerful as Calande/Markham's. It's more Wing-T based and has a weird numbering/playcalling system.

I'm pissed...but I know the rules. Varsity is what truly matters, so I'm falling in line.
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!

Offline DumCoach

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
 >:(

Offline coachkev

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:54:35 PM »
Hell of a time to get that curve ball thrown at you!  Bummer. Best of luck coach!

Offline William Harrell

• Copper
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 05:01:22 PM »
Appreciate it kev. I will get my shot to do things on my terms at some point. Just have to be patient in the process.
Hephzibah...PRIDE!!!